Legendary Armor – Mark VI Master Chief Helmet Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
CMANavy said:
That is true however a true "bishop" helmet is better than the OSCS but the difference is so slight only uber-nerds can tell the differences.

The one you have is an Original Bishop Helmet, not the OSCS .
(just to clarify )
:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to update you guys on the progress of the helmet visor. We are working on it but the movies you and tv shows you guys like to watch are getting in the way of progress. Can you guys just stop watching for a while so I can get some personal work done......please?

What you are looking at in these two pictures is the outer raised layer of what will be the buck. The lower portion is done already but this is the raised portions of the visor. This will be cut out and reattached back down to the buck prior to remolding and eventual vacuum forming.
Visor%20Progress%2001.JPG

Visor%20Progress%2002.JPG

Nice stencil work on the faux visor. I take it you'll be building that up for molding, then application of the tinted finish on the pulls? I recall you two had mentioned doing the visor that way before. Btw, just what material are you using for that piece? Is it simply heat-formed plexi-glass? It looks very solid, very opaque... :cautious:

Oh, and sweet job on the gauntlets there, fellas. Lookin' my-tee fine there... heh :D

@ Ph4de: IIRC, the master they had CNC'd had those two tabs recessed, not raised like on other helmets I've seen done. As such, they're probably going to cut out that portion of the visor and add that detail in from behind. That's what I would think, anyway... :cool:

SPARTAN II said:
@ Ph4de: IIRC, the master they had CNC'd had those two tabs recessed, not raised like on other helmets I've seen done. As such, they're probably going to cut out that portion of the visor and add that detail in from behind. That's what I would think, anyway... :cool:
Actually in the game if you look it is actually recessed. It is raised in other helmets to make sure the visor fits I believe.

I think it's just a matter of personal preference/interpretation, really. I mean, some people have made thiers with those side tabs recessed, and others with them raised. It depends on what the armour maker thinks looks best, or perhaps on the Pep file they worked with. Although, in John and Lewis' case they're going for game-accurate, and so those will be recessed...

Is it ok to feel discouraged that after all this amazing amount of work into making the ultimate halo prop, that I, or anyone else, won't be able to own one?!?

SPARTAN II said:
I think it's just a matter of personal preference/interpretation, really. I mean, some people have made thiers with those side tabs recessed, and others with them raised. It depends on what the armour maker thinks looks best, or perhaps on the Pep file they worked with. Although, in John and Lewis' case they're going for game-accurate, and so those will be recessed...
Exactly, so thats why I was wondering where the detail was.

CPU64 said:
Is it ok to feel discouraged that after all this amazing amount of work into making the ultimate halo prop, that I, or anyone else, won't be able to own one?!?

It's entirely understandable you'd feel that way (I think most everyone would), considering the high calibre of work going into this project. But don't look at it as such a downer, but an inspiration.

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't like to get my hands on these, but at the same time it's giving me further determination to make my own armour that much better.

Ph4de said:
Exactly, so thats why I was wondering where the detail was.

I can't speak for them, of course (don't know anything more about the project than anyone else here), but I would imagine that they'd be cutting out those corners on the visor and adding that detail underneath. That's what I'd do, anyway... :whistle:

LOL...

Okay, here it is.... This is not the buck, this is a piece of 1/8" thick black styrene that we vacuum formed over the buck. We are going to cut the low sections out of this styrene as if it were the visor. Once the cutouts are done and sanded, we will glue this back down to the buck. We will make some test pulls and once the buck is proven to be good, we will mold it and make a permanent buck that is ready for vacuum forming.

We will vacuum form 3/32" thick plexi over the buck, trim and send them out for gold reflective coating.

As for the detail on the sides, that is an additional part that will be added into the vacuum formed visor after it is installed.

Sweet... I thought it would be something along those lines... seems like I was pretty much "on the ball" with what I was saying, then... good to see I actually know a thing or two about this stuff, lol... :lol:

BishopX said:
We will vacuum form 3/32" thick plexi over the buck, trim and send them out for gold reflective coating.
Do you think you guys will do a number of these? The idea of a "true" visor has been kind of like the Holy Grail of these boards. :D I know I'd hop on one.

Well, to place the order for the coating process, we have to get 24 visors done. These visors, from what I have seen, will not fit another helmet though. These visors are significantly smaller than some of the other helmets will accomodate.

...yes these will be single layered with the 'indentions' already in place...and hopefully keyed to lock in place...and retain the bulbous look that should be there...NZ-TK had a pretty good lens he is working on...

BishopX said:
Well, to place the order for the coating process, we have to get 24 visors done. These visors, from what I have seen, will not fit another helmet though. These visors are significantly smaller than some of the other helmets will accomodate.

Wow, so are you going to have to get 24 visors coated that will fit only your helmet? That certainly does sound like it sucks.

It is looking fantastic, though... man, you guys do nice work.

NZ-TK had a pretty good lens he is working on...
I formed that by hand, using a big heat proof glass chemistry thing, like a big orb. I was going to break the visor up into three parts and use window tint, so the one I'm doing isn't really a "true" visor. Unfortunately I don't have the hardware in my studio to make a proper blown or formed Plexiglas(acrylic) visor, you need to pre stretch it, and have a pretty serious vacuum source for that type of carry on. I could make a master and have some outsourced but, I don't think Ill bother as it would only fit the LA helmet. I may get the stencils I'm working on cnc'd flat for hand forming after, that way I can get the nice curve on the edge of the raised area, but the cutting will probably make the edges appear a bit frosted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back