Legendary Armor – Mark VI Master Chief Helmet Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've ordered 3/32" thick clear acrylic.
Is that about 0.5mm? If so, when its that thin does it still need to be pre-stretched?

Last edited by a moderator:
BishopX said:
Strethched? I don't understand? I'll make a video for you today at some point.

What I mean is, I've never been able to get acrylic to vac form as it simply wont stretch over the buck to get a seal against the draw plate (although I've only used 2mm), my plastics supplier told me I need to stretch it first (by blowing or pulling a dome) then vaccing it down onto the buck. Hence why I make the EVA's out of ViVak. Was thinking perhaps acrylic at .5mm forms easier. A video would be great if you find the time, thanks heaps :)

I"ve lost all track of any meaning this conversation has had, too technical :p

So I'll just say that I love the helmet and think that you should donate to those who haven't the expertise, time, or money.

hehe jk.

Ah...I see....Actually, here's what you need to do....

Acrylic is tricky...Because it doesn't "drape" as much when heated as with other plastics, it doesn't pre-stretch itself. You have to use a larger piece of acrylic when pulling parts. Also, extruded acrylic sheet is far better for vacuum forming than cast acrylic. Why? I have no idea. I'm not sure as to why but usually when vacuum forming acrylic, you should ask for extruded vs. cast. Another thing....you need very good vacuum pressure. Shop vacs are sometimes not enough. We use a vacuum pressurized accumulator tank to make the initial immediate dump of air around the part then the vacuum kicks in.

I'd say that you should try extruded if you haven't already.

I'd say that you should try extruded if you haven't already.
I see, The stuff I use is called "A-Cast" so imagine it probably wasn't extruded. the next vac table I make will have a tank to back up the vacuum cleaner (a beer keg and a fridge compressor is the plan...cue MacGuyver theme song), so hopefully one day I'll have the hardware to do it, just have to convince someone to pay for it to be built first :lol: Thanks for the pointers, I guess I'll just stick with the ViVak for now.

This is mostly theory. But I believe cast would have been rolled onto a flat surface to harden. Where Extruded is pulled, which I guess would stretch the bond of the molecules.

Just a guess though.

:sleep: im confused not abought the helments i mean the people that are in legendary armor so far i have nz-tk, bishopx and xes is that it im just trying to get my head straight... the helments looks freaken awsome!

people who are a part of LA have the title under their avatar, if they dont, then there not a part.

Just in case you hadn't seen it, here is a test pull of the new visor buck....

MC%20Visor%20Test%2002.JPG

I'm going to write a book and maybe call it "I Have Arrived!" or maybe "You Wish You Were on Speed Too?!"
Yay drug puns!

Anyway, the helms look great =].

Give me one or I'll ban you with my average every other member powers.

NZ-TK said:
If I was part of LA, I'd make them spell "armour" properly :p

Man.. I get that all the time. My fiance is from Canada. Colour, Armour, Chequing accounts, pop, yada yada

i saw the bunch of helmets that were done and im asking my self .... what is this a mass spartan invasion (y)

good work its really good looking! (y)

NZ-TK said:
If I was part of LA, I'd make them spell "armour" properly :p

At last! Some civilisation amongst this merry crowd of armourers!

Seriously creaming myself here watching this visor come together... can't wait to finally see something gold and shiny... make that 23 you have to worry about selling ;)

We've just finished sanding the visor buck. These are pictures of it after a heavy primer and sanding. Now all we have to do is clear coat, mold and cast the bucks.

MC%20Visor%20Buck%20Progress%2001.JPG

MC%20Visor%20Buck%20Progress%2003.JPG

MC%20Visor%20Buck%20Progress%2004.JPG

MC%20Handbacks%20ready%20to%20mold.JPG

wowowow..

do you have any idea when your going to start the chest?

yea yea i know ODST is primary, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back