Let The Madness Begin, Or My Warthog Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ditto^ but it would be even better if your kids were grown up !!!

1. you don't have to waste time feeding them ect.
2. they could help you make this project move 4 times faster :p

i hope this looks great once your done! (and if it's not, we'll make you do it again!! mwahahaha!!....... lol jks it will look great)

UPDATE
AUG 7 2010

Got the top trimmed and shaped. Screwed the wire to the frame on the bottom. Still need to add some screws to the underneath top side tomorrow. I used the same spray foam and tried a different technique. It worked better than before. I am still looking for a different foam, but if i can't find it i will just use the regular spray type. The regular spray type just starts to shrink up when you touch it at all with hand or with a board. It took 3 cans to get that much covered. I am letting it set up for the night. Will get a few more cans tomorrow and get the whole panel done before i leave off for work. If i have time i will try to sand it down tomorrow and put a coat of clear or something over it to protect it from the elements while i am gone, and to keep it from melting bad when the resin from the fiberglass gets on it. I am also going to have to cut out a few more braces to put under it and then foam some on the back side.

4870513658_384736ac9a_z.jpg

4870513648_a1a64afaf9_z.jpg

4870513638_dec8246f3a_z.jpg

4870513646_42c567cde6_z.jpg

4870513644_f2fef0d090_z.jpg

:O!! This thing is seriously Epic!!!!

it kinda puts my paper Nade too shame lol.

Do you ever get tired of people repeating the same questions over and over again?

Keep up the Great work :D

An idea for a future hog build I'm planning myself is to do a similar wire shaping and then apply layers of fiberglass to it til I get a evenly thick layer on all the surfaces I want it to be on.

The same idea may work well if the foam idea doesn't pan out properly.

Just make your fiberglass nice and thick so you can add details and sand it to a good smooth finish for painting.

An idea for a future hog build I'm planning myself is to do a similar wire shaping and then apply layers of fiberglass to it til I get a evenly thick layer on all the surfaces I want it to be on.

The same idea may work well if the foam idea doesn't pan out properly.

Just make your fiberglass nice and thick so you can add details and sand it to a good smooth finish for painting.

The reason i wanted the foam on there was to cut down on the amount of fiberglass layers i am going to put on it. The wire i am using is not flat. It has ridges in it. So when i sand the foam it will allow everything to be smooth and if there is a small dip it will take care of that too.

That sounds like a better plan than mine.
How do you plan on reinforcing the bed before you put fiberglass or anything over the surface?

That sounds like a better plan than mine.
How do you plan on reinforcing the bed before you put fiberglass or anything over the surface?

I have some more bracing i am going to put down in the bed part, then i am either going with 3/4 inch plywood or maybe some diamond plate if it isn't too pricey. I was looking at wood and fiberglass for the bed sides on the inside where the gunner would stand. I have part of the base of the turret done but haven't tired to mount it yet because i haven't swapped the chassis yet.

cant wait to see how it turns out! i wanted to try something like this once but i couldnt get a hold of a jeep haha. its noce to see someone finally bringing this idea to life

What are you using to sand the foam, In my experience with it, it's a pain to sand.

I don't think this foam is very high density. I had good luck using 60 grit on a standard wood sanding block. I sanded over a square foot worth of area and the sandpaper after blowing it off a couple of times still looked new. 3m brand sand paper. I have tried the cheap stuff and it tears way to easily.

I had a great idea. Hook up the gun system.... Make it a fully rotating barrel....... And hook up sound effects from Halo: CE. It's effing obnoxious. Have a buddy drive you to your ex wife's house...... and go screamin' into her yard, ALL GUNS BLAZING. Take that you evil.... Er.... BEYOTCH....... LOL..... OH, OH, OH, OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do it at like in the morning, with a HUUUUUUGE sound system, **BLASTING** the loop of the turret. THAT WOULD FREAK ANYONE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

HERE is the closest thing to a warthog i have seen to a warthog. but its not based off the warthog nor is its intended purpose to maul the covenant :) plus you'd have to drop 90k on that bad boy.

I had a great idea. Hook up the gun system.... Make it a fully rotating barrel....... And hook up sound effects from Halo: CE. It's effing obnoxious. Have a buddy drive you to your ex wife's house...... and go screamin' into her yard, ALL GUNS BLAZING. Take that you evil.... Er.... BEYOTCH....... LOL..... OH, OH, OH, OH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do it at like in the morning, with a HUUUUUUGE sound system, **BLASTING** the loop of the turret. THAT WOULD FREAK ANYONE OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't argue with that logic my friend, sounds like a plan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back