1st Build Leather Armor Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Its Hush

Has anybody tried doing leather Halo armor?

I started doing leather working about two months ago and I want to make armor, so I thought it would be cool to make leather Halo armor. The only thing is Would I stil be able to use the Same templates that would be used for Foam? Expecting the need of a few changes of course.

Relatively new here but I haven't seen anyone try leather as a medium. Sounds pretty cool though. I would be interested to watch your build I'd you try!

I'd imagine you would get away using templates as if you were working with foam or paper craft. If you have a way to cure?/harden the leather it could hold its shape with reinforcement? Would there be any shrinking to worry about? If you test a small part, say an arm or boot, you could see leather would be viable without too much time/ material wasted.

Don't know much about leather working but I think you'll need to take some creative liberties. Like S225 said you could use Pepakura as a base, but I can only imagine it being for the large surface areas. Not sure how you'd tackle details and sides/thickness that can be made with paper or foam. This will be an interesting take to say the least!

I'd imagine you would get away using templates as if you were working with foam or paper craft. If you have a way to cure?/harden the leather it could hold its shape with reinforcement? Would there be any shrinking to worry about? If you test a small part, say an arm or boot, you could see leather would be viable without too much time/ material wasted.
Yeah that’s what I would think since it can’t be a whole lot different.
And yes Hardening would be a good idea, and I’m very new to leather crafting soo I’ll do some more research on hardening and stuff.

Don't know much about leather working but I think you'll need to take some creative liberties. Like S225 said you could use Pepakura as a base, but I can only imagine it being for the large surface areas. Not sure how you'd tackle details and sides/thickness that can be made with paper or foam. This will be an interesting take to say the least!
Yeah I did think about that, on the thickness aspect, I can double layers and also have the base part of the leather and then stencil and cut out detail design in a thin layer and overlay it onto the base and blend it in using a filler (if there is something like that for leather.) or at least smooth it in somehow.
Side note once I get it all figured out I will take videos and hope to maybe make a YouTube video out of it.

Relatively new here but I haven't seen anyone try leather as a medium. Sounds pretty cool though. I would be interested to watch your build I'd you try!
Yeah I looked up Leather Halo armor and couldn’t find anything. So I thought I should try that. I mentioned in another comment that I may try to make a YouTube video If I do i it. I just need to look into it. :)

Use “barge cement” leather glue. It binds fairly fast. I think that will be your biggest challenge….getting the leather pieces to hold shape while the glue sets.

you can use superglue on edges, then sand with 400 grit sandpaper to make it smooth and get rid of the edge grain.

you could try scoring the leather deep and folding along that line for pieces with relatively straight edges to avoid cutting. You might need to back up the joint on the inside to keep it from eventual fatigue failure, though.

Ive seen a lot of wax hardened leather in our medieval groups. Look up “cuir bouilli leather armor”. It gets pretty darn rigid and helps the leather hold shape on complex curved parts like Roman legionnaire breastplates and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back