Master Chief Progress, Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks awesome! You have excellent foam skills! my only thought on this suit is to perhaps find a way to size the chest down slightly as it is very large on you and same with the butt plate. otherwise this suit looks awesome!

Those foam skills are crazy, doing a really good job with those details, but that chest piece is looking a little too big on you is there a way to make it snug your body a bit more also I used some magnets on my chest and chest piece to help hold it center.

Those foam skills are crazy, doing a really good job with those details, but that chest piece is looking a little too big on you is there a way to make it snug your body a bit more also I used some magnets on my chest and chest piece to help hold it center.
I definitely want to make it more snug, though I'm at an impasse on how to proceed.

I've added on a lot of details already so I'd like to avoid starting over completely or cutting into it too much.

I'm probably going to bulk out the inside with some soft foam, and maybe some more velcro/magic tape to hold it against the body armour underneath.

As for the scale.... the best I can think of at the moment is to see which sections can be carved away, aren't visible, and improve the fit

Any thoughts?

Looks awesome! You have excellent foam skills! my only thought on this suit is to perhaps find a way to size the chest down slightly as it is very large on you and same with the butt plate. otherwise this suit looks awesome!

Definitely reducing the butt plate size, that's an easy one.

Any thoughts on scaling down the body pieces?

It's a tough one to think about since any alterations may have to be applied to the chest front, back and jets, to keep the scale matching.
I'd rather not start again or cut into all the details.

In hindsight, really should have tested the fit much much earlier.

if I were you I wouldn't want to rebuild the body armor. that's a lot of work. maybe try scaling up the thighs to better balance it out?
if the underarm straps are simple enough you could slice a cm or 2 out of each side. if you have a band saw you might be able to get away with cutting it in quadrants and taking out a a cm from each seam... I've never done that though and im just speculating.. ahh. just be careful.
adding padding foam to the inside of the torso would keep it from wobbleing around wile you wear it too.

I dont think it looks too big compared to arms but the leg armor looks a bit small compared to it (could just be the camera angle though)

if I were you I wouldn't want to rebuild the body armor. that's a lot of work. maybe try scaling up the thighs to better balance it out?
if the underarm straps are simple enough you could slice a cm or 2 out of each side. if you have a band saw you might be able to get away with cutting it in quadrants and taking out a a cm from each seam... I've never done that though and im just speculating.. ahh. just be careful.
adding padding foam to the inside of the torso would keep it from wobbleing around wile you wear it too.

I dont think it looks too big compared to arms but the leg armor looks a bit small compared to it (could just be the camera angle though)
Attacking the underarm straps is the first thing I'll tackle I think. I can slightly reduce the size and tighten up the fit by taking off about 5cm both sides and replace the velcro/magic tape further in. I had that much extra room and it doesn't look like it'll affect the appearance.

No band saw unfortunately, just my trusty craft blade.

A rough test with some padding in the lower back did help push the whole torso into the right position, need to test more for wobble resistance :D

I did actually scale the legs down slightly as they were huge and didn't fit well. I may be able to bulk out a thigh piece with padding too.
I don't know about the camera angle, but the torso was definitely in hte wrong position and should've been tilted forward a bit more.

I definitely want to make it more snug, though I'm at an impasse on how to proceed.

I've added on a lot of details already so I'd like to avoid starting over completely or cutting into it too much.

I'm probably going to bulk out the inside with some soft foam, and maybe some more velcro/magic tape to hold it against the body armour underneath.

As for the scale.... the best I can think of at the moment is to see which sections can be carved away, aren't visible, and improve the fit

Any thoughts?
Is there a way to heat the sides of the chest and back to hug your body some more, might just need to cut the side pieces smaller to fit the gap after the process but that may be an option.

No pics this time, though I have proceeded to trim away the under arm sections of the torso. Having reattached the velcro/magic tape straps I can happily say that the torso already feels a lot more secure. The fit is a lot more snug and it doesn't shift around as much if at all. Since the only the lower section of the torso has changed the top probably still looks a little oversized, but at least it looks and feels less... box like...

I'm now just waiting on the next pay check to buy a packaging foam sheet to bulk out some parts, it'll also hopefully make some pieces more comfortable with the added, unintended, benefit of hiding the mess of glue. Though it's going to be an experiment with which adhesive works best on that kind of foam.

Does this make my butt look big? :lol:

So a very quick pic of the butt plate after it got trimmed a bit. If you compare it to the first pics you can see that I trimmed in from the sides, removing the "emboss" edge so it now sits a little flatter. I also cut out the lower detail and sliced out a strip above it to glue it back in.
Overall it actually went quite well I think. I still managed to keep the velcro/magic tape straps in the same place which was a bit of a worry.

I did throw on the body armour suit to check the fit while wearing suspenders/braces on the trousers to keep them up. You can see that the back of the body armour extends down over the butt plate. I have the option of slipping it under the butt plate but it puts some stress on the velcro/magic tape and foam. I used to try and tuck it down the back of the trousers, but with hte suspenders/braces attached, it makes it more difficult.

DSC_0949.JPG
DSC_0947.JPG

Just got some packing foam and I can say that out of the 3 glues I have tested: Super Glue, Hot Glue, and Contact Adhesive, none seem any better than the other.
The biggest difference would be that the hot glue and super glue seem a bit less flexible than the contact adhesive, but contact adhesive almost feels like it could peel off depending on the stress against it. I would say that super glue is more likely to tear away from the packing foam side as the liquid seeps in deeper.

I started this build 2 years ago and I'm getting to the point that I'd like to see it finished. After sorting out bulking out the thighs with some of the packing foam I think I'll get started on the sealing, priming and painting.
With how much progress I've made I don't have any way to scale down the torso anymore than I have.
I have managed to sort out a visor with a scrap of acrylic that I heat shaped to fit inside the helmet.

I still haven't started the damned boots.

In hindsight, had I know that this ↓
640px-H4_Mark_VI_3d_model.jpg

Is pretty much the only reference image for the armour, I would have chosen a different one to recreate. I can't find any higher resolution image to check the colouring and detailing before I coat the whole thing in green paint.

For the most part I'm probably going to wing it, though I've found a couple of similar armour pieces with different textures I might draw on.

Apprently black is quite sliming
DSC_0964.JPG

Now to masking tape off what is meant to stay black and hope it works.

I'm using a spray paint from Poly-props in the UK from their Hex range (HexFlex, HexArt, etc) it is really nice for foam and isn't cracking or flaking at all.
I wanted to avoid spray paints as I have no where to do it safely, however the paint on primer/sealer was really bad for streaks, brush lines and tack, so I grabbed a 1m³ box from the trash. sealed it up with plastic windows and oven filter vents, hand holes/flaps for access and got to spraying. The box contains everything except the intense smell.

The problem I've got to consider is that the finish is kind of similar to I guess, latex or rubber. So I have to getting the timing perfect between spray painting and peeling off the masking tape, otherwise it starts peeling away some of the fresh paint too.

.....and I ran out of spray paint

Started on some less prominent pieces and got the ideal time of first light coat, wait 4mins, then second heavy coat, wait 4mins, before taking the tape off. The company recommends 10-15mins between coats but any longer and the paint just peels away across a large area.

There are some spots that the tape has peeled off the under coats which will need touching up.

The green is "Olive Green" apparently but seems a lot more vibrant than expected. I'll finish the pieces in the same green but I think it will all need some TLC with other paints to tone down the saturation.

Right, first stage of spray painting is finished, and I have a lot of cleaning to do. Fortunately between a fan and open window the majority of excess spray has stayed in concentrated areas. Mostly.

So with the spraying done you can see that the green is a more vibrant colour than Master Chief's armour. I have bought some better Olive Green acrylic paint but it's going to take a while to coat over each piece and add some details in grey/silver. I am trying to imagine how to maximize the paint coverage.

With the limited drying time I did manage to avoid too much of the green paint peeling away with the masking tape, however the tape unfortunately pulled away the priming layer underneath more frequently than I would have liked.

DSC_0973.JPG

Though the dark sections look dark green they are just black, bar a little that stuck inside the pieces.

Ok, finally got round to starting the detail painting. And immediately I find that the olive green paint is many shades darker than the tube indicated it was. So it is certainly toning down the vibrancy.

After a day or two of letting it sit I feel it doesn't look as bad as I originally thought, the darker colour gives the green more depth and a look of wear. I have picked up some "Green Gold" paint, it can just been seen at the side of the image, just so I can try and combine some with the olive green so there are more green tones.

I'd appreciate thoughts on the colour so far

DSC_10003.JPG

This is going to wreck my arms, I don't do any brush strokes from here on out. All paint application is through dabbing the brush so it's more random and rough, and no stroke lines.

Well, here we are. The painting is finished, or at least at a point I am happy with it. I could be adding little details all over the place for weeks to come so I'm telling myself to stop.

I have also attached the visor piece into the helmet. It doesn't sit inside perfectly, but that actually leaves a decent gap at the bottom for airflow. I can imagine getting very hot weaing everything.
I don't think I mentioned before about the visor. It is home made from scrap plastic sheeting, heat formed into shape, and the gold is just reflective window sheeting. Unfortuantely the window sheet doesn't bend well and looks odd, but I think I can play it off as battle damage.

My final step is to first get some sort of bodysuit with an open face as I don't have any neck piece to seal between the torso and helmet. And it will be a good underlayer for the motorcross armour.
And also I need a decent sealer for the acrylic paints so they're less prone to scratching off. I have been looking at Liquitex matt varnish to brush on. I can't use spray paints here, not again...

So I would appreciate advice if anyone has go to suppliers/shops, UK if possible.

DSC_1017.JPG
DSC_1020.JPG
DSC_1022.JPG

DSC_1018.JPG
DSC_1019.JPG

Next stop. A fully dressed photo. Maybe with a foam assault rifle if I can get round to making one.
Some sites say the rifle is between 800-1000mm long o_O

It has been some time since the last update. Took a little break and built up motivation for the final pieces. Namely the Rifle and boot covers.
I've unfortunately run out for the green spray paint to colour the boot covers when they're finished, but I'm thinking about mixing a few shades of green to give them a dirty look. That's if I have enough primer to go on the foam.

I have been working hard on the rifle and finished the construction in pretty good time. It still needs filling, smoothing and painting, but I am very pleased with the construction.
It was assembled with a 10mm PVC pipe core, and layers of foam building up the base and details. I did wing it a little on the details as you know trying to make sense of a 2d texture isn't always easy.

DSC_0952.JPG
DSC_0954.JPG
DSC_0y001.JPG

DSC_0y003.JPG

I'm still not sure how much I want to fill in little gaps as it some places I think it adds to the constructed appearance. I can't deny I'm still not quite happy with the grip things towards the front. I might go in again with the knife and dremel and coat myself in dust yet again.

Hot DAMN, you'd give Spidermonkey60 and smelms a run for their money with your craftsmanship here my friend. I was curious, do you have an airbrush at all? Your color of choice is fantastic; and I imagine if you hit your high ridge and low ridges with complementing shades/hues you could make some amazing layering that brings that suit to the next level. Spider in the past has designed some really beautiful 4/5 under suits all out of foam. Reach out to him and he would absolutely be a resource for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back