Making a suit for paintball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmakiej07

I've nevr done this before never even made an MC armor set, i have no idea where to start, what to use, i was hoping someone could guide me to making a MC Suit for paintball, i saw the other thread only it wasnt to helpful, so some advice would be awesome.

hmm...well if your gonna use it in a game of paintball then your gonna want to make it real tuff. if you go for cardboard then you going to nedd to use something over that. i would use a resin or fiberglass paper.

k where do i buy the stuff ill need, i was think ill buy some paintball gear, and just try to make it look like MC armor, butim for a lack of better words not that inteligent sooo lol i needed help with how to do so, i mean with fiber glass paper how would i make the helmet look MC like with a pb mask and the fiber glass paper, never used the stuff

IT is almost impossible to make Spartan armor that will stand up to paintball, im pretty sure Seans, Adams, or anyone elses high quality "Tough" armor can even take a shot out of a custom tippman 98, or anyother ones. Most of the mods already said that it is impossible unless you use medal, witch would be 1) HOT 2) HEAVY and 3) gonna be hard to build. Hope that helps.

-leadingspartan.

hmm sounds like i have a challenge in front of me lol, medal hmmm, time to talk to my boys in medal fab and machine haha im just a simple plumber =/ pipe A conects to pipe B lol

okay
so if you buy your own gear it will be way more easy. it just depends on how much you are willing to put into it.
if you making it out of cardboard then you could just glue the pieces to the paintball stuff, resin it, then spraypaint it.
but if you you want to nake it look realy good then i dont know what to tell you.

if your going to use it paintaballing then i think cardboard would do the trick. just get a bunch of cardboard boxes and cut out each piece to your bodies muessurements. i guess i would just hot glue the cardboard pieces to you paintball stuff. and to make the armor way tuffer i would use resin. it costs about $30 at a home depot. just use that on top of your armor and your good to go.
i think it should cost you about $50 outside of your paintball stuff.

so yea, i just added you to my friends so you can ask me all the questions you want. you can add me.

OK, so you make your MC armor and and pack it out to the paintball field and get into it, looking 'bad ass', as you put it and go out in the field... and get taken out as three shots leave their mark on your armor, two on your chest plate and one, leaving a streak across your shoulder, one that wouldn't have broke if it had clipped a soft sleeve. After a couple more early exits one of the more veteran players suggests you ditch the armor and you may last longer in the next game, you do and survive almost to the end of the game, but one on the hopper ends your game.
The point of the above is to explain that paintballs and hard surfaces don't get along well at all. While you may look cool in MC armor, the guys on the other team just you as a 'dude that's making himself an easy kill'. The key to lasting out on the field, outside of not getting hit, is minimizing the numbers of hard surfaces the balls have to break on. It would be interesting if everyone was in armor then you'd have to determine what hit was classed as a 'killing shot' but everyone would be on the same level. :)

Leadingspartan said:
IT is almost impossible to make Spartan armor that will stand up to paintball, im pretty sure Seans, Adams, or anyone elses high quality "Tough" armor can even take a shot out of a custom tippman 98, or anyother ones. Most of the mods already said that it is impossible unless you use medal, witch would be 1) HOT 2) HEAVY and 3) gonna be hard to build. Hope that helps.

-leadingspartan.

not true there ar many ways to have armor that stands up to painball, Almost all of them however involve casting your armor. Many plastics are hard enough and light enough to make you concept work including but not limited to Tak 15 (what my armor is made from). However as for actually playing paintball in the armor I suggest still wearing goggles (as the lenses are the main problem) and to only wear the armor if everyone is (as you will move slower and be a bigger target)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cmakiej07 said:
that is my goal..i wanna look bad ass while i play
It's gonna break on you when you use it for paintball, this isnt armor armor it's costuming armor, not for real impact or laying on and hiding.

ok if you really want paintball armor you have to make molded armor. period. youl need to sculpt the armor, make a pold, and use a 2 part plastic. and then resin and fiberglass cloth and whatever else you can use to make it strong. im sure it can be used for paintball, because i saw it on tv. did anyone watch the halo 3 premier special on sept 24th? the day befor halo 3? they showed nightmare studios make a chest plate, and then it cut to a bunch of spartians in the woods "battle testing" there armor with paintball. one dude in red armor even took down a sapling tree on accident. it was awesome. but my point is molded armor will stand up to paintball if you have $1000+

Has anyone Answering this person's question made armor? If no don't read on....
If you have did you test it against the riggers of paintball? If yes and it failed, couldn't you make it sronger, there are methods for that you know.

My helm would take a paintball shot easy... I would never do that, but its plenty tough enough to withstand a shot from paintball... I droped it yesterday from waist height onto the concrete in my garage... not a bit of damage as far as i can tell...

Also, while answering no to a question, that doesn't require that you treat the question like it was stupid, or like that person asking is an idiot... its getting old seeing people get flamed...

The answer you are seaking is contained in the following as can allready be read in several replies.... Yes its possible to make MC armor for paintball use, but is it practical... not really from a costume creation stand point. But it would be cool to be the chief while playing, sure... don't be jealous of the paintball playing MC...

Well actually LS, NAS armor, which is made in a similar fashion as Adam's, Sean's, and any other molded armor is actually battle tested in Paintball. But lets look on a physical level.

Paintballs are made of gelatin and water-soluble paint, which is very low density, Plastic is a polymer, a very strong one, and with 7 layers of plastic, it gets pretty freaking hard. Also the visors are tough as well, they were meant to protect your eyes from bugs... moving over 60 MPH.

Also, Fiberglass is about as hard as plastic, so it will take a hit easily.

Just make sure the armor is hard as rock. But make sure it is light so you can wear it.

Spase said:
Has anyone Answering this person's question made armor? If no don't read on....
If you have did you test it against the riggers of paintball? If yes and it failed, couldn't you make it sronger, there are methods for that you know.

My helm would take a paintball shot easy... I would never do that, but its plenty tough enough to withstand a shot from paintball... I droped it yesterday from waist height onto the concrete in my garage... not a bit of damage as far as i can tell...

Also, while answering no to a question, that doesn't require that you treat the question like it was stupid, or like that person asking is an idiot... its getting old seeing people get flamed...

The answer you are seaking is contained in the following as can allready be read in several replies.... Yes its possible to make MC armor for paintball use, but is it practical... not really from a costume creation stand point. But it would be cool to be the chief while playing, sure... don't be jealous of the paintball playing MC...
I wouldn't be jealous of player in MC armor, quite the opposite, I'd welcome them with open arms. If I saw anyone in MC armor on the field, that person would bet my full attention since I'd have a much better chance of taking him out than every other player on the field since that player is covered in hard surfaces, any paintball hit will berak, ending his time in that game. Go ahead, wear hard armor on the field, the guys on the other side welcome you.
Be it known, I'm not calling anyone stupid or an idiot I'm just pointing out that wearing hard armor on the paintball field is not a good idea, and it don't matter if it's MC, Stormtrooper or USCM armor. Hard armor in paintball is asking for short games, that's all.

Do whatever you want but

DO NO RELY ON THE VISOR TO PROTECT YOUR EYES, USE PROPER EYE PROTECTION. WEAR THE GOOGLES INSIDE THE HELMET AND EITHER FIND A WAY TO MOUNT THE VISOR TO THE GOGGLES OR USE NO VISOR AT ALL.

MOTORCYCLE SHIELDS WILL SPALL, SENDING SMALL PLASTIC SHARDS INTO YOUR EYES.

you'd probably be best off doing a marine and wearing a mask, or ODST, as they've both got less hard surfaces for the paint balls to splatter on.BUT, if you do wear chief or ODST Armour, for God's sake, WEAR GOGGLES UNDERNEATH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back