Kirrou's Odst Build Wip

Kirrou

Member
So first, No this isn't in the game. It is my creation although it is highly influenced by one of Bungie's early ODST concept art.



I decided to make a new ODST helmet permutation because the dutch helmet seemed to be the only real variant. Plus I see that a lot of members are making it. So I wanted to make a little something different. I sketched out some ideas modeled them in 3d Max and unfolded them in Pepakura.



Oh and a little background I am an artist, and graphic design student. I am very comfortable modeling in 3D and also sculpting and painting with real mediums. Anywho on to the good stuff.



I call it the "K1 ODST" variant, might change the name in the future.



Here are my rough blue prints.



4036304290_cf736590d9_o.jpg




I am going to put alot of tech into this bucket. I plan on doing fans on most if not all the vents( I hear these get really hot), voice amplifier and mics(ear spys) so i can hear the outside.



Oh and yes I am going to put lights up top and possibly Infrared Lights too( in order to see in the dark). Saw some very do-able "how to" youtube videos for IR that I can mod to work with this helmet.



4036304270_482ed27d18_o.jpg






I used the Rookie helmet as a base.

It seemed to be the "Original" ODST helmet, and I had just about finished pepping the Rookie helmet made by Rundown when I decided to make this permutation. So I made my variant easy to add the original Rookie pep.



4035553943_a1282fa9dd_o.jpg




Quick note for those starting to pep. I originally used rubber cement to glue this but after a couple of days this stuff starts to loose its stickyness. I ended up buying a cheap low heat glue gun ($3 at Michaels arts&crafts) and re-gluing a lot of the pieces again. (down side to hot glue is that it can be messy and there is very little set time so both pieces have to be exactly in the right spot or your SOL although, I did find that if you run the tip of the hot glue gun back and forth over the spot where you messed up, the glue will re-melt, so you can readjust, careful with this you could hurt yourself badly)



4035553927_ac6b353d2d_o.jpg


4036304306_7db8b60184_o.jpg




I am going to be adding resin and fiberglass tomorrow. And adding a massive amount of detail to this with bondo soon there after. The back of the bucket is modified a bit too but I'll show you guys that when I get there. Any questions, critics, comments, or advice are welcomed.





Edit: Removed pep files from here and now have a ODST PEP file thread. Its in my sign if you need it.
 

JediStumpy

Well-Known Member
Looks great. Like you idea. Did you remodel it in Pep or a 3D model and convert back to pep?

I am interest in how you did this just so I might be able to make my own pep creations as well.

Thanks and will be watching this!
 

Keegan

Well-Known Member
JediStumpy said:
Looks great. Like you idea. Did you remodel it in Pep or a 3D model and convert back to pep?

I am interest in how you did this just so I might be able to make my own pep creations as well.

Thanks and will be watching this!




I was wondering the same thing, because it looks like there is numbers on the extra parts.





I like where you are going with this.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kirrou

Member
JediStumpy said:
Looks great. Like you idea. Did you remodel it in Pep or a 3D model and convert back to pep?

I am interest in how you did this just so I might be able to make my own pep creations as well.

Thanks and will be watching this!


Lol thanks, I remodeled the 3d Model in 3D Studio Max and the put it back into pepakura.



Oh and Queen thanks I really wanted a flood light kind of thing. Lol



Edit: I originally tried to make the mods from scratch but it wasn't as accurate and clean as I wanted it to be. So it went the 3D route.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kirrou

Member
5N0WM4N said:
Wow, I'm loving the armor permutation, any chance we could get the pep file for that?


Lol thanks alot, honestly I would have to talk to Ral Partha first before releasing this permutation in pep form cause its a modification of his original model. But we shall see. I plan on modeling other parts and creating new permutations in the future so keep your eyes out.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

DjLoki13

Member
I'm liking it!! It looks awesome so far! Cant wait to see some WIP pics of the detailing part! You'll have to let us know more about the IR stuff. There is another thread floating around here that the guy is looking to do a if goggle/flip down visor type thing. Would yours be similar to that? Or I dunno! Let us know! I would be interested in doing this for my bucket!! Keep on trucking! Next up..the rest of the suit :p



-Loki
 
Last edited by a moderator:

mkshane81

Well-Known Member
Kirrou said:
Lol thanks alot, honestly I would have to talk to Ral Partha first before releasing this permutation in pep form cause its a modification of his original model. But we shall see. I plan on modeling other parts and creating new permutations in the future so keep your eyes out.




Looks great first of all. It's nice seeing a concept project come to life. Certainly adds a new twist to the ODST.
But I think you would need to talk to rundown, rather Ral. It was rundown's model, unfolded by Ral Partha.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Kirrou

Member
Trickster Loki said:
I'm liking it!! It looks awesome so far! Cant wait to see some WIP pics of the detailing part! You'll have to let us know more about the IR stuff. There is another thread floating around here that the guy is looking to do a if goggle/flip down visor type thing. Would yours be similar to that? Or I dunno! Let us know! I would be interested in doing this for my bucket!! Keep on trucking! Next up..the rest of the suit :p



-Loki


The IR would be built into the helmet. I wouldn't be using goggles or anything. I would have a mechanism to alter the visor for that mode ex. a button that flips the IR light on as well as the IR Fillter. But nothing is set in stone yet. I'll defenitly keep you guys posted about that when I get there.





mks81 said:
Looks great first of all. It's nice seeing a concept project come to life. Certainly adds a new twist to the ODST.
But I think you would need to talk to rundown, rather Ral. It was rundown's model, unfolded by Ral Partha.


Thanks for that your right. I got it all mixed up lol. I edited that part on my original post. Rundown it the original modeler.





Shaymin Sky, Bobo The PandaX thanks a lot guys. Glad other people are diggin it as much I as am.





I am about to resin it so I'll post an update as soon I can. I haven't done this before lol. Wish me luck.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Loves hina

Jr Member
Ive gotta say, im really diggin this mod. maybe bungiell add it to the game as a recon type deal ;) . Ive already got my helmet 90% finished which now makes me sad, but i have a few friends who will be makin some so ill be sure to suggest this. great work and heres to a hopefull release.
 

Kirrou

Member
UPDATE! So I finally got a chance to resin my ODST helmet Permutation yesterday. I had never worked with resin before so it was quite a learning experience. Here are some pics.



4041398827_2f10b30cd6_o.jpg


4042217724_6943d205c4_o.jpg


4041471521_8358025a82_o.jpg




Here are also a few thing that I learned and ran into while resining.



BE SAFE!



Everything I used:



Respirator Mask (VERY IMPORTANT! These chemicals are very strong and dangerous for your health.I got mine at Ace Hardware for like $25)

Gloves (Nylon or Latex work great)

Fiberglass Resin

Hardener (Usually comes with your Resin double check you have it)

Container (To mix the resin in. The resin lid will usually do the trick )

Mixing Tool (In my case a plastic spoon but pretty much anything will work)

Cheap Brushes (Can be fiber or foam either work its just your preference)

Masking Tape (Optional)

Paint Thinner (Optional used to save your brushes but it didn't really work for me. More on that later.)



4042145504_4e869fa70d_o.jpg




First thing I learned:

DONT MAKE TO MUCH RESIN IN ONE BATCH



For my first batch I made too much so it began to gel and harden before I was half way through it. If you measure it just right you will get done using most if not all the resin right as it begins to gel and harden.

Otherwise,this is what you get. WASTE.



4042145542_3abbf180aa_o.jpg




Second thing I learn from people here at 405th:

USE THIN COATS OF RESIN SO NOTHING WARPS.



Luckily nothing warped so I didn't experience the warping issue first hand. I ended up making three thin layer batches of resin total.



4041398787_dd0fbaa032_o.jpg




Something I picked up:

MASKING TAPE IS AMAZING! (shape before you resin)

I used masking tape to get the correct angle that I wanted on the front of the helmet. I wanted the lip over the visor to be straight not at an angle. This is just my preference and isn't really necessary unless you want a straight edge on that lip.



I have seen other people use straws or cardboard to shape the pep before they resin. So doing any slight adjustments now would be much easier than after you resin or bondo. Plus the resin makes your adjustments permanent.

Here is what I mean about the visor lip angle.



4041398807_bd07a13dd0_o.jpg




I learned a lot while doing this. I hope the my experience might help those resining soon.



Also I will be fiberglassing tomorrow and bondoing soon there after so keep a look out for it. I am planing an insane amount of detail for this build.



As always any advice, comments, questions, or critiques are welcome.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

bigolaf

Jr Member
i am doing something similar with my second helmet, in that i'm making a seperate permutation. i love it so far! its awesome!



adding extra vents; is it to increase functionality in atmospheric missions, or is it just a cosmetic thing? i love it either way.

i'll post pics of my permutation so far; it is made to increase the ability to resist impact in a high speed collision or close-quarters fight, with a high-gain commpack on the side.



give me a little bit..



but i absolutely can't wait to see where this build goes!
 

HaloGoddess

Well-Known Member
I really like the small additions. They really give it a nice and unique touch. I'm not too crazy about extra vents on the side, but that flood light thing on the top is a cool idea.



I am really interested in seeing this completed WITH the lights in place. :p
 

mikki429

New Member
I like the floodlights, too. You did an expert job of integrating the box so they don't look "slapped on."



Are you going to go the "standard" fiberglass route for the inside, or will you try mudglassing or plastic casting?
 

Kirrou

Member
YuutaKenshi said:
Ive gotta say, im really diggin this mod. maybe bungiell add it to the game as a recon type deal ;) . Ive already got my helmet 90% finished which now makes me sad, but i have a few friends who will be makin some so ill be sure to suggest this. great work and heres to a hopefull release.


Thanks,Yeah I am not sure how likely that would be but it would be totally kickass. Lol



BigOlaf-aka-TheSarge said:
i am doing something similar with my second helmet, in that i'm making a seperate permutation. i love it so far! its awesome!



adding extra vents; is it to increase functionality in atmospheric missions, or is it just a cosmetic thing? i love it either way.

i'll post pics of my permutation so far; it is made to increase the ability to resist impact in a high speed collision or close-quarters fight, with a high-gain commpack on the side.



give me a little bit..



but i absolutely can't wait to see where this build goes!


Lol thanks I am pretty excited about my first build. Oh and the vents are going to be functional. I plan on cutting them out and then installing a fan behind each. I actually made the vent extension just so I could fit a fan there comfortably.



Oh and yeah can't wait to see what you make. Good luck.



HaloGoddess said:
I really like the small additions. They really give it a nice and unique touch. I'm not too crazy about extra vents on the side, but that flood light thing on the top is a cool idea.



I am really interested in seeing this completed WITH the lights in place. :p


Lol Yeah I am not trying to rebuild or remake the ODST Helmet cause I think its badass. I just wanted some nice variation to mine. Plus I am adding some functionality to it. I am excited about the flood lights and the possibly of IR up top too. As for the vents they were both an aesthetic and functional choice. I want to make this bad boy nice and cool.



Mikal Nphrno said:
I like the floodlights, too. You did an expert job of integrating the box so they don't look "slapped on."



Are you going to go the "standard" fiberglass route for the inside, or will you try mudglassing or plastic casting?


I am actually just going to fiberglass cause I had already bought the supplies before I even heard of plastic casting. Lol I'll try that on my next build.



As for the non-slapped on look, that was due to the fact that I actually modified the original 3d file then unwrapped it in Pepakura. So I have a full Pep file for this and I might release it sometime in the future. I just need to talk to Rundown first though.



Didn't get a chance to fiberglass today. Bummer. But will probably do it tomorrow.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

stick83

Member
looking great im in love with the flood light. i resind my helmet last night one layer. im doing 3 and i finished at 6:30 and it still isnt done :pmore thaan 24 hours. it proboly doesnt hep that its like 55 degrees and it was in the shed all night long. dropping temperature dsown to like 45 and i accedentaly doubled the hardner dont know if that helped or made it worssse. but looking forward to seeing it done.
 
Top