Mb's Odst Build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
the first pieces of armor i casted out of rotocast resin, but had questionable edge strength. so i just used 2 coats of fiberglass resin mixed with microballoon filler , then a layer of kittyhair fiber and resin. so the strength of the armor pieces are pretty good now.

Most applaudable, good sir! If I may ask a small question, What is the size of the foam bock used to sculpt the gauntlets?

thanks

i used 1'x 4' sheets glued together ,then cut to size.

here is an update on the overall build.

i just taped the armor on a manniquin to give me an idea how every thing is fitting together.

005-60.jpg

video

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, this looks good. I do have a comment on the side equipment plates and the belt. I think they are way too thick. I think they should be about a third of that thickness. The helmet and the chest plate cast look great. FOr the shoulders, did you do one cast of the entire thing or do you have three pieces? From what I can see of the right shoulder, it looks like it's in one piece. If so, WHY? That would seriously limit mobility.

I had to go through the entire topic again to see if there were any other pictures of the backpack. I saw only one on the first post. I want to see more of that yellow backpack you've got at the back. It looks good.

Excellent work overall.

Meleck said:
Man, this looks good. I do have a comment on the side equipment plates and the belt. I think they are way too thick. I think they should be about a third of that thickness. The helmet and the chest plate cast look great. FOr the shoulders, did you do one cast of the entire thing or do you have three pieces? From what I can see of the right shoulder, it looks like it's in one piece. If so, WHY? That would seriously limit mobility.

I had to go through the entire topic again to see if there were any other pictures of the backpack. I saw only one on the first post. I want to see more of that yellow backpack you've got at the back. It looks good.

Excellent work overall.

thanks

if you watch the video i explain why the equipment plates and belt buckles are so thick. i am going to vacform them. meaning they will be trimmed to the correct width once pulled. if you have ever vacformed before , you need to build up the thickness of the item you are vacforming. first to help press the details in the plastic ,second becuase at the bottom of the plug on the vacform table there is a little roll in the plastic on the edege that forms. you need to trim that off once the item is pulled.

on the shoulder armor. i have not noticed any lack of mobility while wearing them. they move at the shoulder not the middle of th bicep. so why make them move in the middle of the bicep????

on the backpack. i put the pep file together. but i don't like it. i have a friend who is going to cut one on a cnc machine from some 3d images.

You could have stopped at the helmet and I would have been blown away, but this build gets more amazing with each update.

thanks, guys. between casting helmets and casting armor. progrees is a little slow, the guanlets are kicking my butt, but i will have some more stuff to post weds.

stay tuned.........

thanks, i love cookies.

ok here are the start of the thigh armor.

001-86.jpg

here is the gaunlet update. i knew coming into this , the gauntlets would be the hardest part. everything else has been gravy. they are still in the rough phase. i hollowed one of them out to make sure of the fit. they are suppose to look thick, but i wanted make sure. they were to long so i shorten them by over an inch. and made them narrower. still along way to go on the gaunlets , but making progress. the elbow armor is just tacked on to see what it looks like.

the helmet i am wearing is one with a reject viser with rube's spray tint trick. i am going to put a blue tinted viser in the helmet.

010-18.jpg

006-47.jpg

007-43.jpg

008-29.jpg

mrbungle said:
the helmet i am wearing is one with a reject viser with rube's spray tint trick. i am going to put a blue tinted viser in the helmet.

can you do the same thing (tint a visor) for gold? for say my Mark VI helmet? (i am assuming it is cheaper than buying 2 gold visors... of course they would not reflect...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back