Metalized Weapon Concept

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustKeepGoing

Hello good people of the 405th I have an interesting idea to propose. I myself been making Pepakura based props for the last couple years now ( Never tried foam) and have been fairly inactive on my 405th account as of late. While scrolling through Youtube in a random fashion I stumbled upon a video which had an interesting concept. Most prop weapons that people build to go with their suit are primarily made of bondo, molded plastic, foam etc, A common thing that pops up in those threads is that the props themselves although great looking are not very durable. Video at Bottom.

The processes itself is much like making a mold of your original prop and making a copy out of plastic this process however makes a solid metal copy (Possibly hollow with some modifications to design) with the side effect of destroying the original, I was thinking, if you were to make the weapon (Example: the Assault Rifle) itself out of a light weight metal Aluminum as an example, would it not give the weight and feel of an actual weapon all the while also being more durable then a foam or resin prop? Due note this was just and idea that I had while was watching the video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen this video before! I was thinking something similar as I watched it! :D
I'm not entirely sure if aluminum is magnetic... So if you were to try and carry it on your back like in game, you'd have to add like steel or some magnets into it?

I've seen this video before! I was thinking something similar as I watched it! :D
I'm not entirely sure if aluminum is magnetic... So if you were to try and carry it on your back like in game, you'd have to add like steel or some magnets into it?

Aluminum Itself is not magnetic so yes you would need some kind of steel or magnet in order to mount it to the body. But the main idea of the project is that wont it be possible to make a more durable prop weapon or armor piece from this process?

Aluminum Itself is not magnetic so yes you would need some kind of steel or magnet in order to mount it to the body. But the main idea of the project is that wont it be possible to make a more durable prop weapon or armor piece from this process?

Yes and yes. Just gotta make the prop outta foam. I suppose, you could make a mold of your prop, then pour some expanding foam into the mold. Note: I have no experience with molds or with expanding foam.

Yes and yes. Just gotta make the prop outta foam. I suppose, you could make a mold of your prop, then pour some expanding foam into the mold. Note: I have no experience with molds or with expanding foam.

Im sure of of our talented foam workers should be able to do that. Expanding foam is probably best not to use as it becomes rock hard and is not flammable (too a flame at least not sure about molten metal)

Im sure of of our talented foam workers should be able to do that. Expanding foam is probably best not to use as it becomes rock hard and is not flammable (too a flame at least not sure about molten metal)

Molten metal is pretty hot stuff, depending on the specific metal... But I get what you're sayin. We definitely have some gifted foam workers in the community.

Man Id be afraid that my kid or someone elses kids would start a serious fire or burn themselves. Did you see that flame gezzz

Man Id be afraid that my kid or someone elses kids would start a serious fire or burn themselves. Did you see that flame gezzz

Yea that is a possibility then again I would not allow any children around me when ever I melt metal. From what I had learned from my time in the school metal works is that as long as you have good protection such as thick leather gloves, goggles and apron the heat and flames more then fine to keep you save, just keep way from anything flammable like trees, houses etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back