Looking For Some Criticism

Status
Not open for further replies.
WetOkole said:
You know when I started out, I used Danni's file and that was my first time using Bondo for anything and I couldn't think of a way to get those ridges, but after I started work on my own armor and also a few more helmets, that is actually what I do now. Before I would use about 7 layers of building up and sanding down but now its like 2 layers and I am done.

Yeah this helped me out a lot, I tried and it is working amazingly! It has so much detail, and its just turning out great! Droodles, I owe you my life lol! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm I was just thinking over the weekend about the tape method. Works very well.

Draw it first. Tape around the line where you don't want the bondo. Apply bondo on the line and onto the tape then peel off the tape when the bondo just first begins to set. The edge it leaves is a lot rougher but it gives you a place to start and usually a nice clean line right near the base of the bondo.

n639865721_4482163_3011.jpg

I did this today with tape. It's rough but now I can add more to smooth it out. Sorry about the lighting but it shows the roughness the best.
Humungotron said:
I do something similar... I'll draw out the line I want, then run 3/4" tape against it, then go over it again with 2". That way, when the bondo starts to kick off, i can just pull the tape line and have a little trim work/sanding to do. If you pull the tape down and away from your line, it leaves a little overhang, which i'll then shave off with a pocket knife or x-acto blade.

Nice helmet, btw.

only thing I see possibly wrong with it is that the lip that runs along the side of the brow section tapers as it goes back to the rear, above the cheek box. see this. The spot right above where the visor ends. As for the ridges, the look pretty spot on, but the lower half moon section may be a little large, IMO. Then again, the insert hasn't been molded in yet.

As for the half moon here's about what it's at right now. Thanks for the input. It helps. Keep it coming.
n639865721_4482221_2127.jpg

n639865721_4482222_2337.jpg

I hope this is somewhere close.
Reason for edit: Couldn't help myself. Had to add to inadequate post.

OMG!! This is surely going to be one of the best helmets on the forums, if you keep working on it.
Amazing job, keep on track, and keep us posted!

-FSS

New progress. I got bored of working on the details at the back so I moved up to the front. As always feel free to criticize.

n639865721_4506146_7465.jpg

n639865721_4506147_7749.jpg

wow that started as a low def model? AMAZING!
some of the best modification and smoothing I've seen, excellent work!

you got awesome bondo skills haha

Jax Archillies said:
i hate you.

which pep file did you use? it doesn't look at all like the FS HD i used.

It's the DF4L model. I chose it because I was just starting out with the whole pepakura method. Did a tester first then the DF4L. Besides, after looking at the FS model I don't think I could have modified it to this extent so I'm somewhat happy that I used this one. However, there are several amazing aspects of the FS models that I wish were on on this one. Just personal preference I guess and how much work you want to put into it. BTW here's some photo's of what I did today on the back details.

n639865721_4515184_2957.jpg

n639865721_4515186_3171.jpg

You can see that the back section is warped but I've got plans for it. It'll be fixed I guaranty that.

droodles said:
Ya you guys are right I did it without edge ids because there's so many small folds on this. I just kept pepakura open and used it as reference like MandoMan531. Thanks for the input. I'm hoping to get the time to fiberglass it today then.
I've done that before, but only because my printer wouldn't print the Edge IDs, XD

But it's looking really good man, nice job! I can tell this is going to be another exceptional helmet, and an exceptional set of armor if you plan on going all the way! :D

Well I guess I might as well give everyone an update. I've been working on parts all over this thing lately. Some you may not be able to notice but others are apparent. I'm quite fussy when it comes to projects so things have to be just right. As always please add your input about flaws or whatever. The more eyes analyzing it the better. Anyways on with the pictures.

n639865721_4570145_6448.jpg

Today I added the two details under the cheek from the in-game model. However, I'm a little confused because they don't show in the "A Starry Night" advert. I have a poster up on my wall I reference off and they don't appear to be on the helmet. Any input?

n639865721_4570146_6669.jpg

You can see I've done both inserts that cover up part of the moon shaped area. They are identical (or as close as I could get). I made a stencil to form them so they are exactly the same shape and size.

n639865721_4570147_6893.jpg

I've also been doing a lot of work to the fins and top of the beak. It is pretty close to the in game model. I had to do some dremeling into the fiberglass to get some of this right.

RadioactiV777 said:
Are you going to mold this?

Good question. I am definitely considering molding this helmet. Firstly, I wouldn't mind having a solid one material helmet as opposed to fiberglass with tons of bondo which may potentially chip off. Secondly, Some of my friends would like to reap the benefits of my work and have their own. However, I'm Canadian and I wouldn't know where to get supplies and I don't really see the point in making a mold just to create one helmet for myself. That being said, if there is interest here at the 405th for a pull of this helmet send me a PM or any useful tips for products in Canada. It may just sway my mind. Also, if I did make a mold I won't be in it for money. I know how hard it is for guys to go onto these boards and see something you want but can't afford so I feel for ya guys. I'm going to be sculpting a Predator Bio for my friend after this project which will need molding so this may be a good place to get some practice.

Well, this is kinda expensive to mold, but
www.smoothon.com
You can order it from Canada.
I'm sure you would get plenty of interest, the helmet is coming out beautiful.
I know that your helmet will be right up there with Spase, Doc's, and BlueRealm's.

Droodles as RadioactiV777 said Smooth-on is the way to go. I had the same intention for making a youth scale helmet mold that I am selling copies for $40. You will have to get 'Rebound 25' which is a brush on silicone rubber. I purchased the 1 gallon kit which was more than enough to make two different molds but I figured I would use the rest for something. After you get the silicone on then you make an outer shell that will support the silicone during the pour. I used Hydrocal. Depending on what you do on the bottom opening then you may be able to pull the helmet out of the silicone without a split line. The Rebound 25 really streaches. Then it is just a matter of pouring the plastic in and figuring out how to best cast the helmet. If you want more detailed information send me an email and we can discuss. You can also search youtube for smooth-on and watch those tutorials. They are great.

Also, I couldn't post without saying your bondo work is right on and I found working with the bondo during curing is the way to go. I also did a few very fine details on my master model in clay and I was able to sculpt really easily. It makes it easier to work on than with the bondo. Great Job!

Bamabat

Hey Droodle, it's amazing!

For the smooth-on products, there's a shop over here or in Ontario.

Mind sharing which sander you use? Gotta go check my CanadianTire again! :p

LastSpartan said:
Hey Droodle, it's amazing!

For the smooth-on products, there's a shop over here or in Ontario.

Mind sharing which sander you use? Gotta go check my CanadianTire again! :p

Ya I've been e-mailing the Canadian suppliers for Rebound 25 but they all want to much. I priced it out and it would actually be cheaper to order from the web-site and have it delivered across the border. Figure that out. I'm still waiting on a couple businesses so we'll see what the end result is. As for a sander. None. No power tools (except the dremel to eat into the fiberglass in certain areas).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back