Knife making continues.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Talk' started by Sandbagger, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Sandbagger

Sandbagger Well-Known Member

Back into it 2017!

80DElEu.jpg

2. PerniciousDuke

PerniciousDuke

Great work SB! You are really pushing them out and there should be more blades by Baz out there!

I've been meaning to do an off topic thread about other crafts people make. I'm glad you finally posted about yours.

3. MasterSensei

MasterSensei

Mate, if your making that many knives, I would consider selling them. Could make a nice bit of dough.

4. Sandbagger

I sold a few before Christmas. Funded some mor gear for the Iron Man suit and paid for a trip down the coast.

5. Sandbagger

Thanks mate. My pleasure.

Baz.

6. Sandbagger

13 cut out, profiled, tangs tapered length and width. Started grinding one and stamped before daddy duty calls. A productive afternoon.

x5UgCoH.jpg

7. Sandbagger

First knife for 2017 complete. High carbon blade, brass and G10 fittings, brass-fill highlights in the natural wood faults. Tea-tree burl handle.

tp2yxwo.jpg

tJVZkRy.jpg

8. mkshane81

mkshane81

Beautiful pieces or work! The detail work on the handle is stunning! :)

-Matt

9. Sandbagger

Thanks Matt.

10. StayFrosty

StayFrosty

Those are some really nice looking knives! Do you plan on ever doing halo combat knives in metal?

11. Sandbagger

Improvise adapt and overcome.

While sharpening the two blades at our monthly knife meet last night... oh noes! - CRACK!!! Right in the middle of the edge. There must have been a stress in the blade that was just waiting for enough steel to be removed to give in. After good advice from Karim of Tharwa Valley Forge, I ground the blade down a good quarter inch from the edge until the crack was gone. Re-ground bevels both sides and re-polished. A few of the knife makers said they actually liked the revised shape.

tJVZkRy.jpg

iskbEQ6.jpg

This magnificent little piece of burl had some cracks and rot, but after scraping out every little bit with a sharp point, I was left with exquisite contrasts of brown and black with gold accents. The fault across the middle snapped while drilling it out so I got arty with resin and brass fill. Saved it.

xV4BMe1.jpg

ZREFsvp.jpg

51tFWaD.jpg

Yeexsters likes this.
  12. Sandbagger

Thanks mate. Not on the radar, no.

13. Sandbagger

Latest.

Y9UmwM2.jpg

H1oNQfr.jpg

hzGBNUR.jpg

mkshane81 likes this.
  14. mkshane81

mkshane81

Beautiful!!

-Matt

15. Sandbagger

^^^ Thanks Matt.

Just finished three more.

KzQNMdI.jpg

1o2E6LJ.jpg

dXbPx0X.jpg

AmQow80.jpg

jK1QiFB.jpg

mblackwell1002 likes this.
  16. Sandbagger

Spent my weekend on these two.

Hunter - five and a half inch blade. Black butt handle. Brass highlights.

General Purpose knife - (GP) /personal carry knife. Hammered finish spine and ricasso. Ancient eucalypt/box handle. 3,1/4 inch blade.

3Mfm6Js.jpg

D7BQDc6.jpg

17. Dirtdives

Dirtdives

I think it is time for you to try out for "Forged in Fire". It's on the History Chanel. W/ your work, you could be a contender.......10k in cash would help the Ironman suit...don't you think?

SI3RRA 117 likes this.
  18. SI3RRA 117

SI3RRA 117

Should be on tonight.(y) My wife hates Tuesday's because if it

19. Sandbagger

:p

Except the suit is finished.

Moving on with the next project.....

20. Sandbagger

And another finished today. No idea what the wood is....but it's pretty.

DvHKMxP.jpg

21. Sandbagger

A few pouches. Leather work is not something I really like, but I can't send razor sharp knives to people without something to protect them.

wO5aSDS.jpg

Changing/evolving my style a bit more. Going for five and a half inch hunters now. Liking this.

NcqUOVM.jpg

Four hunters.

4RhQpsA.jpg

MxNUyov.jpg

Found a couple of chunks of very old wood in a creek bed. This is how it turns out semi polished. The chunk on the ground is a diamond in the rough.

fNrUJy2.jpg

Bottom of a dead Banksia. Problem is, I don't know how long it's been dead for. Sanded and oiled a block to leave in the shed a few weeks and see if it warps or splits. Very pretty grain pattern. Might be good to stabilise.

Bpth2bW.jpg

mkshane81, Yeexsters and SI3RRA 117 like this.
  22. mkshane81

mkshane81

Amazing!

23. Sandbagger

More blades to help with the next big project. I've already started it, but I'll reveal a bit later when I've got something to show. In the meantime, these little babies have been helping me to get materials.

The latest four I spent my entire weekend making. The short one is one of the last short ones I'll be making.

1075 carbon steel blade. Brass guard. Brass and G10 spacers. Brass highlights in natural features. Eucalyptus handle. 5,1/2 inch blade.

crVirOB.jpg

1075 carbon steel blade. Brass guard. Brass and G10 spacers. Brass highlights in natural features. Ancient blackbut stump handle. 5,1/2 inch blade.

1L7GkYo.jpg

1075 carbon steel blade. Brass guard. Brass and G10 spacers. Brass highlights in natural features. Very old creek driftwood handle. 5,1/2 inch blade.

jJCKUQk.jpg

1075 carbon steel blade. Brass guard. Brass and G10 spacers. Ancient Eucalyptus handle. 3,1/4 inch blade.

q41IDGH.jpg