Legendary Armor – Mark VI Master Chief Helmet Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
slavefive said:
...they do not hold up very well...you need some sort of backing to have it stick or glue...plus paint does not seem to stick that well, could have also just been the paint I was using but saw it firsthand on a few belts...

...HyperFirm...nuff said :cool:

Ah ok. I heard about the painting issue, a few people solved that apperently, but were only really able to use the only colors available, such as for the shock troopers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vrogy said:
Couple hundred for a hand plate? Science, that's a lot.
I guess it comes down to fast, cheap, good- pick two.. which is fine, but most of the people here can't drop that kind of money on a project.
Most people don’t have the finances to make huge expenditures on projects like this, that’s totally normal and understandable.

But projects like these mostly involve patience, ridiculous amounts of time, dedication and money, it just gets things done better and moving faster in the ever-shrinking timeframe they have remaining.

It’s quite an investment but borrowing on what Lewis said earlier you get what you put into it and the end result matters, both he and John are very committed to this project on every facet both technically and financially to ensure everything is top notch and the best it can be because they care about the work and know the importance it can help play in helping this ever growing community.

anyone ever tell you you guys are bastardrs?! way to showoff and make everyone else feel bad about their work =p

but in all seriousness, very nice work. SELL PLX!

p0rtalman said:
ill be perfectly honest, I'm not to keen on the square looking design (Just my opinion, don't take anything the wrong way)
I also think that the circles are a bit to big... Who knows, it might just be me (the rest of your work is brilliant!)

I'll let Microsoft know that their high res file is crap....LOL....

Just kidding.

It's made from this file so, I'd say it's about as accurate as it gets though.

MC%20Handback01.jpg

I kind of agree, the curved design of the hand plate doesn't seem right. I don't know, but to me whenever I look at it, it doesn't look like Master Chief's armor. I know you strive for the best quality available, and that you have High resolution files directly from Microsoft but if you look at screenshots from gameplay, the hand plate is flat.

halo3.jpg

if you look at screenshots from gameplay, the hand plate is flat.
Thats is because the xbox 360's graphics card cant handle in-game displacement and if the game had to use the hi res model there wouldn't be enough processing power left to run the game. What they do is a graphics trick called normal mapping, which essentially gives a flat surface, viewer angle dependent animated shading. They make normal maps from very high resolution models by capturing the way the light hits the object, that data is then converted to a 2D tri colour map, each of the colours tell the games graphics engine how to light the object from various angles, the map is then placed on a much lower resolution version of the same model to give the appearance of detail where there is in fact none. A good real worl analogy would be a hologram, ie, a 2d surface that has a type of 3d information written on it. Its a similar illusion.

RadioaciveMicrobe said:
I kind of agree, the curved design of the hand plate doesn't seem right. I don't know, but to me whenever I look at it, it doesn't look like Master Chief's armor. I know you strive for the best quality available, and that you have High resolution files directly from Microsoft but if you look at screenshots from gameplay, the hand plate is flat.

halo3.jpg

In game, to keep resources low, they use normal mapping to simulate the curve by creating an optical illusion from the right angles. But in actuality the polygons are indeed flat and faceted, especially when viewed at harsh angles from the textured face. Legendary Armor strives to make what should be, not necessaraly what is.

For example, when people are making the pepakura armor. They use bondo resins and sandpaper to smooth away the polygons into what the armor should be.

NZ-TK said:
Thats is because the xbox 360's graphics card cant handle in-game displacement and if the game had to use the hi res model there wouldn't be enough processing power left to run the game. What they do is a graphics trick called normal mapping, which essentially gives a flat surface, viewer angle dependent animated shading. They make normal maps from very high resolution models by capturing the way the light hits the object, that data is then converted to a 2D tri colour map, each of the colours tell the games graphics engine how to light the object from various angles, the map is then placed on a much lower resolution version of the same model to give the appearance of detail where there is in fact none. A good real worl analogy would be a hologram, ie, a 2d surface that has a type of 3d information written on it. Its a similar illusion.

xes said:
In game, to keep resources low, they use normal mapping to simulate the curve by creating an optical illusion from the right angles. But in actuality the polygons are indeed flat and faceted, especially when viewed at harsh angles from the textured face. Legendary Armor strives to make what should be, not necessaraly what is.

For example, when people are making the pepakura armor. They use bondo resins and sandpaper to smooth away the polygons into what the armor should be.

...Thank God you 2 said it so that I would not have to type it :lol:

I think that the curve should exist. Some things people have to understand when creating video game costumes to real life, that some things are distorted. For example, you see an object, but they can only use so many poly's to make it look l round, and it can look off, by appearing to have distinct sides, whereas in real life, you would have to make it truly round, instead of squared off.

In this case, I feel the curve is a necessity for the sense of realism. Human hands are not flat, and I feel would requires a form fitting curve. Like was xes said, most of mapping on models are meant to create illusions, to make it look the way the programmers need it to look like, for example, the jetpack and helmet details on the 3d model of the darktrooper from star wars battlefront, they are nothing more then images/ drawings, which are wrapped onto the 3d model. Even from the MC model I have, those details are wrapped onto it, not actual poly's.

Like John mentioned earlier on there using the official sanctioned Microsoft/bungie model produced for the starry night promo, which is the definitive reference.

Those before have already articulately discussed the deceptive reality created through normal mapping made the possibility of using the in game model impractical due to this and its sub par resolution.

You simply have to take into account the transition between in game and reality, there are many embellishments and liberties taken in the game model that simply do not translate over practically so this necessitated the guys to find a better source.

And this model file is the best there is, enuff said. :cool:

h3snhandplateqw3.jpg

Hmm after seeing the picture above, i disregard my last statement. (and i never thought it was wrong, just that it didn't appeal to me)

p0rtalman said:
Hmm after seeing the picture above, i disregard my last statement. (and i never thought it was wrong, just that it didn't appeal to me)

...LoL dude...dont even sweat it...opinions are like butts...we all have them and every perspective counts when we are in the midst of creating something...once something is done it is often difficult to fix something that we may have missed...

...feel free to always post your comments...

Laters
Lewis :)

I thought you were gonna keep the info about your model on the down low, but w/e, an MS exec might read this and have a heart attack.

Like I've said, these guys are in it FTW!

good hand plate!

This is the reality of this project...

I know the game came first but obviously the 3d models from the game do not hold up to close scrutiny without mapping and such for smoothing and detail. Luckily, we "happened" upon the starry night model. Even at as high of a resolution as it is, we are still forced to smooth the model to at least quadrupal the amount of polygons before sending it to the SLA house or CNC vendors.

Our intent is to make, via output, (as much as monetarily possible) a VERY accurate Master Chief suit that Microsoft/Bungie/WETA themselves would be proud to use. Don't get me wrong, I'm not interested in making it for them but it must be worthy of going in front of a camera if we are going to spend this much time and money making it. This means sharp lines and proper proportions. Autocad is our friend....

We use Autocad/Rhino/Maya to size, check, size, verify, smooth and verify the models before we send them out for SLA or CNC. Trust me, I wish we could output these parts at work but sometimes, it's better to keep your personal fun out of work.....so, we pay big money to have it done right.

Our intent is to make an accurate to the file Master Chief Armor....We're not really comparing it to the game. The game armor looks good but it is not relevant to our goal. Painting will be another point of controversy... We're not trying to paint this like the game but more as if it were a real world suit of armor. Duller colors and realistic scarring.

I like arguing if you didn't notice....

The "two betrayals" had the best mjolnir armor color.....................shiny, brown, and scratched up.

........How much of a bitch would that be to recreate?

I came across some material yesterday that feels like a texturized plastic but then bends like a firm rubber... any ideas on what it could be. It was used for a chair at a diner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back