Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• It belongs in the garbage!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone you are all looking at my Master Chief helmet i started over 2 years ago, started the begining of october, while i was foolishly trying to make my suit in time for halloween, never happened, so i decided to save it for next year! Bad idea, bad storm came threw and i forgot to bring in my suit, about an 80% loss, so im restarting on the project first by finishin the helmet. A lil background, started off by peping the helmet, and fiberglassing the inside, resined the outside, and now finishing with bondo detailing the outside, i still have approx.... 10-25 percent more detailing and painting to complete it so have a look. I will get some more pics after i smooth out some of the ole girl's rough spots if you know what i mean!!!!!!! ;) (SIDE NOTE) Id like to give thanks to ROBOGENESIS, for his pepdesign, not sure if he unfolded or modeled it but thanks anyway.

very nice work! hmmm, the weather gods arent usually nasty to gamers :) too bad that happened to you. but! it's looking like a good comeback so far! keep us updated.

and welcome to the forums! sorta... welcome to forum posting at least :D!

yep that really does suck man thats y im goin to resin and bondo in my garage. u also might want to edit the topic u put MK 4 not a MK 6 which is ur helm hope everything comes out good ur second time around man

spartan-005 said:
yep that really does suck man thats y im goin to resin and bondo in my garage. u also might want to edit the topic u put MK 4 not a MK 6 which is ur helm hope everything comes out good ur second time around man

Thanks Spartan-005, i almost did a little false advertising there lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
My heart goes out to you for your loss....bad things happen to good people, but at least your old new helmet(or would that be your new old helmet) is looking like it coming along just fine.

Some more progress pics, using a different type of "material" for the detailing, it really sculpts quite well and drys rock hard, im not sure how it compares to clay though.

whats that in the back ground?

Yup its ODST!

My secret weapon, was dental model mix, it sculpts really well when in between wet and hard, youhave about 5-10 mins (depending on consistancy) to work with, then it gets rock hard and sanding gets very physical, so for additonal detail and finishing i have gone with drywall plaster, and it has been workin pretty good for me.

Romeo3144 said:
how do you detail after fiberglasing and resining. Im maki ng a mark VI

You use BONDO Car Body Filler, or just use an HD helmet and add other detials with paper.

Romeo3144 said:
how do you detail after fiberglasing and resining. Im maki ng a mark VI

well you can use bondo, which is what i started out with, but then i decided to expirement with other materials, i found that for a light coat to smooth out any imperfections you can go with some drywall spackle (about $5-10 bucks depending on the size) see the attachment below, also to build up a good mass of bondo usually takes alot of layering and sanding to get it to the proper height, i tried using dental model mix ( see attachment also costs about $30-40 bucks for a 25ilb bag) and i have been able to get the proportions and depth desired, on the first try! no additional layering required and it hardens pretty good, but there is always a downside, you only have about 5 mins or so to slice away any excess build-up, then it hardens and you'll have to dremel, dremel, and dremel some more. hope this helps!

the side details, that loo drawn in, are you going to make them with foamies or cardboard, so that they stand out more? and for color, use Krylon, Itillan Olive.(sorry for spelling). it is master cheif color.

Adam Anderson said:
the side details, that loo drawn in, are you going to make them with foamies or cardboard, so that they stand out more? and for color, use Krylon, Itillan Olive.(sorry for spelling). it is master cheif color.

i was trying to dremel them in but thats was coming along so good, i think i will use the foam(styrene?)!

Chris.M said:
i was trying to dremel them in but thats was coming along so good, i think i will use the foam(styrene?)!

yeah they will both work. ithica has a tutorial posted in the video section on using them, you could check that out.

Hey everyone, i have'nt had any time during the hoildays and my birthday to start any work on my helemt. Here is some recent progress ( its minimal but its something!)

i started on the area around the lights, started to build a nice level of plaster for the edge, just need to go back and fill and sharpen. The way i got the proper height was to cut out a nice thick peice of cardboard, duct-taped it all over (so it wouldnt stick to the material) and hot glued it to the helmet surface, then applied a couple layers of plaster,sculpted and sanded down to the cardboard and the peel off the cardboard. I left one side undo in the pics, so you can see what im talking about!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back