Master Chief and ODST march at Relay For Life to fight cancer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Bradley

Sr Member
This weekend Magnum and I participated in the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life walkathon in Quarryville, PA... in full Halo armor!

Every year my parents participate in the walkathon fundraiser (my mother is a breast cancer survivor, and my father quit cigarettes after smoking for 60 years). I was looking for some way that I could use my abilities and interests to show support for their cause... I thought it would be a thrill to see fully armored Halo characters walking alongside the survivors and other fund raisers in their yearly relay event!

In order to display some UNSC solidarity, I thought it would be cool to have Master Chief marching alongside an ODST. Matt and I have been working on a costume for him every weekend for the last month or so. I finished it up and did the painting/strapping right before the event so he could join me. Matt made the armor choices and color combinations and helped out with the reinforcement and painting, but he really paid his dues marching in nearly 100 degree heat at the event and suffering through a full photo shoot afterward!

So we did some laps, goofed around with kids, chatted with all the other participants.. it was a really great time! I want to encourage all the 405th'ers with the means and ability to go out and participate in these charity events. Join a cause, help out at a fundraiser, and make some kids smile.. it's great PR for our hobby and feels really gratifying too.

So without any further fanfare, here's the pics:

DSC07639.jpg

DSC07645.jpg

DSC07651.jpg

DSC07648.jpg

DSC07685.jpg

DSC07700.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

Here's a link to the full gallery: http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/ScaryMonkey75/Relay for Life 2010/

BTW, if anyone wants to see the results of the photo shoot of Matt's ODST we did after, I'll be posting some pics in Halo Universe in a few minutes.

And as always, many thanks to Matt, Adam, Tim Lucas (for the ODST med tag decals) and all the 405th for their never ending enthusiasm and support. You guys all rock!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing these! They are keeping me motivated and inspired to continue with my suit.
BTW: Looks like you guys had lots of FUN. I'm hoping to do similar excursions after mines built.

Cheers!

Thanks guys! I'm glad you like the pics!

It sure was hot, but it was all worth knowing that we were contributing to a great cause.

BTW, I spoke with my folks about this, their group raised $16,000 for the American Cancer Society!!!

I'm so glad to hear you guys were able to find a charitable use for your armor. Great work! Pics look good and you guys look good in your armor.

Thanks guys! I'm glad you like the pics!

It sure was hot, but it was all worth knowing that we were contributing to a great cause.

BTW, I spoke with my folks about this, their group raised $16,000 for the American Cancer Society!!!
wow,16,000! good job helping out a good cause.:)

Oh now that's just epic. You know, all the major conventions I volunteer for are charity events. And there's a bunch of superhero costuming groups that do charity work dressed up. Surprised more cosplayers haven't jumped at the idea. You guys do the UNSC proud. Hope you (and others!) make a tradition of it! ^_~

Nice, Man!

Nice, man! I've done Relay for Life before, in Atchison, KS, because my aunt is a survivor, so my grandparents are really active with Relay for Life now. I didn't know it was possible to admire and respect you more than I already did, but, I do!

That is awsome Sean! I am a part of my communitys relay event each year. Although I dont wear my armor (Which I should try!) I do magic shows for birthday parties and other ocassions and give the money to relay. Its good to see some 405th be a part in that!

wow, lucky for you sean you have a friend that has an armor. in my neighborhood im the only one who's making an armor :)) nice work though

I've done Relay since being asked to present the flags at the 2001 opening with a few guys from my unit (Army). A couple of years ago, I even did it in my Darth Vader. Everyone loved the fact that I made my lightsaber pink for the occasion too. I got cheers from others when I lit it after dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back