Let The Madness Begin, Or My Warthog Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thing that came up to me when I looked at that picture was the windshield. Why do we need that much of windsheild in front of the driver? just seems useless other than the looks.

Chip475 said:
This is so nice man!

one thing I notice is that the front metal is a little too high.

I'm sure youll get it right.

Please get it on!

It should drop down more when i get the engine in there. I took a measurement of a friends K5 with the engine in it between the frame and spring. I then took a chain and binder to compress the suspension. A lot of that empty space will be taken up when the winch is on there. I am happy with the shape the FT end wound up. I may have to wind up lowering it. Just have to see what it looks like when i get the roof and sides on.

Last edited by a moderator:
MarneusCal said:
I thing that came up to me when I looked at that picture was the windshield. Why do we need that much of windsheild in front of the driver? just seems useless other than the looks.

I haven't seen what the windshield is suppose to be made of but it could be a type of bullet proof glass and having a long sweeping angle would help deflect bullets better than a flat windshield. The other reason you could say was for aerodynamics. But the Warthog isn't really that fast enough to need it.

Deflection was my first thought when I saw that as well. Its odd though, since the 'hog doesn't have any other sort of armor or protection for the occupants.

Also... wouldn't the bullets be deflected UP towards the standing gunner?

The Gunner has so little protection anyway, a few more bullets wouldn't matter^^

But no I think they would be deflected higher than the gunner's head.

ADOR said:
I haven't seen what the windshield is suppose to be made of but it could be a type of bullet proof glass and having a long sweeping angle would help deflect bullets better than a flat windshield. The other reason you could say was for aerodynamics. But the Warthog isn't really that fast enough to need it.

How are you planning on doing the windshield? With all those curves, I would think it would be a nightmare to custom make. But I'm guessing you have something up your sleeve ;)!

:ninja: Maybe the windshield actually serves no real purpose. Maybe the game designers put it there just for a more futuristic and different look. After all, its just a game :D

M07Marauder said:
I am sitting hear checking out all your progress and wondering "Why the hell have you not been made a veteran early or even an Elite?".

Great job, will be waiting for you to get back and finish this beast :D .
probably because he doesnt have much done yet =/ he hasnt even finished the
frame of it yet...

Well i have been mainly silent, but lurking. One of my projects i finally finished a couple nights ago. I have been working on two photo reference books for my current project and future projects. This is what i have thrown together right now.

BOOK ONE

1: WETA WARTHOG REFERENCE
3 PAGES ON SPECS ON THE FACTORY CHASSIS
67 TOTAL DIFFERENT SHOTS
12 LANDFALL (HD) PICTURES (VLC MEDIA PLAYER)

2: HALO WARS VIDEO STILLS (VLC MEDIA PLAYER) 6

3: IN GAME WARTHOG 66 PICTURES

4: IN GAME WARTHOG / TROOP CARRIER 11 PICTURES

5: IN GAME MODED WARTHOGS 27 PICTURES

6: PETER'S OPERATION CHASITY WARTHOG 64 PICTURES

7: HELLJUMPERS ALFA AND BRAVO WARTHOG 25 PICTURES

8: MY CURRENT PROJECT 76 PICTURES

BOOK TWO

1: MONGOOSE
HALOPEDIA 5 PAGES
IN GAME SHOTS 31
CAD SHOTS 43 ( A BIG THANK YOU OUT TO BEVBOR )

2: ODST SUIT
IN GAME SHOTS 65
LANDFALL SHOTS 28
CAD SHOTS 15

3: EMBLEMS 10

4: WEAPON SHOTS 40

5: MARINE IN GAME SHOTS 40
REAL LIFE MARINE COSTUME SHOTS 30

BOOK THREE

1: 88 TOTAL MIXED WARTHOG PICTURES, CROPPED, ROTATED, COMPARED SIDE BY SIDE FOR DRAWING ON SO THE GOOD BOOKS DON'T GET MESSED UP.

3573820236_1d1b8f91bf_b.jpg

3573820246_63f52f7fa3_b.jpg

These three books are going to help me big time. Have a new game plan on the rear of the Warthog. It involves a sawsall and some trimming. Been comparing angles and the one on my rear is way off. Got to fix it now before i can do the top, or rather when i get home here in a little over a week. Also decided to change where i was going to locate the roof. Nothing major but it should fix all the little problems that came up right before i left and get all the proportions back right.

ADOR said:
Well i have been mainly silent, but lurking. One of my projects i finally finished a couple nights ago. I have been working on two photo reference books for my current project and future projects. This is what i have thrown together right now.

BOOK ONE

1: WETA WARTHOG REFERENCE
3 PAGES ON SPECS ON THE FACTORY CHASSIS
67 TOTAL DIFFERENT SHOTS
12 LANDFALL (HD) PICTURES (VLC MEDIA PLAYER)

2: HALO WARS VIDEO STILLS (VLC MEDIA PLAYER) 6

3: IN GAME WARTHOG 66 PICTURES

4: IN GAME WARTHOG / TROOP CARRIER 11 PICTURES

5: IN GAME MODED WARTHOGS 27 PICTURES

6: PETER'S OPERATION CHASITY WARTHOG 64 PICTURES

7: HELLJUMPERS ALFA AND BRAVO WARTHOG 25 PICTURES

8: MY CURRENT PROJECT 76 PICTURES

BOOK TWO

1: MONGOOSE
HALOPEDIA 5 PAGES
IN GAME SHOTS 31
CAD SHOTS 43 ( A BIG THANK YOU OUT TO BEVBOR )

2: ODST SUIT
IN GAME SHOTS 65
LANDFALL SHOTS 28
CAD SHOTS 15

3: EMBLEMS 10

4: WEAPON SHOTS 40

5: MARINE IN GAME SHOTS 40
REAL LIFE MARINE COSTUME SHOTS 30

BOOK THREE

1: 88 TOTAL MIXED WARTHOG PICTURES, CROPPED, ROTATED, COMPARED SIDE BY SIDE FOR DRAWING ON SO THE GOOD BOOKS DON'T GET MESSED UP.

These three books are going to help me big time. Have a new game plan on the rear of the Warthog. It involves a sawsall and some trimming. Been comparing angles and the one on my rear is way off. Got to fix it now before i can do the top, or rather when i get home here in a little over a week. Also decided to change where i was going to locate the roof. Nothing major but it should fix all the little problems that came up right before i left and get all the proportions back right.

that looks like a very good idea. It would be great to use for any project.

This is quite impressive. Anyone else who called "gunner seat" ....sorry guys, it will be me cause I shall kill you before you get to it <devilish look> lol j/k.

Also, you must have one very understanding and supportive wife and/or girlfriend and/or hand and/or all of these combined lol :D.

ADOR said:

where aerodynamics start to cause a burden on a vechicle is between 35 and 45 mph. so i would say that it could be part of the warthogs design but the open sides would cause a large ammoung of drag and the gunn as well. plus i have been trying to figure out how they are actually getting the wart hog to move because all the wheels are independent with out anti sway bars. the wheels i think move through a ujoint axel in each wheel arm with a diffrential at each wheel but i am not compleetly sure another thing i see is a chain of some sort that runs down that arm. the best way i see of duplicating the warthog is to use an electric motor on each wheel and have a small 2 cylinder to recharge the batteries. the knuckels would also have to be an electric motor driven. i would sugest a that the arms just a shell with wires runing thrugh and gussets to support the massive moments that will be happening on the arms.

turtleluda said:
where aerodynamics start to cause a burden on a vechicle is between 35 and 45 mph. so i would say that it could be part of the warthogs design but the open sides would cause a large ammoung of drag and the gunn as well. plus i have been trying to figure out how they are actually getting the wart hog to move because all the wheels are independent with out anti sway bars. the wheels i think move through a ujoint axel in each wheel arm with a diffrential at each wheel but i am not compleetly sure another thing i see is a chain of some sort that runs down that arm. the best way i see of duplicating the warthog is to use an electric motor on each wheel and have a small 2 cylinder to recharge the batteries. the knuckels would also have to be an electric motor driven. i would sugest a that the arms just a shell with wires runing thrugh and gussets to support the massive moments that will be happening on the arms.

For what i have gathered the Warthog is powered by a v-12 hydrogen engine hooked to a generator. Look at some pictures of "battle damaged" Warthog and you can see the engine in the ft. The reason i would say the console is so big is to cover the generator. It has a electric motor on each wheel. That would work really well for a 4x4 because electric motors have 100% of there torque available at all RPM's. It doesn't say it the warthog has a battery or not. But i would say it would based on the fact that this is a military vehicle. The battery ( or future power cell) could also act as a back up so your troops could go a little further if the engine was damaged or was out of fuel. The only thing i see that would be a pain to do would be the steering. The steering would have to drop through each cantilever. I would say the steering would be some type electric servo. Just for fun i have been working on all of this on paper, but just haven't put much time in the steering yet.

THis thing is going to be a beast!!! This is something I plan to do very soon though I am going to be using a 80's model Bronco chasis. Good luck with the build, look forward to seeing more pics!!!

warhound said:
if you need a windshield still l have an idea....How about a 1990 corvette's rear window!
90red5.jpg

Thanks, that's a good idea but i believe that it will be too wide. Have to look it up and see. I will most likely wind up just using a sheet of lexan "glass" and shaping it OR just biting the bullet and getting it done by a custom glass place.

ADOR said:
For what i have gathered the Warthog is powered by a v-12 hydrogen engine hooked to a generator. Look at some pictures of "battle damaged" Warthog and you can see the engine in the ft. The reason i would say the console is so big is to cover the generator. It has a electric motor on each wheel. That would work really well for a 4x4 because electric motors have 100% of there torque available at all RPM's. It doesn't say it the warthog has a battery or not. But i would say it would based on the fact that this is a military vehicle. The battery ( or future power cell) could also act as a back up so your troops could go a little further if the engine was damaged or was out of fuel. The only thing i see that would be a pain to do would be the steering. The steering would have to drop through each cantilever. I would say the steering would be some type electric servo. Just for fun i have been working on all of this on paper, but just haven't put much time in the steering yet.

the steering could just be a fly by wire with the electric motors on the knuckles so you can just run wires down the cantilever. this could be a very simple way for the 4 wheel steering, and by it being fly by wheel steering it would be a breeze to turn the wheel for a 2 ton + truck. it would need it to be computer run. i get my information from working on a solar car for my university. for breaks i should stress that you have regen. breaks. They can stop a car real fast. there is a way to use the movement of the suspension to generate power from the movement that could help absorb the shock from the road.other than that im having trouble thinking what else you could use to dampen the suspension. with how little volume you have for a v 12 and have be connected to a genn. but in the future i guess these things are possible.

Finally out of Saudi Arabia and am at the airport in Bahrain. I have called ahead and told them to prep the sawsall HA HA HA HA HA. Time to get the ball rolling again. A whole month of just looking and no work on a project is a killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back