Larp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow1336

Hey 405th. :D
I've been slow on posting lately, mostly because of school, but also because of another hobby. At school, we've started up a "nerd club". And the single topic that comes up is LARP, or live action role play. As a noob to this subject, I was hoping to see if there are any fellow LARPers here. This is by no means a topic looking for a tutorial on LARP, but just an eager noob looking for someone else interested in this kind of stuff. Thanks in advance. :p

Well let's see I do LARP Battles with a LARP group here in Arkansas, I used to have a Foam Golem suit that I made myself which I took out to the LARP Battlefield once and I had 4 guys run the other direction partially because I had cardboard platforms in the feet so I stood about 7 1/2 feet high. Now I don't have the suit anymore but I do go out every once and a while to do foam sword battles with other people. I'm not the kind to get in a little fight no I'll run directly at you with two swords and you either have two options run (you still fake die) or stand scared when I run with a crazed look in my eye towards you (you still fake die but at least you have guts), you can try to fight back but I have 8years of Swordtraining.

Awesome Nintendude.
I'm a beginner at swordplay, but I've been told I'm fairly good by my friends. (I beat the reigning champion of nerd club about three times)

lol. Lightning Bolt.

I like LARP, but I don't want to try out the kind with the magic spells and stuff. Just all out swordfighting to capture key objectives and such.

By the way, can you go in a full suit of metal armor?

I wish there was something like this in California.

-Pony

LARPing is one of my lesser hobbies i collect medieval arms and armour but i never really use them, although i was thinking of making a dragon age: origins pep file...

Oh and ACDCrockr209 (sweet name by the way) you can go in whatever u want be it just a tunic or a full suit of armor

I'm fully intending on finding where the local Larpers are one day and busting into a match with my sandtrooper. I'll be weilding a modded nerf gun that looks as close to a proper blaster as possible. And possibly a Fedora ontop of the bucket, just for irony points.

Shadow, the sword play always looked fun to me. Especially when the players either have a background in swords/medieval tactics or learn them along the way. The magic missles.. well, if it floats your boat, it floats your boat lol. I won't be one to judge. But you may get chased down by a sandtrooper at some point. XD

Some of you older members may want to look into the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) if you have hankering for some medieval combat without any elves, foam swords, or "magic missiles" (Really? Magic Missiles? :confused). It's just about as close to the real deal as you are going to find. You really haven't lived until you have faced down an army of several thousand people, each hell-bent on knocking you on your butt.

278817335_2530399d72.jpg

100_0668.jpg

postcard2.jpg

016_15A.jpg

Full speed, full contact, real armor, and weapons that will tear you up if you aren't careful (and trained). Strategy, small and large unit tactics, real training - the whole deal. The only way to get more realistic is to move to "live steel" but then you lose many aspects of the "real combat" that makes it so enjoyable... ;)

God, I wish I was old enough. D:

Actually, depending on your Kingdom standards you may be old enough. In many locations, 16 is the minimum age for heavy weapon combat (with waiver). Some Kingdoms also have a "Youth Combat" program which while not quite as rigerous as the full version, will give you a strong grounding in the basics and prepare you for the big leagues. Start here are if you have any specific questions, hit me up in this thread and I'll do my best to help. I haven't been active for a few years but I was very active for quite a while...

http://www.sca.org/

ETA: I just saw that you are in Mass. and that would put you in the East Kingdom (my old stomping grounds).

http://www.eastkingdom.org/

Actually, depending on your Kingdom standards you may be old enough. In many locations, 16 is the minimum age for heavy weapon combat (with waiver). Some Kingdoms also have a "Youth Combat" program which while not quite as rigerous as the full version, will give you a strong grounding in the basics and prepare you for the big leagues. Start here are if you have any specific questions, hit me up in this thread and I'll do my best to help. I haven't been active for a few years but I was very active for quite a while...

http://www.sca.org/

ETA: I just saw that you are in Mass. and that would put you in the East Kingdom (my old stomping grounds).

http://www.eastkingdom.org/

Wow DW that's pretty crazy!

I've never seen anything like that. I'm very interested in this, would GA residents also fall under East Kingdom?

Wow DW that's pretty crazy!

I've never seen anything like that. I'm very interested in this, would GA residents also fall under East Kingdom?

More than likely you would be in Meridies but GA is a split Kingdom. Check here:

http://www.sca.org/geography/kingdom_lookup.php

It's really a lot of fun and is NOT limited to combat (although that was my focus). All aspects are included from costuming, to arts and sciences, heraldry, cooking/brewing, music, history, basically everything. I would STRONGLY encourage anyone interested to at least check your local group out. They are everywhere and are very helpful and welcoming to new members. Try to find a local "fighter practice" if you can - that should give you an idea of the kind of combat involved...

You could always check for a local Amtgard group. After the SCA, second largest LARP in the world. They have groups as far out as Germany and Australia. Somewhere oline, there is an amtgard atlas, though it does not get updated often, it will show you the location of the groups in the u.s.
also check out Amtgardinc.com
and look up esamurai. its a forum for amtgard

Some of you older members may want to look into the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) if you have hankering for some medieval combat without any elves, foam swords, or "magic missiles" (Really? Magic Missiles? :confused). It's just about as close to the real deal as you are going to find. You really haven't lived until you have faced down an army of several thousand people, each hell-bent on knocking you on your butt.

278817335_2530399d72.jpg

100_0668.jpg

postcard2.jpg

016_15A.jpg

Full speed, full contact, real armor, and weapons that will tear you up if you aren't careful (and trained). Strategy, small and large unit tactics, real training - the whole deal. The only way to get more realistic is to move to "live steel" but then you lose many aspects of the "real combat" that makes it so enjoyable... ;)

This is where I want to be fighting in!! Do they have any in California, Dog Wizard?

-Pony

SCA is where I got started with Swordtraining, started out as a Page for a Knight working at a Ren Faire in Arizona and after I turned 16 I wore my first suit of armor and started whooping arse. I wish I had pictures but that was so long ago. To me theres nothing like going into a battle wearing full gear weilding two swords and yelling at the top of your lungs as you run at the enemy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back