Kirrou's Odst Build Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks pretty cool. I can't wait to see the finished product. You do good work, from what I've seen so far.

I really wanna see how you plan to manage that Infrared.

Awesome customization. I love it when someone actually makes their own version of the helmet. I'm definitely watching this thread as I want to see how this develops. Lots of interesting development. If you make the PEP available, I'm definitely downloading this.

I'm really curious on the internal development of your helmet. microphone, speakers, IR visor, looks way cool.

i just found this topic and it is awesome , i liked the fact you went completly different (well kind of) with the odst helmet :p, and i like the "k1 odst" name , is there any chance you could throw that file this way?.

that would be so cool.

Ooh, I'm impressed! I love custom permutations, especially when they're awesome. And this one definitely falls into that category. Keep it up, I'm excited to see how this progresses!

UPDATE!!!

First thanks to everyone for the positive feedback and support. I am glad you guys are digging my build its been a blast so far.

Ok so I finally finished the fiber glassing. It started out pretty rough (talk more about it later), but it turned out great and it was quite a learning experience. So I wanted to show everyone how it turned out. (I am really glad nothing warped)

Here you go:

4053650268_30deb983e1_o.jpg

4052909961_8e50f9396f_o.jpg

4052909993_f4cf30ac97_o.jpg

I still need to clean it up a bit but it is really awesome to see my "K1 ODST Variant" come to life. It feels pretty sold now, like how an actual helmet should. Its so AWESOME! Lol

Note: I used crackhead's fiberglassing technique. Here is a link

Any who I ran into some snags along the way and so I'll share with you all what I picked up while glassing. Hope this helps anyone looking into fiberglassing.

First:

When you cut your cloth make sure you cut the strips in fairly long and wide pieces.

Basically you want the pieces to be about 2 to 3 inches wide and about 5in long for short pieces and about 10in long for your larger pieces.

The reason is because if you try to use a bunch of short pieces they frail really easily. So when you place one down and try to add another one and smooth it out, they tend to stick to each other and warp. Nothing ends up smooth and you get a bunch of bubbles and a mess of random fibers. Thankfully when I saw this happening to me, I pulled the cloth out. I didn't let it dry that way so nothing was ruined.

With larger pieces you can cover a large area, smooth it out and overlap another piece fairly easily. I laid the strips parallel to each other which helped when smoothing cause it was all in one direction. Also slightly overlapping the strips gives you a stronger structure a keeps the sides of the previous strip you place from flaring up.

I ended up using a total 3 modest batches of resin total. Also I let each section dry before I added more fiberglass cloth to the helmet. This worked out very well because I could accidentally move or mess up the previous section once it was dry.

4052978735_178545a752_o.jpg

Second:

If you are using the cross pattern fiberglass cloth, cut along a single strand all the way through.

The first time a cut the fiberglass cloth,I did it pretty mindlessly so I ended up with a mess of frails and random fibers. This made the actual glassing mush more of a pain because the little random fiber were sticking to everything. Not good. So I restated with the second half of the cloth and took my time cutting right along a single edge. This minimized frials significantly and in turn made it much easier to glass and smooth everything out.

This is after I has gathered them up a bit. These where sticky and all over the place.

4052910107_45770fd1c3_o.jpg

So those were the couple of things I ran into.

Now I am off the gather materials for detailing. I have the bondo already. Now I just need some sand paper and a couple of tools. I have a couple of days of work(Score!) so I'll be working on this all today and all tomorrow. I'll post update as soon as I can. See you guys.

Like always any advice, questions, critiques, or comments are welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome Man , Puts my Bucket to shame... I so wanna see this in the completed stage. and your WIP is gonna be so helpful for anyone commin into this cold, Shoot It's helpful to me will be using some of these tips on my next build.

Trickster Loki said:
Any more updates my friend??

-Loki

Lol soon. So far I have only found time to prime my helmet and sand it a couple of time but I plan on posting pics of the detail I plan to add soon. I am planing on using the foamie method you used.

Shade said:
Awesome!!! That looks like a true ODST permutation.

Yeah that is what I was going for. And Its funny cause I plan to make it pretty game accurate as far as the details go even though its my own variation of it. I'll have pics soon.

xavierjer said:
Love the Vents idea it looks great. wanna try the helmet in my signature?

It looks really cool. I saw that you made a few different concepts of Halo armor in your photobucket. It would be interesting to make them. Maybe sometime in the future. Lol I really want to finish this first.

Stonefis007 said:
Awesome Man , Puts my Bucket to shame... I so wanna see this in the completed stage. and your WIP is gonna be so helpful for anyone commin into this cold, Shoot It's helpful to me will be using some of these tips on my next build.

Nah man your bucket looks great. You put a lot of work in it and successfully recovered from a potentially big miss hap. I posted advice in hope that others don't have to run into the same snags that I did. Lol really do hope they help.

As for my build, its coming along. I only got a chance to prime and sand this week. It took a lot longer than I expected. But I worked out a lot of the little defects that popped up. I am pretty happy with how smooth I got it so far even before working with the Bondo. And I plan to post pics as soon as I get some good head way with the details and foamies.

Meleck said:
What is that method exactly? You got me interested in a new technique.

Its a method that he saw me use. I found it on the site someplace...ill dig up a link later im on my iphone currently. But basically you take foamie..like foam board...and apply it to your model. Then you bondo over it..and then sand to the foam and peel it out. It leaves a nice edge...oh waitz..here! Linky of foamie awesome

-Loki

That's great. It's weird because I did search for foamie before posting a reply and I couldn't find anything. I remember that technique from the Pepakura ODST thread where detailing was done on a helmet. I just wasn't sure it was this technique that was talked about in this thread.

I find that it's a problem when the replies to a thread leaves a lot of things to be understood. Particularly in the noob forum. For those who do reply, please keep in mind that you are often talking to more than one person even when the reply is directly under a quote.

First thanks to all the props and comments, you guys keep me going.

LVHalo said:
got any updates
blink.gif
rolleyes.gif

Second sorry for taking so long. Bondo is completely new to me so it took me a little while before I got the hang of it. Anyway, I am far from done but here is a quick over view update:

Rough first coat of primer(there were a lot of little things I needed to clean up) Then sanded and cleaned prep before bondo.

4093110894_83677d05c1_o.jpg
4092346929_b21060700b_o.jpg

Rough sketch of the details I want to add.(This is my concept for the back detail. Its a slight variation with extra info in case you loose an arm and they need your blood type)

4093111224_9b5fda65b9_o.jpg
4093111044_a7874ebf5e_o.jpg

First bondo attempt( Lol I had no idea how this was going to go)

4092347153_7fef0934c6_o.jpg

Then after a lot trial and error and a lot of sanding, I stated to get the hang of it.(picked up an electric palm sander $12 at Harbor Freight Tools. Super cheap tools but buy the $4 warranty just in case. This thing makes sanding a breeze)

4093111320_041a368d4f_o.jpg
4092431205_b0095cfd36_o.jpg

Meleck said:
What is that method exactly? You got me interested in a new technique.

Oh and the foamie method is when you use foamies of something similar(in this case I used double side sticky tape) to create a raised border which you then fill with bondo to give you a raised plain.A lot of the guys making MC armor use this method to create their details. Check out the Pepakura forum. I know Dan's Mark VI thread used it which really got me into it.

Here I used the Double Side tape to make the raised cheek detail. (Hope that helped)

4093111280_0709f6c665_o.jpg

Anywho I am going back to Bondo. I found a bunch of things that I need to fix. My pep warped more that I thought and there are some inconsistencies with my pep and the actual Halo 3:ODST game models. Even though I am making my "K1 ODST" Permutation it is still based on the original game model. So I want to be as game accurate as possible.(Not bashing rundowns model at all, I think it is amazing. But I know it was made before the game was launched so there are bound to be some inconsistencies.)

So basically the new plan is to use the pep as an armature and building volume with Bondo then carving and sand out all the details. With the use of foamies and the like, it is coming out pretty good so far. I am a bit further than these pics. More update to come.

And like always any advice, critiques, questions, or comments are always welcomed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back