Knife making continues.

Finished another Kensaki-style Yanagiba. 1075 steel, right hand chisel grind. Stabilised Birdseye Ebony and Amboyne handle. Lovely figured Cypress saya with ebony lock pin.

vQuied8.jpg

FJmSZbU.jpg

PQkpwu2.jpg

Taking on a new project to stretch myself. Japanese Katana.

qa0caxy.jpg

7jC5i0I.jpg

JK4HpbT.jpg

Japanese Katana WIP

I am doing as much of this in traditional style, by hand and avoiding machinery where possible. After the initial round bar was belted flat with a power hammer, I stretched it out the rest of the way with the hammer on the anvil, then completely hand forged the geometries. Lots of hand filing then inventing a tool out of whatever I had available to scrape in the fuller. (NOT A BLOOD GROOVE!!)

In keeping with tradition also, I am using materials from scraps to make the fittings. Scrap copper and steel to make the tsuba, habaki, seppa, etc etc
Instead of buying mekugi pins from china, I sourced the correct bamboo, made my own and hardened them in the oven.

SR77m6g.jpg

P9REmzT.jpg

s5VHXBA.jpg

WRKLdiK.jpg

w5Mhmlm.jpg

iddWiLK.jpg

Q5sjqJZ.jpg

FIDqLoZ.jpg

Great work!

I just got back from Blade Show - Atlanta. I'm always surprised there aren't any nihonto guys there. I'd love to see a spread of traditionally made Japanese blades from an assortment of makers.

Dang dude those gotta be so sharp. This is one huge talented group. Also the cleaver in the grass is my favorite

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back