Marine Armor Landfall Ver Update 6/24 ( There Is No Pep File, Cous It's Scratch Built )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Specops616 said:
HA~~~HA~~~~HA~~~~~HA ( Evil Laugh )
Hummmmmm
U will see in a few days :)

The real problem for me will be the neck soft armor part.... That's sth i need to figure out

Peace

R

Great work on the armor, I love it
I have a suggestion for the neck soft armor part
maybe using a self skinning polyurethane foam
or cast the skin in a soft to medium hard urethane
then add a soft urethane foam.

Just an idea Keep up the great work

Spartan 648

Last edited by a moderator:
Spartan648 said:
Great work on the armor, I love it
I have a suggestion for the neck soft armor part
maybe using a self skinning polyurethane foam
or cast the skin in a soft to medium hard urethane
then add a soft urethane foam.

Just an idea Keep up the great work

Spartan 648

Hi Spartan 648

Thanks for the suggestion :)
The only reason why I used the OD Fabric cover for the foam is because that's what they usd in the WETA armor.
I am trying to replicate the WETA Marine.
The foam and fabric casing is the hardest part I have encountered so far.
For self skinning foam, you need a mould to cast it. It will not work with out a mould.

PS, with out the fabric cover, the neck armor will not look like the movie version. unless I made an original sculpt and put some fake sewed seams. ( That will take a long long time to do )

This neck piece actually took me around 4 hours to do from cutting foam to fabric cover

Just in case, these are 2 reference pics of what I am trying to replicate

Do you have any progress shots of your collar build? And what kind of foam did you use?

Your whole build so far looks fantastic, but that collar is way cool. I dig tall collars.

Skullcandy Girl said:
Pretty f'in cool Space :) I like the look of the soft collar, I dunno why. It just looks Boss :) Are you going to D*Con?

Dragon Con? LOL too far for me ( I have way too many people that wanna drag my Axx down there, hahahahaha ) I don't go to many cons, too much trouble and way too lazy ( though I have so many costumes ) Maybe Anime Expo or sth like that which is closer for me.... Then I might go..... But I am not too sure if I can finish the armor before that either. I think it's more like NO WAY I will finish it even if I work on the Marine day and nite LOL.

You know what I reallllllly wanna make..... WETA ODST.... That will be a dream armor. The helmet is a pain to make. Amor should not be that bad. It is the helmet that's pulling me back from that project. Anyone wanna donate a ready made ones? ha

I also want a CQB, OVA and Scout helmet too :) Any one wanna sell me one hahahahahahahaha. Gotta love them helmets.

Peace R

Several of the menmbers have asked me about the materials,
Here are some of the answers to your questions

1)The foam padding under the marine armor what material did you use to encase the padding?
A. For the collar armor casing, it is an OD canvas type material that I picked up at JoAnn, a local craft anf fabric store

2) Do you have any progress shots of your collar build? And what kind of foam did you use?
A. Oops sorry, I did not take any progress pix.... It was a hand full just to make that piece of you know wut. LOL.
The foam in the collar is an 1 inch thick furniture foam, which you can pick up in your local fabric or fixture material stores. And as of always, E-Bay

FYI, the WETA armor was actually held together by some kind of chest rig inside ( if you look closely you will see it from the side. For me, I used an airsoft chest rig that I picked up for cheap. )

3) Where did you get your nylon webbing from?
A. Webbing, buckle etc, you can find them in you local fabric or surplus store. The best and cheapest place is always E-Bay.

As of the main armor ( which several of you have asked me ). It is mostly made of
Gator board, fiber glass and jelly, bondo, putty... blah blah blah....Plus lots of time and sanding.....

The black soft parts are made with neoprene and black craft foam.

Elbow pad was modified from Hatch Tactical elbow pad.... ( The WETA version has one big elastic band, it looks great, but will not stay on you elbow as well as the regular 2 band elbow pad.... That's why I stayed with the regular 2 bad. One disadvantage though.... It has way too many straps on my arm).

FYI #2, Any thing you can't find in your local store, or if they are way too expensive ( which is always the case ), you can always or almost always find them on E-Bay with better pricing.

FYI#3, Remember this name..... BARGE..... This this a costumer's best friend. ( Barge is a type of glue )

Hope these info helps

Peace R

AH I get ya Space. I only do one con a year. They can be overwhelming and sometimes annoying, and they can get expensive. Well I hope ya do make an ODST :D Much much skill!!!

Oh and your the second person that has recommended Barge, heheh so I'm gonna snap some up this weekend. Got some elastic straps and hand plates that need to be attached :D

Specops616 said:
FYI#3, Remember this name..... BARGE..... This this a costumer's best friend. ( Barge is a type of glue )

Adam Savage agrees:

My favorite brand is Barge glue; it's particularly tenacious. In the MythBusters episode "Escape From Alcatraz," we tried to verify whether three prisoners could have actually made a successful jail break from the Rock in 1962 in a raft made of stolen raincoats. We took large squares of latex material from 24 raincoats and assembled them into a 13 1/2-ft. triangular pontoon raft with a floor. Each seam got a coat of Barge glue, which we cured with a blow-dryer and then pounded together with a mallet for strength. The raft held air long enough for the 51-minute, 3-mile journey from Alcatraz to the Golden Gate Bridge, but the prisoners' fate remains unknown.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/re...841.html?page=3

I need to get some of this Barge stuff. I've always just used DAP Contact Cement.. with mixed results.

17338.JPG

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(bsx2zcbg...urce=GoogleBase

Thanks for the tip Specops.. I think I'll pick some up this weekend too. ;)

For Barge....

Don't get the samll tube, it is way too expensive
You will need a quart if you want to make any costume or armor.
here is a link

https://ssl.perfora.net/lawardrobesupplies....ts/prodList.asp

It is very hard to get the quart size with out a license, normally they will require you to show a copy of the license when you buy any thing that's bigger then the tube.

Western Costume do not.... Which is GREAT ( cous they are a online )!!!! Also they take Paypal, which is even better

Quart Barge also come with a brush inside which is so easy to use....

Be sure to put glue on both side, let dry for 15 minutes, it will look like the glue is dried up, but that's how it is suppose to be.

Make sure all the corners have the glue, if you do not have the glue pasted on the edge or corners, the parts will eventually come off from the corners, then the parts will come appart.

When 2 parts comes together, make sure u press them hard to make them bond.

If you need any help, drop me a message or we can talk on msn or phone, just pm me ur info.

R

Spartan 051 said:
Looks like your giving adam and spase a run for there money

Have you tried it on yet?

Yes I have....
And it fits me well.
Actually the arm looks just like the WETA pictures, every thing is cramped together. lol

And as of now, the project has to stop for a few days.
Was working on my back plate, and ......
I just cut my thumb reallllllll bad, blood all over the place, my whole working station looked like... U know wut i mean. It need some deep cleaning
It's about as deep as 1/4 into my thumb, it could be worse tho

Watch out when u make armor... ur cutter can really cut u BAD.....
Well, this is not the first time for me anyways

happens all the time, it's just this time the damage is baaaaad

Ouch

link4044 said:
you should check out my arms and legs....always cut up got scares like crazy

LOL, at least we still have them attached to us.....
Until one day we lose one of them.....
Then that will be bad, but maybe then we can dress up as a battle damaged, injured MC or Marine ( wut a stupid thought )

But really, people out there, watch out, those blades cut ur projects, armor, or wut ever but it might as well cut u too

Specops616 said:
Hi
Well....the foam for the collar is not hard to make at all, I have that part done long time ago.... It is the OD color cover on it that's the hard partt. Cutting off a life vest is ok, but the shape will be not the same at all.

As of buckle and strap, your local fabric store should have them, even surplus stores. U can fiand alot of stuff u can use on your costumes at your local surplus store.

Oh E-Bay is also another good source for ur straps and buckles.

As of BDU, the closest I can find is the Retro BDU. I am sure and old used woodland BDU should work too, but the color is not as brown. Hope these helps

R

First off EXCELLENT JOB!! You have out done yourself and everyone here. You hard work and sacrifice have paid off into a work of art and a job well done.

Thanks for the PM and, as you can tell in the quote, I have found the answer I was looking for. I will check my local places today and see what the have. Should be fun. :D

You just keep on coming! I can't wait to see the helmet you make!

Any chance you'd be willing to give me the measurements you're using?

This is one of my favourite projects on the site at the moment. keep it up, its awesome :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back