Lhc

Status
Not open for further replies.
oddly enough very few if any real ammout of people believed the world was flat.

the salors werent afraid of falling off the edge, they were afraid that there wasnt anything out there and that they'd starve, get scurvy, get caught in a storm, sink etc.

wow, i gotta go asleep, ill chat to you guys tomorow...

OR WILL I?!1!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that nothing significant... Well, let me change that since scientists can justify passing gas as a significant discovery (somehow)

I'd say that nothing really useful will result from this project..
This whole "create a black hole" idea, and recreating something that never really happened, other than inside their mushy brains, is just a waste.

Like there's nothing else that could be improved right now?!?,
Instead of people playing space doctors trying to explain something that they fail to accept that they will never understand, they should focus on more substantial problems and try to fix that..

Coliders... whatever.
That was my 3 cents.

CPU64 said:
I would say that nothing significant... Well, let me change that since scientists can justify passing gas as a significant discovery (somehow)

I'd say that nothing really useful will result from this project..
This whole "create a black hole" idea, and recreating something that never really happened, other than inside their mushy brains, is just a waste.

Like there's nothing else that could be improved right now?!?,
Instead of people playing space doctors trying to explain something that they fail to accept that they will never understand, they should focus on more substantial problems and try to fix that..

Coliders... whatever.
That was my 3 cents.

Are you a Fundamentalist?

I mean, I won't bash you for your opinion (besides, your avatar's freaking AWESOME). But uh... it's science. It explains everything, and what hasn't been explained, will be eventually.

Fenix Chief said:
Just the whole thing freaks me out. I think it should be scrapped for safety.

What's the harm in two insanely tiny particles hitting each other at high speeds? It's basically a subatomic game of chicken in which neither side turns away.

No, I'm a realist..
I don't fall for these lame and far fetched space fairy tales. Nothing is really explained as a truth, they make up both their theories, and their answers.

I saw the press conference video about the colider, and the page long equation that explains everything in the universe. Not only is it a ridiculous equation, there are factors that haven't even been discovered yet..

I guess they might as well go ahead and fill in 42 for the answer.. ¬_¬

CPU64 said:
No, I'm a realist..
I don't fall for these lame and far fetched space fairy tales. Nothing is really explained as a truth, they make up both their theories, and their answers.

I saw the press conference video about the colider, and the page long equation that explains everything in the universe. Not only is it a ridiculous equation, there are factors that haven't even been discovered yet..

I guess they might as well go ahead and fill in 42 for the answer.. ¬_¬

Well, I will admit that the equation is probably bull. There's no way you can describe a universe on a single page.

Bloodl3tt3r said:
Well, I will admit that the equation is probably bull. There's no way you can describe a universe on a single page.
Dude--it wasn't an equation you saw. It was a super condensed computer code. People just still haven't realized that the world is a giant computer. Kinda like the matrix. And only the skilled ones can hack it.

~
sv_cheats 1
no clip

rvb4life said:
hey, nowadays, everything DOES cause cancer.
whats that smell? i....smell......SCIENCE!
i love that smell :)

Indeed. Everything does cause cancer. It's all a matter of dosage. BTW, cosmic ray collisions occur at energies FAR above what even the LHC is capable of producing. Food for thought.

Supercondensed computer code aside, I still think the probability of our living in a virtual world is very low. The Matrix was a godly movie series though

Bloodl3tt3r said:
Actually, science is damned sure that protons are made up of quarks, and there's a theory going on that quarks are held together with gluons.
I therorise that science will discover that quarks and gluons are made of even smaller particles called stickions and Lego-ons.

It's strange. I can follow all this, yet I'm failing (High School) Physics. I think it's because this stuff's interesting to me, and it's not all equations.

Actually, everything in the universe is held together by the atomic and subatomic particles that make up duct tape. And zip ties!

It's all just a bunch of hype by the doomsayers. That and the folks running the collider are hoping they can "convince" the government to help fund their "research" more. It's all about the benjamins boys and girls. Nothing substantial will come out of this except more theories with answers as CPU64 said.

Bloodl3tt3r said:
Supercondensed computer code aside, I still think the probability of our living in a virtual world is very low. The Matrix was a godly movie series though
actually the chances of us living in a virtual/copied world are extremely high, here's how:

there's only one original world, and there can be any number of copies of it therefore is statistically extremely likely that were living in a copy.

this is kinda along the lines of 'in an infinite universe there's infinite possibilities'. running along with that idea: there could be a master chief in another galaxy who just got stuck in the crotch by a plasma grenade thrown by a grunt who's talking about his friend 'flip yap'.

[/randomness]

You're talking about parallel universes. Theoretically, they are more than possible, they are very probable. Just read up on the string theory, the side-effects of it suggest that parallel worlds are more than likely to exist. All matter resonates on 21nm wavelength, but that's all matter WE know of. It may well be just the frequency of OUR dimension that resonates on 21nm, for all we know, it may not be the only frequency, there may be other, but seeing how our world, our "presence" resonates only on 21nm, we may not be able to detect any other frequency, however, that doesn't mean it 100% doesn't exist.

My hand officially went through my face about 2 pages ago.

In breaking news, the LHC (as the kids like to call it) just ate Google!

lhc.gif

Next up, it plans to eat Tokoyo, stay tuned, more at 11.

That's not a supercolider, MS has just commisioned google to build Halo!

But seriously this is what, the 3rd Hadron supercolider thread? Special thanks to Odessa and Ral for keeping everyone straight on the hard science and making it easy to understand.

Just wanted to toss in my two cents on one sort of off-topic thing. For folks who keep chucking around the word theory (non-scientists), it doesn't mean the same thing in everyday language as it does to a scientist. You think you understand a process behind something. You have an idea. You find a way to test it. You have a working hypothesis. Your hypothesis is proven correct ten thousand times over and more through experimentation and observation. You have a theory. It still may not be correct. It may not define everything exactly but you modify your ideas to what the data says.

My hand officially went through my face about 2 pages ago.

uhoh, you broke the higgs field.

[/bad+nerd joke]

i just watched that rap about the LHC on the tube. supprisingly funny while being educational. they did a pritty damn good job of explaning it.

Hey found a couple comics from PhD comics on the LHC. There will be 5 total running through it as an explanation. BTW- the author really is on site as he's doing these.

phd090808s.gif

phd090908s.gif

....bbbbbut the innernet said the black holes were going to eat our babies and I believed them!!!! The innernet lied to me! :eek:

exploding-earth.jpg

:whistle:

Not that the reports of recent months actually stirred up much opposition to the Large Hadron Collider - despite a certain hysteria that spread through blogs and disreputable outlets. But CERN’s safety committee has looked again at some silly people’s worry its collidings might trigger a planet-eating black hole right on this planet. Their first answer was no no no, now it’s more like no to the no-wayth power. Not only does theory say very firmly that any black holes spun from its collisions will promptly evaporate, but the reviewers calculated how many super cosmic rays are out there smashing about, whamming neutrons stars and other heavy objects. They duplicate a gazillion years worth of operation by an LHC on steroids - and with no discernible killer black hole spawn.

clicky

Status
Not open for further replies.