***MICROSOFT RELEASES NEW GAME CONTENT USAGE RULES***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured aut part of it. They don't want people to sell their own armor. They want you to buy that liscenced piece of $h!t. Of course, there's a lot more to it than that.

doesnt that mean the halo fan film is illegal!?!!??!
wtf
microsoft has taken this too far, first computers that can get viruses now this!
those money hungry s.o.bs.... >=/

Fan fics are unsanctioned. If they're not for profit, then they're still legal.

So the Fan Film is OK. Just might have to be re-titled... after all they don't want anything to be called 'Halo' that doesn't come from them or isn't liscensed.
Which is why we are online at 'MjolnirArmor.com' and not 'HaloArmor.com'

Everybody needs to chill... these are rules that most of us knew existed for some time now. M$ is just clarifying this so that we can play by the rules and not get into legal trouble. Nothing has really changed. They're actually trying to help by better defining what is in violation so that fewer people get into trouble.

Also don't freak out so much about buying and selling. Theres a HUGE difference between Gross profit and Net profit... as anybody who's self employed or has ever filed taxes can tell you.

Gross profit means any income source. It is money recieved.

Net profit is actual profit; as in money that you recieved more than the amount it cost you to produce something (money recieved minus the cost to produce something). Net profit does not include material expenses, or labor... labor isn't free after all... So, you can still be paid to make this stuff and not profit from it.

How do you think that all those 'Non-Profit' museums and agencies can pay their workers...? They're still paid... actually quite well, but they're not making a profit because labor is not included in NET profits...

Other questions that arise from this are: who determines the cost of labor? Answer: the individual. Some non-Profit Directors and CEO's actually make a heck of alot of money... but it's not profit because the cost of their time is determined by their organization... and is exempt from Net profit because it is labor.

Like I said... don't freak out, it's not the end of the world... we can all still do what we were doing, we just need to be mindful of Microsofts rules... and loopholes and do it in the legal manner.

im not liking this and i dont care if i get sued im gona start a topic in xbox forums saying we should override microsoft. They have to listen to there fans or they will have none

I dont think that's true (Clarification: (w00t i may deliberately develop the habit of immitating that robot from KOTOR) that /\/\$ will lose their fanbase if they dont treat them right). I think Micro$oft have decided, true or not, that their fans are so devoted that whatever they do, the fans will still like Halo, and buy Halo 3. I dont think anyone here is not going to buy Halo 3, merely because they arent allowed, legally, to sell their armour or destribute machinima or whatever. Therefore, if this is true, it makes sense for /\/\$ to protect their assets - if it wont hurt their sales or lose them significant number of fans - cos this doesnt change the fact that Halo was one of the best games ever made - then it makes sense to do this, to the corporation. of course, it lowers the sympathy for /\/\$, but since they didnt make the game, and therefore we still feel sympathy for bungie, and therefore still purchase.
At very least, 70% of that is probably untrue, 6% possibly slightly untrue, and the remaining 24% is unknown.

I dont think that's true

You never said what it was that you didn't agree with... I'm at a loss...

Heres the thing.. they just don't want anybody else getting rich off of their creation.. it's completely understandable... Just don't expect to get rich doing anything based on characters derived from trademarked properties...

OK.. message recieved! I'm perfectly happy being poor if I can make armor all day and play games every night...

sounds like a wet dream to me.. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
yay you said armor not weapons woot. Does anyone think microsoft are starting to be B****** now? I mean wtf they will lose there whole fan base all they care about is money f them when we ask bungie for map editor and 4 player co op they give it to us.

Spartan... do you think that Microsoft worries about offending a small group like us? They don't.. they roll over us like we were refuse in the streets... Really they have an ace in the hole, and they're rapidly taking over the videogames industry... they can set their rules...

As far as this stuff goes it's really the individual companies decision. Other franchise owners like LucasArts and Epic do things entirely differently. They encourage fan creation... Microsoft just prefers to be in control of their representation. Something as insignificant as this isn't going to affect Halo 3 sales in the least bit... So... no they aren't going to lose their fan base...

Wookie: yes, 4 player co-op is confirmed, as of last week.

the simple solution is if you sell armor or weapons and it is required that you invoice your material make sure it is labeled

cost of mat. $$$$
time to make $$$$
shipping $$$$
Profit 0.00

you should be paid for your time but amny of use don't really make alot off of armor. I'm sure most of the guys like me are still several thou in the hole at this point. So none of us really has anything to worry about

Sean Bradley is right - hardcore fans seem to forget that about 94.76% (off the top of my head made up completely) of Halo fans arent nearly devoted enough to do any more than buy & play the game, let alone make their own MJOLNIR armour... Even if you added all modders, fanauthors, fanartists, general fanmakers together, and denied them access to all Halo assets other than for use ingame and stopped them buying Halo 3, it would still not lose them more than about 2% profit from their possible $170mn dollar 1st 24hrs of H3.

EDIT: online coop? megahyperuber\/\/00t with added 00ooO0oOs

BenStreeper said:
the simple solution is if you sell armor or weapons and it is required that you invoice your material make sure it is labeled

cost of mat. $$$$
time to make $$$$
shipping $$$$
Profit 0.00

you should be paid for your time but amny of use don't really make alot off of armor. I'm sure most of the guys like me are still several thou in the hole at this point. So none of us really has anything to worry about
Muahahaha :dee:

MS = Pwn'd.

cost of mat: $700
time to make: $600
shipping: $100
Profit: $0.00
Finding a loop hole on the first day: Priceless :Steve:

If we get Bungie's go-ahead on the 405th, we've got the golden ticket. Otherwise that sucks for us fan writers...=/

Ok,

I've taken a few hours to clear my head and look at this calmly. I relized a few things that should help:

1st)All currently made armor and previous sales cannot be affected by this. They are "grandfathered in." Basically, they were made before the rules, so they are not affected, just like you cannot be tried for something youdid before it became illegal.

2nd) Same applies to the novels. I am 99% confident that M$ will grant the rights to make the books again, simply because it is a huge source of income for the francise.

3rd) They will not be chasing you down if you don't draw attention to yourself. Keep a cool head and low profile, don't start making a big deal about it.

Just my takes on it, any law students want to take a gander and interpret?

Chris

Kiltmanfortytwo said:
Ok,

I've taken a few hours to clear my head and look at this calmly. I relized a few things that should help:

1st)All currently made armor and previous sales cannot be affected by this. They are "grandfathered in." Basically, they were made before the rules, so they are not affected, just like you cannot be tried for something youdid before it became illegal.

2nd) Same applies to the novels. I am 99% confident that M$ will grant the rights to make the books again, simply because it is a huge source of income for the francise.

3rd) They will not be chasing you down if you don't draw attention to yourself. Keep a cool head and low profile, don't start making a big deal about it.

Just my takes on it, any law students want to take a gander and interpret?

Chris

Here are some of the things my dad said.

1. They can't sue if it's fan art.

2. They can sue if it's mass produced.

3. They can sue if you claim it as your own image.

4. They can sue if you sell their "image".

...there were some other things he said but I wasn't paying 100 percent attention though. I might be misquoting what he said....so if I'm wrong please don't take it the wrong way. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back