Just checking... Need answer(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnishSpartan

Okay guys... I have a shopping list on what i am purchasing for my molds.

I just want to check that i have all that is required, If you have recomendations for better smoothon products please let me know.
(or if i need to leave something out).

Rebound 25 - 1 Gallon [10007361] $158.70
-(Liquid rubber)

Thi-Vex™II Silicone Thickening Agent - Pint [10005348] $13.39
-(Rubber thickening agent)

Ease-Release™ 200 - 12 oz Aerosol [10000873] $10.22
-(Release agent)

Smooth-Cast ROTO - 1 Gallon [10009999] $72.77
-(Liquid plastic)

Plasti-Paste - 1 Gallon [10001675] $49.31
-(Rigid shell)

TOTAL PRICE: $304.39

Is my list ok?

-Fin(n)ish

PS. (this could also be a list for other people)

Depends.... what are you molding? A helmet?

I wouldn't recommend buying all your materials at once. Buy just what you need for the next step in your process, and spread out your purchases. It's more affordable, and leads to less wasted product.

Those materials don't store forever once you're opened them y'know?

Sean Bradley said:
Depends.... what are you molding? A helmet?

I wouldn't recommend buying all your materials at once. Buy just what you need for the next step in your process, and spread out your purchases. It's more affordable, and leads to less wasted product.

Those materials don't store forever once you're opened them y'know?

Yes i'm molding a helmet.

And i want to buy all at once to save in shipping costs, US to Europe...
But it shouldnt take more then 2 days to mold a helmet once i get the materials... Right?

-Finnish

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. It will take as long as it takes. There are too many variables to make a generalization about the time needed.

A well made mold could take 2 days to 2 weeks to do properly. It is really dependant on your understanding of the process, and your experience in using these materials efficiently.

Sean Bradley said:
Nope. It will take as long as it takes. There are too many variables to make a generalization about the time needed.

A well made mold could take 2 days to 2 weeks to do properly. It is really dependant on your understanding of the process, and your experience in using these materials efficiently.

I agree with Sean, I made one mold in about 2 days and paid the cost for the rush. It took me the mess up + 2day to prep everything correctly +2 day molding. Then I let mine set for 48hour before removing.

DoC ByTeS said:
I agree with Sean, I made one mold in about 2 days and paid the cost for the rush. It took me the mess up + 2day to prep everything correctly +2 day molding. Then I let mine set for 48hour before removing.

Do you mean that i should get the stuff in less of a quantity? like Instead of 1 gallon i should get 0.5gallons?!
I will need all these materials to make one helmet right?

since i'm not going to open all these containers at the same i am just going to buy them at the same time... I dont want to lose money in shipping by shipping each of these products individually...

-Finnish

(PS. Please anwer if it was the quantity or the products you where talking about...)

What I'm saying is that most people don't seem to understand that they don't have to buy all of it at once. They start little "shopping lists" to see if they can "afford" making armor. What they don't get is that you don't need all the materials at once, so why buy them all at once? Your situation may be different because you're shipping them overseas.

My advice to everyone else is only buy what you need to get the next step in your process done. By the time you finish that step you may be able to afford the next, and so on.

Mold materials don't typically store well once opened. The shelf life of most types of rubber is 6-8 months. If you buy something you need at the end of the process, then get stuck on some step, your time is limited.

Sean Bradley said:
What I'm saying is that most people don't seem to understand that they don't have to buy all of it at once. They start little "shopping lists" to see if they can "afford" making armor. What they don't get is that you don't need all the materials at once, so why buy them all at once? Your situation may be different because you're shipping them overseas.

My advice to everyone else is only buy what you need to get the next step in your process done. By the time you finish that step you may be able to afford the next, and so on.

Mold materials don't typically store well once opened. The shelf life of most types of rubber is 6-8 months. If you buy something you need at the end of the process, then get stuck on some step, your time is limited.

Thanks for clearing that up for me... I dont have financial problems, but i will try to find a retailer closer to me so i could try to get everything purchased seperately...

Thanks!

-Finnish

Is there anything other than the Rebound 25 that I could use? I was thinking maybe plaster wrap or something. It's just too expensive for the Paint-on Silicone.

AshdownMenace said:
Is there anything other than the Rebound 25 that I could use? I was thinking maybe plaster wrap or something. It's just too expensive for the Paint-on Silicone.

Smoothon doesnt have cheaper rubbers for the purposes that we use, you might want to find someone else if you need it cheaper.
Personally i thing 158USD ia a fair price for silicone rubber.

-Finnish

Finnish_Spartan said:
Smoothon doesnt have cheaper rubbers for the purposes that we use, you might want to find someone else if you need it cheaper.
Personally i thing 158USD ia a fair price for silicone rubber.

-Finnish

That's kind of what I'm asking. Smooth-on products are too expensive for me, due to the fact that I'm not old enough to have a job. I was just wondering if there are any alternatives to silicone rubber.

Finnish_Spartan said:
Do you mean that i should get the stuff in less of a quantity? like Instead of 1 gallon i should get 0.5gallons?!
I will need all these materials to make one helmet right?

since i'm not going to open all these containers at the same i am just going to buy them at the same time... I dont want to lose money in shipping by shipping each of these products individually...

-Finnish

(PS. Please anwer if it was the quantity or the products you where talking about...)

I agree with ALL that Sean said he couldn't have said it better. The longer you let those chemicals set you can start to see I difference in them: color, reaction, thickness.

AshdownMenace said:
That's kind of what I'm asking. Smooth-on products are too expensive for me, due to the fact that I'm not old enough to have a job. I was just wondering if there are any alternatives to silicone rubber.

maybe vacuum plastics are for you, vacuum is easier to setup and reuse. plus your material cost won't stop your heart!

AshdownMenace said:
Name brand silicones like Smooth-On, Tapp Plastics and PolyTek tend to be more expensive. There are a couple of less expensive alternatives like John Greer & Associates and Hobby Silicone and their prices are a third less than those more famous brands. Mind you, they're still expensive for someone like you but definitely worth looking into for someone who can afford them but may find brand name prices too steep.

And i want to buy all at once to save in shipping costs, US to Europe...
o_O Are you seriously going to ship silicone from US to Finland?? I don't know Finland's customs laws, but you might find that some of the chemicals are controlled substances. You should try calling bluestar silicones, they have an office in Helsinki. If they cant help, ring your local art school.

NZ-TK said:
o_O Are you seriously going to ship silicone from US to Finland?? I don't know Finland's customs laws, but you might find that some of the chemicals are controlled substances. You should try calling bluestar silicones, they have an office in Helsinki. If they cant help, ring your local art school.

And Finland owns a company called "Kemira" it is the largest producer of all kind of chemicals in the world... they even sell materials for smoothon to make theyre rubber... so basically if i ship the smoothon products here to finland, they are just coming back to theyre original country :)
also Finland buys oil from Norway and enriches (Petrol for cars etc.) it and sells it over the world... even to the US. (this company is one of the highest quality enrichiment companies all over the world.)

And now that i got going about Finlands achievements i am just going to say 6 words:
-The leading mobile phone company, NOKIA

and, Dont worry... my mother works for the goverment... I'ts fine trust me.

-Fin(n)ish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back