Just thought of a really awesome Idea for Gungnir Helmet!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trando434

It looks like there are smallish indents on the left of the picture. You could cut those out and put some black stuff from a screen door on it...

To me it would seem ideal to use any iphone turned on to camera attached by velcro to the inside of the front visor. The face plate would probably have to come off to allow you access to the power on button/camera select, but the lens looks like it will sit right where the GUNGNIR camera 'eye' is and the . Problem is you'll need at least 4 spare batteries and a spare phone to recieve calls as walking aorund a convention with the visor up would probably defeat the purpose of this build.

p.s. what does GUNGNIR mean?

Gungnir was the name of Odin's Spear I believe. It was said to have been the most accurate thing in the world. Alot of Halo names comes from Norse mythology, and they use the Hungarian language quite a bit as well.

As Sumo said, it was the name of Odin's ever-accurate spear. The name applies to the armor, first, in that it's Norse, and second, in that the armor appears to be a form of sniper or scout armor.

(In case you didn't know, it's pronounced Goon-year, roughly. I mean, it's hard to write it with the right sound.)

I think that the problem with putting something like a IPhone in the helmet or any camera for that matter would be that...

A. The helmet is dark and the screen would cause irritation (like sitting inches away from a tv screen, while on weed, watching avatar in 3D)
B. You would need two phones which can get pricey due to having to pay for both each month
C. It would be hard to concentrate on and could damage your eyes, like when you put on your pep helmet (paper visor is still in) and you try to focus on the middle and you go kinda cross-eyed, no picture having to do that for the entire day at a convention!

That is my rant...

I think that the problem with putting something like a IPhone in the helmet or any camera for that matter would be that...

A. The helmet is dark and the screen would cause irritation (like sitting inches away from a tv screen, while on weed, watching avatar in 3D)
B. You would need two phones which can get pricey due to having to pay for both each month
C. It would be hard to concentrate on and could damage your eyes, like when you put on your pep helmet (paper visor is still in) and you try to focus on the middle and you go kinda cross-eyed, no picture having to do that for the entire day at a convention!

That is my rant...

Well those things will ruin your day (life?). The only other method I could think of is using one of those mesh screens printed with the image of the helmet face on a clear plastic visor? Sorta like those adverts they glue on buses and such?

Also I shoulda known about the Gungnir...seeing as how Mjonir is featured so prominently in Halo and also as how I have access to GOOGLE!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/ceca/

Might have solved a power problem. This thing is amazing, get two, put one in the form of a side attatchment, use one to power the screen, and camera, use the other to power the suit. One more idea, if the faceplate is far away enough from the rest of the helmet and small enough, hence why i suggested the small flip camcorder, it should be focused enough to provide you with enough vision. Ill continue to test the screen range from face idea.

As far as screwing your eyes, setting the brightness level down, and having it the distance from the face the end of the GUGNIR visor is, should prevent too much eyestrain. If need be, front-light it with some LEDs facing the screen from your face's position.

I see no need for 2 phones, or even 1. Just disassemble a cheap, Chinese camera like you'd find on dealextreme. Put the display inside, with the sensor facing out. Bonus points if you keep zoom working.

Honestly, if you can play Halo for more than 4 hours in one go, this shouldn't screw your eyes too bad.

i allready have a GUNGNIR underway. that camera is definitly a good posibility of somthing to use. i thought about getting a flip camera then hooking it up to an ipod touch inside of the helmet. by the way GUNGNIR is indeed odin's spear which i found out the spartan laser was developed by project GUNGNIR and in norse mythology odin also had one eye like the GUNGNIR helmet. as well as MJOLNIR armor is also named after a norse weapon which is thor's hammer.

If anyone is planning on putting a camera into a helmet, you need to find the right camera for the job.
Most camera viewscreens are meant to be viewed at I'd guess 1.5 to 3 ft or arms length, not right in your face. Having the screen inches away from your eyes won't allow you to focus on it well, if at all.

Try holding your cell phone screen about the same distance from your face as it might be in the GUNGNIR helmet, maybe 3 inches at most. It's extremely difficult to focus, and I was left with a splitting headache after I did it for just seconds.

You'll really need the small digital viewfinder from a camera for this to work. Those are designed for very close view. You could also try to incorporate the mirror setup of a traditional SLR camera, pretty much a periscope effect.

That's actually a pretty good idea. You could even use a fairly old, cheap tape camera, in that kind of setup. Even I have one of those. Only problem is, as always, battery life. If anyone finds a cheap modern camera with a viewfinder, that'd be pretty good.

lol, can't say i'm partial to it either.
Another option.... there are small headmounted displays that you can get for fairly cheap.
I tried to find it, but wasnt able to, but there is a toy RC car that comes with a small camera and a head mounted display

I think that at a distance of about two to three inches of the nose with the brightness turned down, the ipod thing could definitely work. With the helmet, I think the distance would be a tiny bit less than that with that front part sticking out. Maybe the whole "hood" should be a seperate pep file too to make the hinge a lot easier too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back