M90A Close Assault Weapon System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potshot

Jr Member
Well, I'm making a shotgun, in case you didn't already figure that out.

I pepped the entire thing the other day, except I left a few spots open so I could strengthen them later on.

Anyway, I decided to fill the entire gun with "Great Stuff" spray foam insulation. It's basically an expanding foam that hardens into a rigid...thing. It would out much better than I expected. The gun is very solid, much stronger than if I had fiberglassed it. It will definately keep it's shape during the resin/bondo process. I probably should have resined the outside first, to help it keep it's shape if the foam expanded to much, but it worked out fine anyway. I highly reccomend this to anyone else looking to strengthen their weapons.

I hope to put on a few coats of resin tomorrow, as long as it doesn't snow. Then I'll paint it after I finish pepping my EOD armor.

IMG_1173.jpg

This is when the curing process is about 1/3 done. I put too much foam in, so it's sort of expanding and pushing through all the holes I left open. No big deal, I'll just cut off the excess foam.

IMG_1174.jpg

Yeah, you see what I mean about how much it expands. That gun was packed REALLY tight with the foam. Good thing I did a good job pepping it, or it would been ripped apart.

IMG_1182-Copy.jpg

Gives you kinda a size comparison...yeah, not really.

IMG_1175-Copy.jpg

I plan on putting a flashlight in the gun later, this is the one I'm using. You can also see how much the trigger guard filled up. It got kind of balloonish, but I fixed it since I took this pic.

IMG_1193.jpg

Yeah, the light again.

Here's a few more pics of it once it finished curing. I think these do it a bit more justice.

IMG_1197.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

Please give me feedback on how I can improve and whatnot. I'll update with some pics of the gun with all the little pieces attached when I get to it.

Well as I think you see it is a little curved at the end. I you have to redo to fix that since I'm not sure to fix it. If you do start over you should place in a wood dowel rod to help keep it straight. Also get the Great Stuff that doesn't expand so much. That might help keep it straight.

Good start though. Keep working hard on it!

Nice pep. It looks pretty cool so far. Although the foam seems to have warped the gun a bit, it seems like an interesting way of making a gun. Using resin before the foam sounds like a solid idea. Keep up the good work man. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

JediStumpy said:
Well as I think you see it is a little curved at the end. I you have to redo to fix that since I'm not sure to fix it. If you do start over you should place in a wood dowel rod to help keep it straight. Also get the Great Stuff that doesn't expand so much. That might help keep it straight.

Good start though. Keep working hard on it!

I can't really understand your first couple sentences. But the top part isn't actually attached to the gun yet. I can still move it into place with my hand and just hot glue it there. As far as I can tell, there is very minimal warping that can't be fixed with a bit of glue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I but all the little parts together, so now the Shotgun is completely ready for resin. Only problem is, the weather. I'll try to resin it next weekend if the weather cooperates. In the mean time, here's some pics.

IMG_1198.jpg

A full view of everything.

IMG_1199.jpg

Just a pic of the trigger guard.

looks good but i have a question...how are you gonna shoot if you got no trigger? ;) now talking serious this seems like a good methoed to do pep weapons, may try to do some like this if i find that thingy you filled it up with.

Haha paul you never cease to amaze, but your not gonna use bondo for detail? your just gonna go straight to detail, ill pick up some when I pick up the resin for my carbine and armor pieces, also I dont know if you got my emails, but my grandpa who is a professional with this stuff is coming to my house in a few weeks, he has done some big things with fiberglass and materials in such a manner. For instance the doves in Gwen Stefani's great escape, the vampire/bats in Van Helsing, as well as Brom Stokers Dracula. Yeah hes gonna show me how to apply fiberglass the "right way" or so he says...

Anyway yeah great shotgun guy, when I first saw it on wednesday it looked like crap to be honest haha, looks much improved now, yeah my carbine is just slightly crooked so ill just adjust before I fill with the foam.

f0xtr0t09 said:
Haha paul you never cease to amaze, but your not gonna use bondo for detail? your just gonna go straight to detail, ill pick up some when I pick up the resin for my carbine and armor pieces, also I dont know if you got my emails, but my grandpa who is a professional with this stuff is coming to my house in a few weeks, he has done some big things with fiberglass and materials in such a manner. For instance the doves in Gwen Stefani's great escape, the vampire/bats in Van Helsing, as well as Brom Stokers Dracula. Yeah hes gonna show me how to apply fiberglass the "right way" or so he says...

Anyway yeah great shotgun guy, when I first saw it on wednesday it looked like crap to be honest haha, looks much improved now, yeah my carbine is just slightly crooked so ill just adjust before I fill with the foam.

Thanks, and yes, I'm going to probably use a $#!Tload of bondo.

And the foam will probably work great. My suggestion is to do it in sections. So fill up one part, and then when it hardens, do another part, and so on.

For me, there was one part that was really crooked, but the foam kinda straightened it out on it's own. Of course it screwed up a bunch of other parts.

S1l3nt V1p3r said:
I just... No.

The idea is good, just poorly executed. That's all.

How so?

Also, this is only my second pep, and my first weapon, so I thought it cam out nicely considering.

Potshot said:
How so?

Also, this is only my second pep, and my first weapon, so I thought it cam out nicely considering.

Since the foam expanded and had no more room to expand, the walls of the shotgun burst and blew up. So yeah, next time you should be a little more scarce on the foam, and fill the weapon several times with small dosages. And use resin to reinforce the walls before you fill it with foam.

S1l3nt V1p3r said:
Since the foam expanded and had no more room to expand, the walls of the shotgun burst and blew up. So yeah, next time you should be a little more scarce on the foam, and fill the weapon several times with small dosages. And use resin to reinforce the walls before you fill it with foam.

None of the walls burst though... The spots where the foam is leaking are the holes I deliberately left open to spray the foam in.

I know what I need to improve on next time, but it still turned out fine this time around. At least, the foam didn't mess up too much.

agreed, but I believe multiple coats of resin, as well as small and I mean small dosages of the foam would be enough, try experimenting with the stuff before using it in the weapon, but otherwise Im looking forward to seeing it on wednesday and by then I shall have my carbine resined and filled so we can compare, someone who has done 2 peps and someone who has showed you half the stuff you know, and has done over 10 (half unsuccessfully just to be fair) haha

f0xtr0t09 said:
agreed, but I believe multiple coats of resin, as well as small and I mean small dosages of the foam would be enough, try experimenting with the stuff before using it in the weapon, but otherwise Im looking forward to seeing it on wednesday and by then I shall have my carbine resined and filled so we can compare, someone who has done 2 peps and someone who has showed you half the stuff you know, and has done over 10 (half unsuccessfully just to be fair) haha

Actually, in total I've made one EOD helm hd, 1 eod shoulder hd, 1 left bicep hd, 1 low def starter forearm, 1 ld handplate, 3 hd handplates, 1 nd frag grenade, and 1 shotgun.

Which adds up to 10...as long as we're talking numbers. ;)

anyway, maybe I'll resin it tomorrow afternoon..hopefully I'll have good enough weather.

S1l3nt V1p3r said:
I just... No.

The idea is good, just poorly executed. That's all.

Viper, Don't be so harsh. E-peen and so forth, now that you have a little competition.

There is some slight warping, but that can be fixed. I've seen much worse thing than this in the noob forum.

Keep up the good work man. Looks pretty sweet so far! :)

smilie120 said:
Viper, Don't be so harsh. E-peen and so forth, now that you have a little competition.

There is some slight warping, but that can be fixed. I've seen much worse thing than this in the noob forum.

Keep up the good work man. Looks pretty sweet so far! :)

Thanks a bunch.

Speaking of the noob forum, is it possible to get your thread moved out of it by a mod, once you reach Vet status, or do I have to just keep the thread in here? I'm only asking because threads in the noob forum tend to get shoved down because of all the useless topics.

Also, the weather worked out great. I'm going to go throw a coat of resin on the gun, and then I'll post some pics.

I think that the barrel being slightly bent is what makes it really noticeable. Just putting an idea out here, but you could try cutting off the barrel and putting a wood dowel rod. The pump handle turned out great, and the rest of the model is looking good.

Kuch1k1 said:
I think that the barrel being slightly bent is what makes it really noticeable. Just putting an idea out here, but you could try cutting off the barrel and putting a wood dowel rod. The pump handle turned out great, and the rest of the model is looking good.

I posted pics in post #5 with the barrel fixed.

it was still a bit lopsided, I mean you fixed it for the most part, but where you are going to put that flashlight, also paul, for every so called "useless topic" to you is a "useful topic" to someone else, and lastly the topic isnt mean to stand the test of time, if you want it to be kept active, just keep working on your project and make updates often and the topic wont die easily, after you are finished with the shotgun and put up your final updates, the topic will get washed away like most, unless you bump to promote your topic just to show off how awesome your project is in which case you are arrogant!

By the way folks the only reason I feel I can speak this way to this specific member is because I have worked with him and known him for a long time, and I know how he gets haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back