Masterchief not in halo movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

AoBfrost

Well he is, but he isnt the main character, he is just a extra supporting character. Heres what Joe Staten from bungie says:

...over time I think everybody around the table agreed that the Master Chief is best left as the most important supporting cast member. Where the Master Chief doesn't have a face, but he has a whole body to emote with, whether it's his spine, or his shoulders. or the tilt of his head, or the way he slumps or reloads his weapon. There are these kinesthetic responses that he'll have which will really easily communicate the character and what he's feeling. That's hard to carry as a main character for an entire film. But you can certainly surround him with people who don't have helmets on and you can see their faces. They're normal actors doing their thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
you know, if I was making the decisions, I would have done the same thing. Chief isn't human enough to be a main character. Unless you take the helmet off, and have him in the suit much less.

I like that decision actually. I was thinking that is how they should do it from the announcement of the movie

I think he would work as the main character if you do the backstory of the Spartan program in the movie too. Show the whole development of the character and then people will understand and care about him more.

Least thats what I'd do with the Halo movie..

They'll probably re-write the script if it ever goes into production though, too much has been said already.

Adam said:
you know, if I was making the decisions, I would have done the same thing. Chief isn't human enough to be a main character. Unless you take the helmet off, and have him in the suit much less.
I agree, I dont want him to take his helmet off. It would spoil the mystery and everyone's imagination.
Plus, we've played 3 games with Chief as the main character, it would be interesting to have a different perspective on things.

I really wished they would have based the movie around The Fall of Reach. It's unfournate that they didn't. The Halo Series(Games) would make a lot more sense to those that haven't read the books.

/cry

-Doom

I agree with all of you on this and I think theySHOULD have done the backstory of the spartans as well to give a better picture to the folks who dont read or play the games...

Doom said:
I really wished they would have based the movie around The Fall of Reach. It's unfournate that they didn't. The Halo Series(Games) would make a lot more sense to those that haven't read the books.

/cry

-Doom
I agree it would help to show what masterchief was like before all the other spartans went bye bye

make chief much more talkative... and then after all other spartans were killed, he became the quiet type... do the back story through flashbacks. I think that would be best.

Adam said:
make chief much more talkative... and then after all other spartans were killed, he became the quiet type... do the back story through flashbacks. I think that would be best.
Agreed

Heh, that's gonna be a fail.
I'm estimating 2/4 of the crowd that would have gone to see Halo movie, had it never have been shut down, would have gone to see Master Chief pwn some fools.
The Arbiter best be in this.

I'm pretty sure this interview is old, but I still think it is a very wise decision. Master Chief only works as a character when you are him. There's a reason The Flood failed so terribly. I think I would fall to the ground and worship the Halo team if and when they produce this movie and manage to resist every impulse to make it another Uwe Boll-esque shootemup with not even an attempt at a darker, more serious undertone. This movie, if it ever sees light, needs to be Aliens, not Doom.

Of course, if it could surpass anything we've seen so far, that would be cool too.

Still, listen to yourselves. A movie without master chief as lead would be utterly sad. That would be like watching Star Wars in C3PO's point of view. Who cares if he doesn't have much interaction and 'character development'. Frank Castle hardly said anything in The Punisher, and he still kicked ass.

mooseguy04 said:
Still, listen to yourselves. A movie without master chief as lead would be utterly sad. That would be like watching Star Wars in C3PO's point of view. Who cares if he doesn't have much interaction and 'character development'. Frank Castle hardly said anything in The Punisher, and he still kicked ass.

true...the chief hardly ever talks in the game..so why should he in the movie? and who would be the main character in the movie?
by the way the chief aint the last spartan FYI...not to get all halo nerdy on you but you should read the books before making such a conclusion...GoO covers that question..

IHMO,

Having a faceless main character can work, just as long as the dialogue and a good all around, well rounded supporting cast are present as well. V for Vendetta comes to mind.

Gotta remember something, realizing a book/graphic novel/comic/game into a movie isn't 1 for 1. There will always have to be changes to be made, in order for the film to carry the story etc...granted not all made into movie projects succeeded, but there were a few exceptions and they varied from the 'offical' storyline. It's true the purists complained but some things just aren't possible to replicate word for word.

The script, the dialogue, visuals [LOTR comes to mind] and basically almost everything else makes and carries the movie along...every element plays a role into making the story a complete film...NOT just one character.

The Chief can be the main character, just as long as the supporting casts; the Gunny, Cortana, the Marines [a select team?] and every other secondary role character are just as strong. Include more dialogue for the Chief, it's possible...after all, he still talks to Cortana more often than not, and with the Gunny and Marines, practicing teamwork during combat ops...I have no problem with the Chief being just a bit more talkative..after all, he's human...kinda.

Just me...

Stay safe,

Tim.

mooseguy04 said:

He should be a supporting character for all the previous reasons. You cant have a main character that barley talks and never shows his face.

Oh and the Orginal Trilogy was told via the Droids point of view. So is most of the prequels, but they suck..

think of it like the first AVP, the Predators where an important part, and although they did show their faces, they didnt have to. and predators where still vital in the movie.

Also, im noticing a trend of people just reading HBO and then running over here and posting about it without giving HBO any credit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back