Foam Mark IV foam build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting out working through the chest pieces. It's slow work but it's going well so far
15682359443856034794710807512732.jpg

Good luck! You're already doing better than I did on my first build by using the templates xD

Keep it up! I'm still debating on whether or not I want to use foam for my next build, and first full build. Good luck, I'll keep watching your progress

Starting out working through the chest pieces. It's slow work but it's going well so farView attachment 277757
Good luck on the foam
Build. Look into 3D printing. Properly cutting foam is tough if you’re very new to it. Watch some bevel cutting videos on YouTube about it. Otherwise I’d recommend 3D printing. Prints while you’re away at work, which is great. Sanding is a pain sometimes, but it’s only sanding. There is also Phil Shinner’s method of two krylon spray paints that make it so you barely have to sand at all

Good luck on the foam
Build. Look into 3D printing. Properly cutting foam is tough if you’re very new to it. Watch some bevel cutting videos on YouTube about it. Otherwise I’d recommend 3D printing. Prints while you’re away at work, which is great. Sanding is a pain sometimes, but it’s only sanding. There is also Phil Shinner’s method of two krylon spray paints that make it so you barely have to sand at all
I'd love to eventually get into 3D printing but I need a computer that doesn't hate me first. Once I get some money saved up that'll be the route I go.

Go 3D print. I’ve ran with it and haven’t looked back. My armor looks cray nowadays
I never even really explored that method, but now that you mention, I'll check it out more.

I was planning on a pep build for Helioskrill, then the whole fiberglass resin thing for the helmet.

3D printing of course has a few dollar ‘entry fee’ in the printer itself, but some aren’t that bad. Depending where you are you can get an Ender 3 for <$300. It’s what I use and it makes some really good prints.
If you stick with the foam path, get someone to print you a foam knife handle. They have built in bevels for ‘perfect’ 45* cuts. Makes the seams really nice. Can’t find an example right now, but they exist!

15683655123447083219584293138434.jpg
This is what happens when you:
A.) Run out of foam
B.) Get off early on night shift
C.) Sleep deprived
D.) All of the above
Side note: it is a nice way to check to see if your scale is working before cutting.

I never even really explored that method, but now that you mention, I'll check it out more.

I was planning on a pep build for Helioskrill, then the whole fiberglass resin thing for the helmet.
Foam, 3D printing and pepakura all excel at different areas as far as armour is concerned. In a foam suit I can freely climb all over stuff, roll on the ground, do whatever and not worry about anything exploding. It will have a shorter on average lifespan than the other two methods.

I baby my 3D printed armour by comparison, all of which has extra reinforcement and resin coatings. A lot of 3D printed armour is designed for aesthetic, not for physical strength of parts so I don't trust a shin/knee to not crumple if I kneel or take a knee too quickly. The good thing though is that printed parts can be considered repair by replace and just make a new one when things go wrong.

Foam, 3D printing and pepakura all excel at different areas as far as armour is concerned. In a foam suit I can freely climb all over stuff, roll on the ground, do whatever and not worry about anything exploding. It will have a shorter on average lifespan than the other two methods.

I baby my 3D printed armour by comparison, all of which has extra reinforcement and resin coatings. A lot of 3D printed armour is designed for aesthetic, not for physical strength of parts so I don't trust a shin/knee to not crumple if I kneel or take a knee too quickly. The good thing though is that printed parts can be considered repair by replace and just make a new one when things go wrong.

Or you can mix up what parts are made from which material. If, as TurboCharizard says, you kneel down, like when you take a picture w/ a small child, you could always make the knees out of foam if even if the rest of you build is 3D or Pep.....there is no law that says "You must us the prescribed method of building and forum approved material on all parts of armor and props". We don't roll like that.

Or you can mix up what parts are made from which material. If, as TurboCharizard says, you kneel down, like when you take a picture w/ a small child, you could always make the knees out of foam if even if the rest of you build is 3D or Pep.....there is no law that says "You must us the prescribed method of building and forum approved material on all parts of armor and props". We don't roll like that.
Yep! Even mix and match on individual armour pieces! As long as it looks good and works!
CapturePhilly.PNGSPARTAN S068.jpg

Thank you both for the info! I never really thought about mixing up what method each piece was made with, but I'll definitely keep all of this in mind.

And sorry to partially hijack the thread there

Completely agree on the mixing it up. I was originally going to go full 3D printed on my suit upgrades, but for flexibility I'm thinking of shifting to foam for legs and primarily 3D printed on the upper body. Taking it on a part by part basis for these decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back