Knife making continues.

BuildsByBaz

Sr Member
Sorry guys, although my health is slowly and finally improving, I am still waiting on electronics for the Iron Man Suit project, not only parts from overseas, but my electronics guy has been pretty busy with real work so i'm kind of stalled for a while.

Until then, I've been keeping busy with other projects. A couple I can't reveal just yet, but I've been going hammer and tongs on the knives.

1-3. A couple of new filework designs.

xijChGM.jpg

URq8Jyp.jpg

NdG5Bxx.jpg

4&5. A lovely piece of Eucalyptus burl for handle scales.

yTRTBOr.jpg

7VTh9Xf.jpg

6&7. Believe it or not, most of these came from the same tree.

0s5D8qn.jpg

1dE2XgL.jpg

8-11 . Re-shaping one of my early knives made from a lawnmower blade. Having my first true go at a full tang handle with all the new skills and experience I've picked up along the way. Tested out to Rockewll 54 after heat treatment. I'm very happy with this experiment and next step up in the game.

J6q34PL.jpg

V8uBHhI.jpg

MZw4jdq.jpg

pkjzKhe.jpg

12-14 After some valuable critique from Karim at Tharwa Valley Forge, I have drawn up a new knife, (subject to a bit of trimming here and there), and started production on a new batch, using an aluminium template I've knocked up.

7MYAGDM.jpg

69fdShp.jpg

U26r7qj.jpg

Attachments

• xijChGM.jpg
    xijChGM.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 345
  • J6q34PL.jpg
    J6q34PL.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 387
  • 1dE2XgL.jpg
    1dE2XgL.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 381
  • 0s5D8qn.jpg
    0s5D8qn.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 386
  • 7VTh9Xf.jpg
    7VTh9Xf.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 362
  • URq8Jyp.jpg
    URq8Jyp.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 435
  • NdG5Bxx.jpg
    NdG5Bxx.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 364
  • yTRTBOr.jpg
    yTRTBOr.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 402
  • 69fdShp.jpg
    69fdShp.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 347
  • 7MYAGDM.jpg
    7MYAGDM.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 380
  • pkjzKhe.jpg
    pkjzKhe.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 458
  • MZw4jdq.jpg
    MZw4jdq.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 340
  • V8uBHhI.jpg
    V8uBHhI.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 431
  • U26r7qj.jpg
    U26r7qj.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 403
Hot damn, that looks amazing! :eek: I've always had huge respect for bladesmiths, because of the INCREDIBLY tedious process of grinding, sharpening, cutting out, yada yada. Ever planned on making a halo-related knife? :)

I find the hardest part of knifemaking, beyond the design portion if you're making a unique design, is fitting the handle. I've only made a few, but the part that took the longest to finish was the handle. Luckily, I'm a huge fan of the "improvised" look, so I didn't "finish" them, but rather let the handle get finished by use.

Hot damn, that looks amazing! :eek: I've always had huge respect for bladesmiths, because of the INCREDIBLY tedious process of grinding, sharpening, cutting out, yada yada. Ever planned on making a halo-related knife? :)

Not planning it anytime soon, but who knows where the game will take me as I progress? Thanks man.

SB

- - - Updated - - -

I find the hardest part of knifemaking, beyond the design portion if you're making a unique design, is fitting the handle. I've only made a few, but the part that took the longest to finish was the handle. Luckily, I'm a huge fan of the "improvised" look, so I didn't "finish" them, but rather let the handle get finished by use.

As i make more and more knives, some of my processes speed up as my skill increases, but a lot of things are slowing down. A big one is a little more time and care on finishing surfaces and making accurate lines.

"Character" is one thing, but usually it's my excuse for laziness.

SB.

looks like leaf spring knifes, will you be mking a halo combat knife?

The one with the hole in it is an old lawnmower blade that worked out pretty well. The others are all the correct grade 1075 steel for knife making. Already answered the halo knife question above.

SB

I'm still waiting on the electronics on my Iron Man helmet, so on with the new line of knives. I thought I'd take the first of six to finished product and see what I pick up along the way, then mush on with the rest.

I'm fairly happy with this first one. A few little adjustments and I reckon I'll be ready. I've really got to get my handle wood stabilised. The front piece is stabilised, but the pretty bit on the back end is not. Some faults in the timber that I just couldn't get around. I'll be choosing my wood more carefully next time. Other bits are brass and black G10 spacers.

5EvWD13.jpg

D63ebUQ.jpg

jG98dLC.jpg

Attachments

• jG98dLC.jpg
    jG98dLC.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 396
  • D63ebUQ.jpg
    D63ebUQ.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 395
  • 5EvWD13.jpg
    5EvWD13.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 411
After many design ideas by myself and others, my blade stamp has been decided and fabricated. A good bloke on the net named Andrew came up with this design after seeing a few of my ideas and talking with me about where I was headed with it all.

To press the stamp into my blades before I harden them, I need a press in the order of 20 ton. So, I bought a bottle jack and today I built a press. Took about four hours all up.

The new stamp.

y5Og7PH.jpg

A quick sketch on the bench, subject to change as I build.

ExXKlBU.jpg

Lunch time today cut up all the steel.

7jjwtBN.jpg

Press finished. All I have to do tomorrow is weld some attachment points under the top bar and on the jack plate, to attach a couple of trampoline springs to lift the jack.

MKtgKJv.jpg

SaZNy9K.jpg

Attachments

• y5Og7PH.jpg
    y5Og7PH.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 361
  • SaZNy9K.jpg
    SaZNy9K.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 343
  • MKtgKJv.jpg
    MKtgKJv.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 333
  • 7jjwtBN.jpg
    7jjwtBN.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 396
  • ExXKlBU.jpg
    ExXKlBU.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 398
Just finished this one for my Air Dispatch army comrades.

9Qub0uG.jpg

And here it is with the last two finished.

06hcEoG.jpg

Attachments

• 06hcEoG.jpg
    06hcEoG.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 368
  • 9Qub0uG.jpg
    9Qub0uG.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 344

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back