Is a Halo 2 ODST armor suit combined with a Halo 3 ODST helmet acceptable for use in a fan film?

• Yes

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, with some in-film explanation

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparf23

Greetings, fair denizen!

I'm new here, but eager to create a short film about ODSTs, probably set in the late 2530s. I have a certain affection for that which is practical, and I must say, as imposing as the Halo 3: ODST (H3O) ODSTs are, their equipment leaves me wondering where they store 4 SMG magazines/11 MA5 magazines/30 shotgun shells/6 AMR magazines, 3 to 12 grenades, a pistol, and 5 pistol magazines. Yes, some goes on their back, some grenades on their hips. But I keep coming to the same conclusion:

H3O ODSTs don't have enough pouches. BUT they have SAweeeeet helmets, which I would very much like to use in the aforementioned film.

My solution, as hinted at by the title of this thread, is to 'kitbash' the H3O ODST helmet with the Halo 2 (H2) ODST armor, because the H2 armor has waaaaaay more pouches. From my limited experience bumbling around the world, pouches are pretty handy, and heavy pouchless chest plates are less handy.

The long and short of this is:

Does the idea of a H2 ODST with a H3O ODST helmet turn, you, the reader and prospective audience, off? Would I be doing something egregious, unacceptable, and horrifying even though it's not part of actual canon?

You have my thanks,

Sparf

We have a saying here: Build your character. It's even in the logo!

Many people here kitbash their costumes to include what they like and get the best of all worlds. No one here will judge you harshly for it. Heck, we even have some weebs making Vocaloid themed costumes!

I think your biggest consideration would be your target audience for your fan film. You may want to explain to them how and why the character has armour/weapons that aren't part of their ordinary loadout.

We have a saying here: Build your character. It's even in the logo!

Many people here kitbash their costumes to include what they like and get the best of all worlds. No one here will judge you harshly for it. Heck, we even have some weebs making Vocaloid themed costumes!

I think your biggest consideration would be your target audience for your fan film. You may want to explain to them how and why the character has armour/weapons that aren't part of their ordinary loadout.
You make a good point!

I don't yet know how I'd incorporate that explanation into the film. I saw a thread somewhere saying that both the H3 and the H2 ODST armor variants were canonical, just that they'd be used by different units, different circumstances, whatever it may be. The UNSC is vast and full of variety. I'm new to cosplay/fan films, and would like to justify kitbashing.

What I'm trying to say, PlanetAlexander, is thank you!

Ah, that's the fun part - creating a backstory. I don't know if you have a story for the film or not, but you might be able to say something like "They were field testing the new (Halo 3) ODST helmet while the Halo 3 ODST armour was still in early R&D, so they still wore the H2 armour", or maybe "During battle their Halo 3 ODST armour was rendered obsolete due to damage and had to use the next best available - H2 armour". Just some rough ideas to throw in there.

Ah, that's the fun part - creating a backstory. I don't know if you have a story for the film or not, but you might be able to say something like "They were field testing the new (Halo 3) ODST helmet while the Halo 3 ODST armour was still in early R&D, so they still wore the H2 armour", or maybe "During battle their Halo 3 ODST armour was rendered obsolete due to damage and had to use the next best available - H2 armour". Just some rough ideas to throw in there.
I like where you're going with that. I was thinking that their particular battalion just didn't use the heavy armor. It might not even be mentioned, I'm not sure yet. Still, I appreciate your input!

Greetings, fair denizen!

I'm new here, but eager to create a short film about ODSTs, probably set in the late 2530s. I have a certain affection for that which is practical, and I must say, as imposing as the Halo 3: ODST (H3O) ODSTs are, their equipment leaves me wondering where they store 4 SMG magazines/11 MA5 magazines/30 shotgun shells/6 AMR magazines, 3 to 12 grenades, a pistol, and 5 pistol magazines. Yes, some goes on their back, some grenades on their hips. But I keep coming to the same conclusion:

H3O ODSTs don't have enough pouches. BUT they have SAweeeeet helmets, which I would very much like to use in the aforementioned film.

My solution, as hinted at by the title of this thread, is to 'kitbash' the H3O ODST helmet with the Halo 2 (H2) ODST armor, because the H2 armor has waaaaaay more pouches. From my limited experience bumbling around the world, pouches are pretty handy, and heavy pouchless chest plates are less handy.

The long and short of this is:

Does the idea of a H2 ODST with a H3O ODST helmet turn, you, the reader and prospective audience, off? Would I be doing something egregious, unacceptable, and horrifying even though it's not part of actual canon?

You have my thanks,

Sparf
I think that during War, soldiers take what they can get. Personalized armor with some back story makes it more interesting in my opinion. Take for example: My Helmet is Hayabusa. I got the helmet from the depths of hell and as a reward for bringing order to the madness that is hell God granted me eternal flames for everyone to know that it was me who brought order.
Back stories give the reader or viewer more information which makes it more interesting. Please keep us posted on the film. Would love to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back