Life Size Gundam - Where is it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unity

Hello all!

As some of you may have seen before , for the 30th anniversary of Gundam they made a life size RX-78 Gundam in tokyo . I know that is was taken down in march , But I would like to know, Where is it now? In storage ? Its a shame that you cant visit it anymore .

lifesizegundam.jpg

You can find more pics of it here -

http://en.gigazine.net/index.php?/news/comments/20090718_odaiba_gundam/

Thanks!

Jacob

I thought I saw a picture somewhere of it standing but broken after the earthquake... I'll have to do some digging.

It was moved last year to Shizuoka City in central Japan. There was another company the built a 1/1 scale giant robot but i cant recall which anime it was from at the moment. There was also a Gundam 6-8ft-ish tall statue made last year and placed near a train station but again cant remember the location. Cool to see some Gundam fans at the 405th

Shizuoka didn't take any damage. Just some stuff falling off shelves. Gundam is intact.

In related news, a 1:1 Evangelion Unit 01 bust is under construction somewhere.

By the way, Polo, Yakk! Deculture!

Shizuoka didn't take any damage. Just some stuff falling off shelves. Gundam is intact.

In related news, a 1:1 Evangelion Unit 01 bust is under construction somewhere.

By the way, Polo, Yakk! Deculture!

Evangelion is defiantly a must see as far as anime history is concerned I just don't feel Its "the greatest anime of all time" as Geneon bills it with each re-re-release haha. The Gundam 1/1 is hands down the coolest so far IMO but 1/1 Eva will be cool to.

Deculture! Haha I need to meet a real life Sharron Apple!

Evangelion is defiantly a must see as far as anime history is concerned I just don't feel Its "the greatest anime of all time" as Geneon bills it with each re-re-release haha. The Gundam 1/1 is hands down the coolest so far IMO but 1/1 Eva will be cool to.

All this Gundam needs is a Beam Rifle and its title as Coolest Statue Ever. Of All Time is complete.

The 1:1 Eva is just a bust (unfortunately), because Unit 01 stands like three times as tall as a Gundam or something. And its fan following isn't as big :p

Sharon Apple: Rampant before Cortana made it cool

All this Gundam needs is a Beam Rifle and its title as Coolest Statue Ever. Of All Time is complete.

The 1:1 Eva is just a bust (unfortunately), because Unit 01 stands like three times as tall as a Gundam or something. And its fan following isn't as big :p

Sharon Apple: Rampant before Cortana made it cool

Woops a sizable fail on my part I meant Sheryl Nome haha. But thats to funny Apple vs Cortana

Bad news guys

a quote from the wikipedia

The 18-meter tall statue was reconstructed in Shizuoka Prefecture and was dismantled in March 2011.

:'( so much for a trip to japan lol

Just in case you haven'y seen these - they are getting pretty close to exactly that:

There are bunch of these out there (some featuring different "stars"). Just search "Vocaloid Luka" or "Vocaloid Miku" and go from there...

Last edited by a moderator:
Woops a sizable fail on my part I meant Sheryl Nome haha. But thats to funny Apple vs Cortana
Mmm, Sheryl.
Bad news guys

a quote from the wikipedia

:'( so much for a trip to japan lol
I call BS. I was pretty sure they kept it up. I know it was standing during the Sendai earthquake.

That said, if it really is down, then when they put it up again (and put it up, they will) it will be in an even more iconic location, facing up, with a shield and beam rifle in the signature pose:
rx-78-2.jpg

This would also be cool:
3-megasize-rx-78-2-gundam.jpg

DogWizard, I can't STAND Vocaloid and how popular it's become. Few people realize it's nothing more than a midi synthesizer, the likes of which have been around for around 20 years. The only thing special about it is the marketing gimmick of those Vocaloid-tans. A ton of fanart is literally all that makes it different. And it has SUCH a following.

DogWizard, I can't STAND Vocaloid and how popular it's become. Few people realize it's nothing more than a midi synthesizer, the likes of which have been around for around 20 years. The only thing special about it is the marketing gimmick of those Vocaloid-tans. A ton of fanart is literally all that makes it different. And it has SUCH a following.

Sorry you don't like it - like everything else, some will like it and some will not. It's not "a midi synthesizer, the likes of which have been around for around 20 years". Otherwise you would have had synthesized vocal performances/music like this cropping up for the last 20 years. That's like comparing a the Wright brothers plane to an F-22 fighter - yes, they are both technically airplanes designed to carry a human being through the air but...

The Vocaloid software is actually pretty impressive when you research what it actually does. It is essentially the audio equivalent of creating CGI humanoid characters. It samples the voice, tone, and timber of a vocal performer and applies that to whatever input you provide. You are not recording the audio track, you are using their voice as an instrument to create actual vocal music. This is so far beyond "Switched On Bach" as to make no comparison.

It has such a large following for a reason - so does rap "music". There are plenty of genres that I don't like and choose not to listen to, but to dismiss the applied technology in this case is a mistake in my opinion. I am far from a vocaloid "fan" - I just think that what they have done with the various technologies involved is incredibly interesting. It's the whole package - this IS the front-end of a "Sharon Apple-like" idol. Add in some AI and you are there...

It's seriously just a modified midi-synth. It's not much more complex than, say, Mario Paint Composer. It uses a set of sampled sounds in its own format of soundfont, that replicate the sounds of a singer on a scale. A more accurate comparison would be a 1985 Toyota Corolla to a 1992 Toyota Corolla. There were some improvements, modifications, and tweaking under the hood, but they run on the same set of principles, and even share the same engine, just in a slightly different configuration.

It's not even a text-to-speech system. Each sound is named for its phonic and note. When you compose, it finds the file that matches the lyric phonic and staff note, then applies it with a sampled loop to hold it out for the longer notes. It's the same principle for a conventional midi synthesizer. It finds the correct note of the correct instrument and puts it in place.

I mean, I wish I could say it was revolutionary at all, but, honestly, it just isn't. It's a midi synthesizer with somewhat unique soundfonts. I'm fairly certain it isn't even the first to have vocal soundfonts.

Now, if it generated the voices on its own (it uses samples of Japanese singers), I would be impressed. If it smoothed out the changes in pitch, as a real voice, I would be impressed. If it could articulate accurately, I would be impressed. Those would be on the track to a Sharon Apple. But all it does is beep like a midi synth, with the benefit of having vocal-like (vocaloid would be proper etymology) sounds, as opposed to The Legend of Zelda. That's old technology. Even current TTS programs are more advanced. I mean, they articulate.

The only reason this one succeeds is because of the characters associated with it. This isn't even the first release of the program. The current release is Vocaloid 2, and is 4 years old. The original failed to garner attention because it didn't have the characters or the "iconic" Miku voice.

I guess it could be worse. Could be autotuned S. Hawking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back