Lhc

Status
Not open for further replies.
anonymous said:
Just so you all know, all they did today was circulate a single proton. The real smashing will be in mid october.
Yeah, we know that. (I think I like prettyful colorish text). But still, nothing will happen... besides Science!

Last edited by a moderator:
helios said:
I therorise that science will discover that quarks and gluons are made of even smaller particles called stickions and Lego-ons.

It's strange. I can follow all this, yet I'm failing (High School) Physics. I think it's because this stuff's interesting to me, and it's not all equations.

You hypothesis.

A theory, in science, is not like a normal theory. A theory in science is a proven fact.

Did you know the idea that you are made up of millions of cells is a "theory".

Its been proven that you are made up of cells.

I think thats where a lot of confusion comes in.

Actually, not a fail. please know your stuff before you go posting links to things that dont prove your point.

So your saying Cell Theory doesnt exist?

Have you ever looked into a microscope?

A Theory, and a Scientific Theory are two different things.

Sigma-LS said:
Chris Bryan, I got a ton of respect for ya man but no need to bash the scientists. People devote their lives to what they do, and you got to respect that. I think learning more about the origin of the universe and the most basic building blocks of the universe is a worthy cause. I mean if people want to get downright utilitarian, there would be no need for artisan's or anything else. Scientists do contribute in terms of technology, understanding natural processes, medicine. Your opinion is your right but keep in mind we're some of the people you're telling GTFO and do something else.
Everybody else- And obviously, no religion debates or LOCKAGE.

simga but you have to admit that scientists do spend tones and tones of government funding on a hunch that may or may not be correct. But what would the world be with out scientists? one there would be no halo or any sort of videogames

hey are you a researcher or something that sci related?

Fenix Chief said:
Yeah, The LHC Doomed Google! Dear God, man the life boats! Yeah, I think they make a pretty big deal about the whole machine.
dont you guess read

"On September 10, to commemorate the firing of the Large Hadron Collider, Google displayed a custom Google Doodle[44] with a drawing of the LHC which linked to a web search for "Large Hadron Collider". It is a tradition for Google to change their logo to represent what they consider to be important or interesting events."

Google does it all the time when theres a pop event that takes place during the day.I always click on it you can learn some very interesting stuff that happens this day in history. Just taking a wild guess that google going to do some thing for 9/11 but thats just a hunch but a pretty big one

Spartan 051 said:
simga but you have to admit that scientists do spend tones and tones of government funding on a hunch that may or may not be correct. But what would the world be with out scientists? one there would be no halo or any sort of videogames

hey are you a researcher or something that sci related?

Yup.

Well as far as the US government goes, most funding is run by the National Science Foundation (NSF). For all scientific fields put together, non-government agencies, they have a little over a hundred million dollars a year to give out for research. I mean that's for pretty much everybody. That includes biologists of every type, geneticists, physicists, engineers, geologists, archaeologists, paleontologists, chemists, statisticians, environmental scientists, you name it. Only 1 out of every 10 funding requests gets money. 90% rejection rate. Nobody gets a lot of cash for a hunch. You might be able to ferret out a thousand dollars or so for a pilot study though :D.

Funny to think that some of the most critical scientific research in the country is run on a shoestring budget and all of the funding put together for a year could only buy about 4 new Joint Strike Fighters. But good thing the government isn't the only place to look for funding. Otherwise most folks would be in real trouble. :eek:

You want to know what pays for most academic research funding: scientific societies, college tuition, alumni donations and private interests. The government usually only weighs in if it's something huge like the LHC.

Sigma-LS said:
Yup.

Well as far as the US government goes, most funding is run by the National Science Foundation (NSF). For all scientific fields put together, non-government agencies, they have a little over a hundred million dollars a year to give out for research. I mean that's for pretty much everybody. That includes biologists of every type, geneticists, physicists, engineers, geologists, archaeologists, paleontologists, chemists, statisticians, environmental scientists, you name it. Only 1 out of every 10 funding requests gets money. 90% rejection rate. Nobody gets a lot of cash for a hunch. You might be able to ferret out a thousand dollars or so for a pilot study though :D.

Funny to think that some of the most critical scientific research in the country is run on a shoestring budget and all of the funding put together for a year could only buy about 4 new Joint Strike Fighters. But good thing the government isn't the only place to look for funding. Otherwise most folks would be in real trouble. :eek:

You want to know what pays for most academic research funding: scientific societies, college tuition, alumni donations and private interests. The government usually only weighs in if it's something huge like the LHC.

That's very true.

Up north of the border, we go to different societies to get funding for experiments.

Most of the time, the research is turned down as a fluke and our scientists ship out to Europe, the US, and other first world countries to look for other funding.

And 100 million to fund scientific research for everybody seems a little low. I'm not criticizing anything, but I'd say that 100 million for all of the US scientific research branch is not nearly enough. Most research and experiments can cost well over 100 million to start with.

Too bad we can't afford to fund scientific research a bit better than we do now.

SCIENCE!

tipper said:
That's very true.

Up north of the border, we go to different societies to get funding for experiments.

Most of the time, the research is turned down as a fluke and our scientists ship out to Europe, the US, and other first world countries to look for other funding.

And 100 million to fund scientific research for everybody seems a little low. I'm not criticizing anything, but I'd say that 100 million for all of the US scientific research branch is not nearly enough. Most research and experiments can cost well over 100 million to start with.

Too bad we can't afford to fund scientific research a bit better than we do now.
SCIENCE!

Yeah, of course it's low. Have you HEARD how messed up the US government budget is?

Also, anonymous, society has a tendency to take science terms and distort the meaning. So while those "dictionaries" you cited may be correct in that sense, from a scientific viewpoint, theory really means "A hypothesis that has been tested many many times and has not yet been proven false."

Still, People make a big deal about it. "OMG! THERE IS THIS N3W MACHINE THAT SNDS ATMS @ H1GH SP33DS! LOLOLOLOL!!!! Wooowww. They say it might also help cure cancer, but I'm not really sure about that.

Sigma-LS said:
Yup.

I bet that job can be kind of addicting when you find something new. I would never do a good friend just got a job as a researcher and he getting paid around 28k with a masters.

hmm always thought it just funded by the government not by a private foundation. Why i thought that is when you look at what the government is spending our money on it like $$$ million on this or on that. Im sure they have stepped in like in places like agriculture or looking for more petrol (oil). I guess you learn some thing new every day.

tipper said:
That's very true.

SCIENCE!

Are budget is one of the weirdest things will spend billions and billions on national security but well spend only a few 100 million on poverty. But then again our president got his priorities mixed alittle bit. I guess newclear carrier and strategery recourse are more important then nation problems

Religion or not, no one living in the present or anytime in the future, will know how the universe began.
Even the time line is all made up, like it or not.
I also don't have my own "theory" for one, it would be only my opinion, and it doesn't really matter to me. Knowing the answer will change absolutely nothing about the course of my existence.

And the main point is, really, even if it were possible for anyone to find out "how the universe began" what good will it do to ANY of us?

Its just like trying to research to find out which came first the chicken, or the egg. Will the answer revolutionize the existence of humanity and how we eat either one?
Or will we just go ahead just as we are, only to wonder why we wasted the money/time into finding the answer?

I'm not bashing science or any scientist. I'm just not really cool with research that doesn't really lead to much..

Building the LHC to recreate a theory (bigbang) that can't ever be proven?
That to me, is a waste of time.

Science has always been trying to disprove god, and religion has always been trying to destroy science....its the way it goes, we can never change it, its human nature.

but this may finally help explain how the universe came to be....and we may finally be on our way to learning more about the world! i dont know about you, but i think this is pretty amazing.

but then again, scientists creating a black hole destroying the earth would be pretty cool too. so, its an even trade ;)

CPU64 said:
Religion or not, no one living in the present or anytime in the future, will know how the universe began.
Even the time line is all made up, like it or not.
I also don't have my own "theory" for one, it would be only my opinion, and it doesn't really matter to me. Knowing the answer will change absolutely nothing about the course of my existence.

And the main point is, really, even if it were possible for anyone to find out "how the universe began" what good will it do to ANY of us?

Its just like trying to research to find out which came first the chicken, or the egg. Will the answer revolutionize the existence of humanity and how we eat either one?
Or will we just go ahead just as we are, only to wonder why we wasted the money/time into finding the answer?

I'm not bashing science or any scientist. I'm just not really cool with research that doesn't really lead to much..

Building the LHC to recreate a theory (bigbang) that can't ever be proven?
That to me, is a waste of time.

Well, if you don't have an opposing theory, then don't bash ours. That's like not having candy but saying ours sucks. It's just a case of sour grapes (Aesop's fable). And well, humanity as a whole is inherently curious and we'd really like to know why the hell we're here today to talk about whatever we want to talk about. The magical nonexistent being with no origin hypothesis just doesn't work anymore.

EDIT: Oh by the way, if you want to read something that's mildly stupid and involves particle accelerators, CERN, religion, and science, go read Dan Brown's book "Angels and Demons". It's pretty good.

Xavier said:
Actually, not a fail. please know your stuff before you go posting links to things that dont prove your point.
So your saying Cell Theory doesnt exist?
Have you ever looked into a microscope?

A Theory, and a Scientific Theory are two different things.

Bloodl3tt3r said:

Also, anonymous, society has a tendency to take science terms and distort the meaning. So while those "dictionaries" you cited may be correct in that sense, from a scientific viewpoint, theory really means "A hypothesis that has been tested many many times and has not yet been proven false."

From what I understand what you two just said is the english language is wrong. I'm not to sure how you came up with those claims, or if thats "your" definition, if so, learn to english, but either way, a theory is not a fact. Thats a fact.

wow man, im not even going to comment on how messed up that was.

Blood and I said the same thing...

Evolution
Cells

are Scientific Theories, which is different from a normal theory in english, or every day life.

The term "Scientific Theory" is what is meant when someone says theory when they are referring to biological or other scientific fields.

The term Scientific Theory is NOT the same as putting the words science and theory together, it means something completely different than a normal theory... a normal theory is like a hypothesis.

A Scientific Theory to biology is the same as a Law in physics.

Im not going to argue with you, you can already see your wrong and are getting defensive about it (as seen in the post above).

So thats it, ttyl ppl /me remembers why he stopped posting here

Status
Not open for further replies.