Mark I Iron Man helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darthcalibar said:
Its looking really good! Do you plan on doing something to it to try and give the surface a rough metal texture? Keep up the good work!
I actually prefer using bondo in the cold. It gives you lot longer to work with it and its a bit less mushy. That way you can shape it more.
Thanks Darthcalibar :) Not too sure what I'm going to do with the finish, at the moment I'm investigating some hammered paints, maybe see if that'll give a convincing effect. For the weld lines I'm just shaping them with the dremel... they don't look 100% accurate but I think it'll do

That's one of the few advantages to working in the cold :D I had to do some work on another mask and I was able to sculpt with the cold bondo, made the shaping soo much easier :)

Here's some more pics:
th_IMG_1405.jpg th_IMG_1403.jpg th_IMG_1402.jpg
I've almost finished the front now, not sure if you can tell but I've actually added about an inch to the length of the face, right below the weld. I was also thinking of adding a half inch or so to the width of the face but after going to see the movie again last week I think I might leave it as is.
Just need to finish the welds, tidy up the left eye and mouth holes and then fill a few small holes... should be done with the front pretty soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Belakor said:
Thanks Darthcalibar :) Not too sure what I'm going to do with the finish, at the moment I'm investigating some hammered paints, maybe see if that'll give a convincing effect. For the weld lines I'm just shaping them with the dremel... they don't look 100% accurate but I think it'll do

That's one of the few advantages to working in the cold :D I had to do some work on another mask and I was able to sculpt with the cold bondo, made the shaping soo much easier :)
Here's some more pics:
th_IMG_1405.jpg th_IMG_1403.jpg th_IMG_1402.jpg
I've almost finished the front now, not sure if you can tell but I've actually added about an inch to the length of the face, right below the weld. I was also thinking of adding a half inch or so to the width of the face but after going to see the movie again last week I think I might leave it as is.
Just need to finish the welds, tidy up the left eye and mouth holes and then fill a few small holes... should be done with the front pretty soon.

sweet, can see its really starting to take shape now, you should just saw or break some heads off of screws, (ya know the screws that you use with a drill lol) and then just glue them on to make it look like its helfd together by screws and bolts, just an idea keep us updated

EDIT : you making a whole suit also?, would be easier than the red and gold suit

Zenzeigan said:
sweet, can see its really starting to take shape now, you should just saw or break some heads off of screws, (ya know the screws that you use with a drill lol) and then just glue them on to make it look like its helfd together by screws and bolts, just an idea keep us updated

EDIT : you making a whole suit also?, would be easier than the red and gold suit
I like the idea of having screws to make it look like they're holding it together, for this one though I'll be going with as close to screen accurate as possible... you've got me thinking about a custom version now :p

At the moment I'm only doing the helmet, I'll almost certainly do the rest of the suit but for now I'm just doing small things like helmets for display/my portfolio... in some ways I actually think the Mk II or III suit would e easier than the I, at least if you wanted to do an accurate version, there's all the cogs and motors and that other stuff on the Mk I that would be pretty difficult to replicate (It would give me the opportunity to build a couple of flamethrowers though ;))

Skullcandy Girl said:
OMG XD Amazing! :D
Glad you like it SKG :)

SpArtan-270 said:
Dude thats awesome! (y)
Thanks SpArtan :)

Lo_techStark said:
Thats Killer! Are you going for the whole suit or just the helm? Either or can't wait to see it done.

At this stage it'll just be the helmet, once I finish the ODST and Spartan I'll look at doing the full suit. I also want to do a few other Iron Man helmets, Mk II, III, some comic versions etc :)

Not much progress today, I need to get some wet and dry sandpaper and some paints to finish it off... after that it should be done, well, the front at least. I'm probably going to leave the back for a week or two, got a couple of other projects to finish up in the meantime ;)

Bumping for an update :)

Got some hammered finish paint today... damn expensive stuff though, $32 a can
This is just the base silver hammered paint, I'll do additional coats of other silvers and some washes later on and I've only done the top for now... I want to smooth out the welds more and reshape the mouth holes... again
th_P5230010.jpg th_P5230008.jpg th_P5230009.jpg
You can see some dents I added to the top and the eyes are rough like that on purpose ;)
There aren't many good shots of the left side but I did find this really good one for the right side :)
th_MK1.jpg

Belakor said:
Only quality, New Zealand made products here :D Outsourcing would speed things up though... too bad I can't afford to pay people to do my work for me :p
Well, if we buy kiwi, we've got it made! Dang that ad annoys me. Pretty good song though.
Um, but um, are you gonna want that helmet? Cos if you don't, the shipping won't cost that much, and I'd be happy to take it off your hands.

That is seriously.......................

AWSOME AWSOME AWSOME!!! that is so cool!

I guess the paint paid of ;)

I cant wait to see it after it's 100%done :D make it like darker silver, or almost black like the pic.

helios said:
Well, if we buy kiwi, we've got it made! Dang that ad annoys me. Pretty good song though.
Um, but um, are you gonna want that helmet? Cos if you don't, the shipping won't cost that much, and I'd be happy to take it off your hands.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of that ad either :p
I think I'm going to hang on to this one ;) But if another one of my Iron Man projects go according to plan I might end up making a few copies of the Mk I helmet...

centerside said:
That is seriously.......................
AWSOME AWSOME AWSOME!!! that is so cool!

I guess the paint paid of ;)

I cant wait to see it after it's 100%done :D make it like darker silver, or almost black like the pic.
Yeah, the paint has certainly paid for itself... I've used way less than I thought so I'll have heaps for other projects and I don't think there would have been any other way to get the same effect.

Here's some pics of the first black wash:
th_P5240002.jpg th_P5240003.jpg th_P5240005.jpg th_P5240008.jpg

and some more of it after I removed most of the wash:
th_IMG_1434.jpg th_IMG_1436.jpg th_IMG_1437.jpg th_IMG_1442.jpg

I finally found the bit I needed so now I can go out and fix up the mouth holes, then it's just a matter of repainting the mouth and messing around with more washes and drybrushing.

Oh My Gosh. That looks eerily like it's metal. If I hadn't seen the progress from start to finish, then I'd be asking:
OMG iz dat da metalz??/?

helios said:
Oh My Gosh. That looks eerily like it's metal. If I hadn't seen the progress from start to finish, then I'd be asking:
OMG iz dat da metalz??/?
I'm actually really surprised at how well the hammered paint works, it looks crap to begin with but with a bit of work it looks pretty nice... I've actually started using the paint on some other metal looking pieces :D

About three hours and 4-5 washes later and I think the front is done:
th_IMG_1449.jpg th_IMG_1448.jpg th_IMG_1450.jpg
I still want to tidy up the inside of the front with some bondo and I need to glue in two rare earth magnets that I'll use to keep the font and back together (need to figure out a hinge system as well)
I've gone for a more subdued finish, rather than the shinier screen-used finish. There's quite a lot of detail that you can't see in the pics, like the bubbled surface around the dents that I added with a blowtorch and the pitted surface on the right that was caused by holes in the bondo... the dents look much better in person too.

Next week I'll be finishing another Iron Man prop that I started earlier, I'll post more about that once I'm done and then I'll get to work on the back of this one :)

When did you build a forge, Belakor? ;) That looks freekin amazing! If you hadn't show the progress pics, you could completely convince me that it was steel.

Loess said:
When did you build a forge, Belakor? ;) That looks freekin amazing! If you hadn't show the progress pics, you could completely convince me that it was steel.

cant wait to see this,

how big is it in height by the way?

and the weight if possible :)

Looks sweet, now you need to put it on, kick your front door open and stomp around spraying people with fire

That looks fantastic! When if ever do you sleep, eat, work, anything else?! It seems like you're pumping out something new on a daily basis.

Loess said:
I wish I knew more about building something like this out of metal, having it look like metal is cool but having one that actually is metal would be awesome :D ... then again, I'd probably want to do the full suit in metal and that would drive me mad :p

Zenzeigan said:
cant wait to see this,
how big is it in height by the way?
and the weight if possible :)
Height is roughly 28cm and weight is 540 grams or 1.03 pounds

NZ-TK said:
Looks sweet, now you need to put it on, kick your front door open and stomp around spraying people with fire
How did you know what my next update was going to be? :p ... I need to get work at Weta, they're bound to have pyrotechnitions that'll help me build a couple of flamethrowers and let me go around hosing things with fire :D

link4044 said:
looking awesome :p
Thanks Link :)

tlither said:
That looks fantastic! When if ever do you sleep, eat, work, anything else?! It seems like you're pumping out something new on a daily basis.
Sleep? what is this sleep you speak of? :p Basically this is all I really do, at least for the next few months... I'm constantly looking for new things to do that I can add to the portfolio. It's pretty boring at the moment, just has the Recon and half finished MJOLNIR.

Here's some more pics of it under natural lighting:
th_IMG_1460.jpg th_IMG_1462.jpg th_IMG_1463.jpg th_IMG_1464.jpg

and here's that template:
th_SCAN0004.jpg
It's not the greatest but it's a good starting point. the height of the helmet, between the "start of the dome" line and the bottom of the face should be about 20cm

Belakor said:
I wish I knew more about building something like this out of metal, having it look like metal is cool but having one that actually is metal would be awesome :D ... then again, I'd probably want to do the full suit in metal and that would drive me mad :p
Ok youre awesome but youre not Tony Stark!
:p

Looks really cool Belakor, cant wait to see the rest!

Keegan said:
Ok youre awesome but youre not Tony Stark!
:p
Looks really cool Belakor, cant wait to see the rest!
I'm not? not even if I legally change my name? damn :p
Thanks Keegan :)

Here's a couple of pics of the front on display on the wall :)
th_IMG_1486.jpg th_IMG_1491.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back