Legendary Armor – Mark VI Master Chief Helmet Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's crazy! Wow. I wish you luck, but for that money I think I'd buy another Delorean, or maybe a down payment on a house....... ;-)

Really great job! I wanna see more!!

Yeah...I know. CNC work is not cheap. Helmet CNC work alone was in the thousands...imagine what costs of the armor would be...

BishopX said:
Yeah...I know. CNC work is not cheap. Helmet CNC work alone was in the thousands...imagine what costs of the armor would be...
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah....I know but getting the helmet extremely symmetrical is important (to me anyway). It's the part that every looks at. The armor can be good but the helmet has to be great.

These are the temple pieces for the helmet after a light clean up.

Halo%20Helmet%20Day%20One%2009.jpg

BishopX said:
Yeah....I know but getting the helmet extremely symmetrical is important (to me anyway). It's the part that every looks at. The armor can be good but the helmet has to be great.

I agree. The best I could do would have been way better starting from a cnc.

love the side plates, I think I'll make carbon fiber ones. ;-P

Just imagine if you had the money to rapid-prototype everything. The final product would be whatever you designed in 3D down to .005 of an inch tolerance. Just one piece would probably cost you $25,000. I can't wait to see the final product with going the CNC route.

-Magnum

We thought about rapid prototyping...cost wasn't the issue. The abs that is used for the rapid prototyping is really hard and difficult to sand. The digital pattern that is left behind is a bit difficult to get rid of. This is slightly cheaper in the long run but will take much less time.

I was more thinking along the lines of STL then Fuse-Dep, but I see what you mean. There's also SLS which uses powdered materials. I'm guessing since you said ABS that you were probably talking about the Fuse-Dep method. You are right all these methods take a lot longer and are more expensive in the long run.

-Magnum

This will work out fine. I'm not worried about getting down to the detail. I'm more worried about keeping costs down at this point.

BishopX said:
This will work out fine. I'm not worried about getting down to the detail. I'm more worried about keeping costs down at this point.
Just send you drawings to China! lol

Why is CNC prototyping so expensive? If your making the 3-D models, and the foam in cheap, as is the electricity to run the CNC, where does the cost come from?

Master Chef said:
Why is CNC prototyping so expensive? If your making the 3-D models, and the foam in cheap, as is the electricity to run the CNC, where does the cost come from?

Because the owner of the CNC machine needs to earn back the money he invested in the machine, Because maintenance on a CNC machine isn't one of life great joy's , because people that need the check and correct all the 3D files aren't cheap...the list go's on and on.

CNC is expensive because its a delicate piece of equipment. The cost of a CNC machine are HUGH!! And you need a special certificated to work with those kind of machines...or do you want to hire somebody that isn't qualified and let your expensive machine be demolish by him....

For you people that need a 2-D CNC...
http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...s_promot_widget

Very, very nice work. Let me know if you need CAD help when you get around to weapons, I'm pretty good in Solidworks and I've worked in CNC a lot, professionally, so I know what you'd need. BTW, where'd you get the stuff waterjetted? I've done some of that before for robotics, and I know how expensive it is..

Also, how are you layering the pieces? I thought I saw a spot weld on one of them.

amazing work, wouldn't it be cheaper though to make your own CNC machine? As far as I know someone posted a link here to a tutorial, if that machine works, it wouldn't cost so much.

Then again, I have little to no knowledge in the field, so I am sorry if this sounds stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back