Jackskelling10's Armor (Please Comment!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmiller

Jr Member
Okay first I put the pep together (obviously)

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_2350.jpg

Then I went and fiberglassed it sorry no pics of this

Then I painted it.

IMG_2364.jpg

IMG_2362.jpg

IMG_2358.jpg

Now on to the back! lol. So what do you guys think? I know it's not nearly the best or really good, but I worked hard on it and I'm proud of it. Oh and the reason it looks bumpy is because I have this spray paint that simulates sand on surfaces. Figured, "Why not?"

Did you fiberglass the inside or outside? It looks like it could use some more sanding IMHO, but if you're happy with it to each his own.

the painting has some nice weathering effects to it, but I believe you are supposed to sand down the edges where they don't belong, the fiber glassing and bondo gives the piece the strength the undergo that sort of treatment be it inside the piece or outside the piece. a very good start though!

Akademee said:
the painting has some nice weathering effects to it, but I believe you are supposed to sand down the edges where they don't belong, the fiber glassing and bondo gives the piece the strength the undergo that sort of treatment be it inside the piece or outside the piece. a very good start though!

Its supposed to be battle-damaged lol. Im done with the front, but on the back Ill work harder

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the sand stuff. That is a great idea!! Akadamee had a good point, though. It looks like it needs some more sanding. There isn't quite as much detail as there should be yet. Keep up the good work!! :lol

Haven923 said:
I love the sand stuff. That is a great idea!! Akadamee had a good point, though. It looks like it needs some more sanding. There isn't quite as much detail as there should be yet. Keep up the good work!! :lol

I know, on the next parts I will add MUCH more detail. lol. but i'm keeping this piece how it is. lol. This was the low def version also which kinda stunk to use for detailing. Besides most people (other than 405th) that see me in it, wont be like "OMG THERE SHOULD BE AN INDENT THERE!". The helmet is the most recognizeable piece of the armor so i am going all out on that.

sand, add bondo, and add make it smoother. but other than that, its good. Seriously, sanding is an important step

noskid7 said:
sand, add bondo, and add make it smoother. but other than that, its good. Seriously, sanding is an important step

Can you guys give me some tips on where to work on it? like the neck? the bottom? Also when using a dremel how do you get the indents to look so smooth?

I think its pretty good for a first attempt. Practice makes perfect after all. The low def version definitely would make it harder to get all the details in, but I think you did pretty good for what you had. Keep it up! You'll only get better as you go!

And I think they are looking at the neck area when they are saying it could use more sanding. It does look a little rough.

Oh, and I think that sand spray paint stuff sounds pretty awesome lol.

I'm just scared that if I work excessively now on the neck piece, it will 1. Ruin the paint job (obviously) and 2. Cause damage.

JackSkelling10 said:
I'm just scared that if I work excessively now on the neck piece, it will 1. Ruin the paint job (obviously) and 2. Cause damage.

Ruining the paint should be expected, I painted my helmet 3 times before I was happy with how smooth it was. You shouldn't cause any damage if you don't get too overzealous with sanding, just make sure you apply bondo in thin coats each time to fill in the pits.

Update: I am re-doing my helmet (if anyone is interested in the old one, pm me.) I am also working with the arms now.

IMG_2510.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg

IMG_2512.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg

IMG_2474.jpg

Hey guys just a small update:

I just recently finished the re-done helmet and I'm gonna have to resin soon. My marching band director told us on the Friday before Halloween, we can wear our Halloween costumes when we march, so looks like this armor is gonna have to be a little bit stronger. I'll try to get pics/video of this. Also Ill upload the new helmet pics (I have marching band in like 20 minutes.

I got my visor, and I painted my armor. I am really happy with the helmet. I just need to paint in the detail and add the corregated tubing to the side. My brother was watching me take these and you can see his face in the reflection on the one. I also look fat for some reason XD. I also need a way to fill the space between the visor and the helmet. How can I do that?

IMG_2612.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

What i did was use latex clauk and clauked the crack around the visor and just smooth it out with you finger. But then i use white clauking and your helmets green so if mabe you could tape off visor around the clauking and spray paint the clauking the same color as your helmet that should do the job. Water can help wash away some of that left over clauking on the visor just make sure you wipe it like a little after you puit it on. Hope this help man and good luck keep it up! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back