Lastspartan's Mk-vi Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like you're doing very well in terms of smoothing. The only think I can recommend is that you make sure that the edges come out straight after you're done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I plan on clearing them up with my Dremel later on.

I did some smoothing since the last pictures, added some Spot Putty, and the right jaw is (almost) over !

EDIT : Tada! ^^

pa080144.jpg

I decided to take new pics with some black paint added on the helmet. it helps for the low spots and such.

And Black = 1337ness.

PA130146.jpg

PA130145_copy.jpg

I still need to clean up the nose piece thingy.

coming along very nicely , dido on the edges make them crisp to give defenition.

I sanded some of the paint, that's why the green looks... bad.

I also poured a big batch of casting resin in the brim of the helmet. Result, dripping everywhere, and that stuff is damn hot when it is mixed in big batches.

I sanded all the plastic that dripped.

Click on the thumbnails for bigger pictures.

LastSpartan said:
I also poured a big batch of casting resin in the brim of the helmet. Result, dripping everywhere, and that stuff is damn hot when it is mixed in big batches.
Sounds like you discovered what an exotherm is. The reaction that cures the resin generates heat. The hotter the resin gets, the quicker it cures, the more heat it generates. It's a positive feedback loop. Always mix resin in shallow containers to allow heat to dissipate. If an exotherm is violent enough the resin can spontaneously combust. I once nearly melted a plastic mixing container. That got my attention. Be safe.

Yeah and the brim wasn't resined enough so the plastic (Smoothcast300) dripped from every tabs. Got some on my forearm and I didn't noticed at first. And then I was like, why is my arm all white!?

It's good stuff, but now, little batches at the time :p

EDIT : Guys, does anyone know what is the best size for visors? Like the largest one? (The MX-12031131 thingy)

Thanks Kelly :)

The creation forum is flooded with new posts each second, so it's hard to get your topic up the list :D

Thanks, much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back