LukeTrocitys Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
0323080125xf7.jpg

This took me forever. Tell me what you guys think. I left out the nose piece because I read somewhere that its easier to resin separately. If I could do it all again, theres some things that I would have done differently. I'm considering not using Bondo at all, because I've seen others that have just resin--->sand--->paint and it came out great. If I do bondo though, maybe you guys could tell me where to start. Criticism from anyone who has made armor is always welcome.

You did an extremely nice job making this. No defects that i can see, it has really nice symetry. Good job and good luck with the rest of it.

LukeTrocity said:
This took me forever. Tell me what you guys think. I left out the nose piece because I read somewhere that its easier to resin separately.
Very nicely done! Maybe I should have done the same regarding the nose piece not because it's easier to resin but rather to accomodate the face shield more easily.

LukeTrocity said:
If I could do it all again, theres some things that I would have done differently. I'm considering not using Bondo at all, because I've seen others that have just resin--->sand--->paint and it came out great. If I do bondo though, maybe you guys could tell me where to start. Criticism from anyone who has made armor is always welcome.
With an FS helmet, you can probably get away with just resin and no bondo. Just make sure that you coat with enough layers to cover up the creases and flaps. Just make sure that you don't skip fiberglassing the inside of the helmet. Resin alone will not provide enough strength to withstand the bumps it will receive during use. Even one layer will go a long way.

I also recommend rondo instead of bondo. It spreads very easily with more control than resin alone. It dries with a very smooth finish and very easy to sand down.

P.S. Hey, we use the same kind of box cutter. LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Lookin' good there, Luke!

The only thing I would point out is that the brim (don't worry; this seems to be a fairly common problem area for most) is a little bit "off" on the underside. Not quite level.

I can't recall who, but I saw someone use a metal ruler and tape it to the underside of the brim to straighten it out. Worked really well for them. You'll probably want to do the same.

You're definately going about this a helluva lot easier than I did with your choice of Pep file for the helmet. I used an older HALO 2 model and have been adding in all of the details myself, lol.

Of course, I ended up getting started on mine just before a lot of these HD files were made available, and I was far enough along with it I didn't want to start all over again, heh.

I look forward to seeing you resin/fiberglass this. Keep it coming, dude! ;)

great job man!

Now, skip back 2 games and try the MK V helmet :p

FS made a great job on his new helmet, dont let him down!

SPARTAN II said:
Lookin' good there, Luke!

The only thing I would point out is that the brim (don't worry; this seems to be a fairly common problem area for most) is a little bit "off" on the underside. Not quite level.

I can't recall who, but I saw someone use a metal ruler and tape it to the underside of the brim to straighten it out. Worked really well for them. You'll probably want to do the same.

You're definately going about this a helluva lot easier than I did with your choice of Pep file for the helmet. I used an older HALO 2 model and have been adding in all of the details myself, lol.

Of course, I ended up getting started on mine just before a lot of these HD files were made available, and I was far enough along with it I didn't want to start all over again, heh.

I look forward to seeing you resin/fiberglass this. Keep it coming, dude! ;)
If I were to leave it as it is, would it make it impossible to fit a visor in? When you say fix it, what do you mean exactly. I guess I don't understand what needs to be flattened.

Also anyone know where you can find a brim template for the details?

idonutn0 said:
Very nice work. What was the scale you did it at?
Heres my notes I did on it...HA

scale: 27.1

Assembled size: 28.5

To big...

Try 2

Assembled size 28.2

Honestly, Luke... I don't see a whole helluva lot wrong with that helmet. Whatever there may be that's a little bit "off" and not quite to your liking, I'd agree you needn't try to work them all out.

Hell, I had what I thought were a few glaring flaws on my own Mk VI, but as others pointed out once I have it all finished, along with the rest of the armour, no one's likely to notice any slight variations in symmetry and what not.

I'd say, work with what you have there, and it'll come out looking pretty damn good, dude.

The only thing I'd suggest with where you're at with it, is once the resin/fiberglass has hardened, sand down those sharp fold lines in the base Pep model to get a more game-accurate, smooth texture to it.

Other than that, I like where this is going... :)

LukeTrocity said:
What shade of blue did you use for this one? I like it. Reminds me of the reference pics of the different perms, with a steel primary color and cobalt blue as secondary.

EDIT: I'm curious. The bondo still looks rough and you're already putting the color paint on it? o_O

LukeTrocity said:
Now I just need to wait for both the visors I got from ebay. I ordered one from 2 different companys, which turned out to be a mistake because one shipped the next day, and the other wont even email me back. :(
Thats why I'm not a big fan of ebay, it's like playing russian roulette with your money.
I always check their feedback rating and read all the negative feedbacks given to them and then go from there. Works for me all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back