Metal Odst Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

checker357

first pics, still need to flatten, grind, and paint. not to mention pad the inside, and find a suitable visor.

[attachment=14804:0119102031.jpg][attachment=14805:0119102031a.jpg]

the AOT helm looks like ittl come out awsome. the ODST looks good too. How did you get those folds in the metal? and what kind of metal did you use?

honestly, that was my next project. however, i dont really like the look of Garland's model, and VROGY's has parts that are impossible to do with the materials i use.

if u know of any other (simpler, more visually appealing) models, please post them.

oh, and P.S.- they are heavier than paper, but their aluminum construction means that they are VERY light, especially compared to a fully bondo'd helm.

P.P.S.- i use sheet aluminum (purchased at the local Home Depot), pliers to bend the plates, and pop-rivets to secure them in place. same as using a glue gun and paper, only MUCH harder.

I have seen countless topics about people trying to do this but I have never scene it done. I am sure everyone one the forums would love if you made a little tutorial here showing how you did this. And you should definetly try the H1:CE Marine helmet. It is a simple model but I like its looks.

Guys this is actually easy to do if you have the right equipment. The main things is just like pepakura you have to cut out the parts and trace the pep part onto the aluminum. One of the ways to do it and get your folds on ti is to trace the folds on it too either by using line of sight or cutting down each pep piece at the fold and tracing the fold line on it. Once you have the metal pieces cut out one way is pliers and another way is a hammer and a piece of wood putting the fold line at the edge of the wood block and hammering it on the edge. Then for the rivets just drill a hole through the fold tab and the attaching side and put a rivet in it. I must say nice work Checker357.

wow! so far i've gotten several offers to help with a .pdo re-design, as well as a request for a tutorial.

if u feel up to modding a .pdo to be more metal-friendly (H1 marine helm, specifically), just try to:

1. remove/shift together all small, thin parts

2. keep it visually appealing (just my opinion, but the visor of Garland's looks pretty bad)

3. have as many large, flat-ish parts as possible without distorting the design too much

also, Nintendude hit it right on the head. that's *basically* the method i use. i'll probably do a tutorial build of the best Marine .pdo i can find (as soon as somebody posts it)

and yes, i diced up my knuckles pretty bad when i was working without gloves. i intend to foam pad it and cover the edges with gasket rubber

Awesome man! I actually was building a mandalorian helmet the exact same way! Pop rivets and everything. I was using Skip's peps as a template. Just be careful witht the stuff, and you'll be fine. I used sheet aluminum, that was meant to be rolled into tubes for dryer vents.

The AoT helmet looks awesome! I really like that one!

Hmm.........I think it might be pretty neat to have the spikes on my hayabusa helmet all made from the metal and the rest pepped. :phaha

Is making it from metal pretty cheap or are the supplies pretty expensive? Or would it be about the same as if buying all the resin and stuff for a pepped model?

Sweet helm! Using rivets looks as though it'll work out great! If you make a second helm, (and you have the ability) I'd recommend trying to weld it! Still that's looking very good! Do you plan to paint it, or buff it to give it a mirrored look? (Or something else?)

Cheers!

ok, a little more progress made on the Ao2 mask.

[attachment=14807:0131101812.jpg]

in addition, I'll be doing a tutorial on GARLAND's H1 Marine helmet for now, and it will hopefully answer most of the questions you may have.

:NOTE:

I still welcome all metal-friendly models that you make, but right now I'm just gonna do something simple.

(PM me with any pressing questions.)

when can we expect to that tutorial? this Excites me cause i was planning to use aluminum (much different than this Awesome idea) before that suit fell through but i might use it on my Halo2 odst armor soon.

That is so cool. this definitely deserves attention. Are you going to dremel down the rivets a little to smooth them out or just going to leave them as is for the riveted look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back