Legendary Armor Spartan Armor Progress....

Status
Not open for further replies.
untitled.99.jpg

[/IMG]

I really really love these renders, it's lookin crazy slick!

And Bishop and SKG, I'm happy to help out in any way I can :)

And @Shade88: haha yeah pretty random that out of 11,000 people in that playlist we'd end up playing! GG to you too, you rocked that one.

My question is small, i believe it was adressed earlier but i cant find it so i apologize in advance.

what material are you guys using the cnc on, and is that just for your mold?
if so, what is the next step you take before casting peices?

My question is small, i believe it was adressed earlier but i cant find it so i apologize in advance.

what material are you guys using the cnc on, and is that just for your mold?
if so, what is the next step you take before casting peices?

Its a material called Renshape. It's a dense foam. It needs to be sealed, sanded, have details added, sanded, sanded AGAIN, primered. Check out BishopX's progress on the CQC helmet. Then it will be molded in silicone.

Its a material called Renshape. It's a dense foam. It needs to be sealed, sanded, have details added, sanded, sanded AGAIN, primered. Check out BishopX's progress on the CQC helmet. Then it will be molded in silicone.

Alright thanks for th info, as usaul the help here is quick and informative. but now being so inspired to use a cnc machine i have access to one at my school. (WOO!)
So if i may ask two more questions of the L.A. team; what is the cost of Renshape and where can it be accquired?
And do you mean CQC on this thread(It looks amazing btw)?

Yeah, I was lucky that one Ruze. I usually don't have lucky days like that one. (I won five game in a row, never has happened to me before, probably never again. lol.)

Alright thanks for th info, as usaul the help here is quick and informative. but now being so inspired to use a cnc machine i have access to one at my school. (WOO!)
So if i may ask two more questions of the L.A. team; what is the cost of Renshape and where can it be accquired?
And do you mean CQC on this thread(It looks amazing btw)?

Unfortunately, Renshape is not cheap. A 4'x8' sheet of the green 4" thick is over $1000 US, and you have to have it shipped via freight. I believe the green is Renshape 5020 (BishopX, correct me on this?)

If you poke around with Google, you might be able to find a hobby supply or something that stocks smaller pieces, but I'm only seeing places with the 4x8 sheets.

Hmm Thats slightly unfortunate haha, you guys sure do put the legend in legendary. That seems slightly within the oh my god impossible range. I wonder if there is any other material i could tamper with to acheive close results...

If it is safe to assume you put in the details after its already carved out and during the process of sanding and such then maybe, i could get some lower rez 3d models and do it in the pink foam insulate us table toppers love so much...

any thoughts?

Depends on the size of the details and how much time you want to spend. Basically, the smaller the tool, the smaller the details you can put in. For instance, if you have a panel line that is 1/16 wide, and you're using a 1/2" tool- the software is smart enough to know it can't fit in there and will ignore it. Now, you can get the rough shape with the 1/2 bit, then do another pass with a smaller bit to get the nice surfacing and details. That's how BishopX runs the armor and helmets. The trouble is you have to change the bit out manually for every pass. And each pass = more time. So depending on the details, it might be faster to do them by hand.

That's another one of those things I was talking about- deciding what do by machine or by hand is a skill in itself. You might think it's better to just let the machine do EVERYTHING, but some stuff will come out better and be faster to do by hand.

Some CNC's have automatic tool changers, the small one I am running the Magnum on does that.

As far as material, you want something that the machine will gradually eat away at- and has some kind of resolution. I'm not sure how the pink foam would work- you will probably have to adjust the speed of the machine to avoid melting it. Something cheap to try might be that green florists foam they sell at Michaels. or JoAnns. I've seen people sculpt that by hand for armor. Not the really soft stuff, the larger cell harder stuff. It's a dark green. The soft stuff is way too delicate. You drop it once or bump it and it's dented.

You'd have to seal it a hard coat- something like Bondo probably- but there's a trade off, in that now your material is cheap but you're trading that for time and work. And Bondo might melt it- I'm just thinking out loud. I'm not sure how it would work.

No problem with the thinking out loud. all the info is a huge help. If i manage to pull this off ill start a thread about it and that wy give other high school and college age cash-strapped kids like me a good chance of trying cnc work.

have you seen the 50$ and under DIY CNCs on the internet? hose guys have made magic out of old printers haha

Master Chief only wishes his armor was this awesome..

Oh wait it is.

Amazing work ladies and gentlemen. You're making me want to spend money on a machiene that will likely gather dust in my garage.
Look forward to seeing the finished project. :)

For now i stick to EVA, paper and Resin XD

Hi Tim. I'm alive. I survived the weekend although still sick. I feel like crapola. Is this thread still alive?

Hi Tim. I'm alive. I survived the weekend although still sick. I feel like crapola. Is this thread still alive?

I hope you get to feeling better buddy! Rest up, take your vitamins and drink plenty of OJ ( if its a cold ). If you're up to it, Reach tonight.

Hi. I will be on Reach tonight for sure. I will play like a lethargic sick person (like usual). I'll turn off my mic so you don't have to hear the hacking. LO*kaf*L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back