Lights!! Wiring setup, power source... GO!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went with clear petg, slightly sanded on the backside, plus a glob of hot glue. I like how it diffuses, but it's hard not to get little air bubbles in the hot glue.

I also did a battery+switch in each part of the suit so there are no exposed wires. Once my handler knew where my switches were it took no time to get the lights on. :)

Your progress is looking good. (y)

I went with clear petg, slightly sanded on the backside, plus a glob of hot glue. I like how it diffuses, but it's hard not to get little air bubbles in the hot glue.

I also did a battery+switch in each part of the suit so there are no exposed wires. Once my handler knew where my switches were it took no time to get the lights on. :)

Your progress is looking good. (y)

Thanks man! That's probably my hardeat decision right now. Yes the bottom lense I used the hot glue method and I like how it looks too. I'm just trying to make up my mind which way to power it. If I run cables to each limb, I think I could sew them into the armor strapping to hide them and keep in place, but on the flip side, power in each piece is pretty simple and once the lights are on its not like they'll get turned off until the suit comes off. No real real to have on one switch other than initial startup cool factor. Thanks for the advice man!

Here are some quick pro cons

Individual Battery Packs
- Use 2 or 3 AA battery pack
- Will run 2 LEDs for a few days of use
- Less complicated, so if anything fails, the rest of the suit will still work.

Central power bank
- Use a rechargeable portable cell charger.
- Wire each LED group to a 3 foot USB cable
- You may need a helper to tuck / ziptie the cables to your suit when you wear it the first time / everytime.

Good work so far!!

Central power bank
- Use a rechargeable portable cell charger.
- Wire each LED group to a 3 foot USB cable
- You may need a helper to tuck / ziptie the cables to your suit when you wear it the first time / everytime.

When I go trooping I take two powerbanks with me (one 8000mAh, one 20000mAh) and the smaller one can run the ~30 LEDs, Arduino board, addressable LED ring and two fans for about four hours before overheating and tripping it's protection circuit. The larger one I've had run for a full eight hour day of trooping and have never run out with it.

JST inline connectors are awesome here. It's small and simple to connect and "snaps" in so there's no chance of popping free. Each limb gets it's own wire that plugs into the core.

Always use the buddy system if you're somewhere unfamiliar, out drinking or putting on bulky costumes.

When I go trooping I take two powerbanks with me (one 8000mAh, one 20000mAh) and the smaller one can run the ~30 LEDs, Arduino board, addressable LED ring and two fans for about four hours before overheating and tripping it's protection circuit. The larger one I've had run for a full eight hour day of trooping and have never run out with it.

JST inline connectors are awesome here. It's small and simple to connect and "snaps" in so there's no chance of popping free. Each limb gets it's own wire that plugs into the core.

Always use the buddy system if you're somewhere unfamiliar, out drinking or putting on bulky costumes.

Thanks TurboCharizard I think this is the route I am going to go. I'm good at wiring, and do it for my career and in other hobbies as well so I should be able to pull this off pretty well. I really like the idea of a fully "energized" suit at the flick of a switch. I'm also considering an audio system as well but that's a topic for another conversation down the road. I have some of those jst connectors in my shopping cart so I think I'm going with that method. Also I'm going to try to run the cables in line with my suit strapping to hide and also support them but of course leave slack inside the armor piece so the cable doesn't get tugged. Im going to keep my helmet circuit separate, in fact I just did a really quick fan wire up last night with what I had laying in my junk box and slim servo plugs for quick detach. I actually like where I located my fan switch as its easy to swipe forward with my left thumb as I put the helmet on. Man now its like having AC in my helmet. The lights will be on their own switch of course once I order everything in. I also found some super cool led mounting lenses that will thread through the helmet. I think they will be very cool and also project the light forward to actually illuminate a dark room. I'll post my results with those once I have them.
IMG-20190131-WA0002.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back