MJOLNIR GEN2 Custom Armor | CODENAME: WOLVERINE - 1st build / try (foam)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lot's of work to do on the courtyard, over the weekend - but found time to do a plaster "positive" for my visor...

View attachment 29188

Was my first try with that material and turned out quite well. I'll need to do some smoothing and straightening now to get a real nice and clean shape, and than will have to produce a "negative" in the next step in which I will press some heated acrylic glas. This should work nicely, if I manage to get it to the right temperature (too low = hard to get it to the right shape / to high = bubbles). We'll see if that plan will turn out as I wish... :) Otherwise, I'll do basically the same, but with a more basic shape and some filler to close the small gaps...

I don't really recommend pressing acrylic glass.
I tried it myself - didn't work.
In order for it to work you seriously need a vacuum table, the vacuum part.
Why?
When you heat it up, it will being to wave around and it's impossible to keep it straight and bend it up to your will.
I tried with different material and different thicknesses... and wasted quite few things thanks to that. :/

Hey guys, sorry for the long absence... Life has gone wild over the last - wait - months (really...?!?!??). Long story short: Some job opportunity, that was impossible to refuse, unexpectedly knocked at our door and we were / are preparing to move. For the moment and the near future that means: Good bye workshop - we had a short, but good time! :cry So, meanwhile, no major updates on the suit. Nearly everything armor-related will have to wait until the next spring / summer.

But... At the moment, I still have a desk and a working computer on it and I've managed to start working on some small parts, respectively the gloves. Like I did with the whole planning, I started with some drawings and this is, what came out:

hand_armor_preview.png

The next step was, to create some (foam-)template - the plan was / is, to cut out several layers of foamies and stack them to create more detail from the scratch:

hand_armor_layout.png

And finally, I made my first foam-cuts yesterday (at night) :wacko :

hand_armor_01.jpg hand_armor_02.jpg

Looked quite OK to me, but I decided to start over and give it an all-new second try. This time, I was happier with the result and did the second back of hand and the first finger:

hand_armor_03.jpg hand_armor_04.jpg

Quite happy with it, so far. And I must say, it's one thing to prepare and create drawings. It's much nicer to see everything come together in a 3D model. But...
OMG... It's such an awesome feeling to see the first parts come together in reality, as - in fact - wearable peaces! Can't wait to do the rest of the suit...

Next steps will be to finish the gloves, than the forearms and after that, the visor... Difficult to estimate how much time this will take, ATM - but as always: I'll keep you guys updated. Leave the doors (in fact, this thread *g*) open for me! :D

Update: 1 Glove completely cutted out and glued together... Time for a test-fitting:

hand_armor_05.jpg

Next steps: Very careful sanding to get rid of some glue spots, light heat-forming on the few larger parts, plasti-dipping, coloring and than comes the moment of truth... But for now, I'm quite happy with the result.

The glove looks really good so far! Are you just doing an all black glove, or are you keeping color on it?

The glove looks really good so far!

THANKS! :)

Are you just doing an all black glove, or are you keeping color on it?

The colors of the glove resemble the chosen color pattern of the undersuit quite perfect, so: Yes! I'm planning to keep the coloring (while trying to get rid of the manufacturers logos).

Progress: First attempt was, to not make the fingers armor too large... But after looking at it for some days, I decided to resize the pattern for the fingers and make it 30% larger. And this is, what came out...

hand_armor_06.jpg

The two fingers are already glued together and slightly heatformed. Guess, this will do the trick.

THANKS! :)

The colors of the glove resemble the chosen color pattern of the undersuit quite perfect, so: Yes! I'm planning to keep the coloring (while trying to get rid of the manufacturers logos).

Progress: First attempt was, to not make the fingers armor too large... But after looking at it for some days, I decided to resize the pattern for the fingers and make it 30% larger. And this is, what came out...

View attachment 33980

The two fingers are already glued together and slightly heatformed. Guess, this will do the trick.

Looking at the logos in the picture, you might be able to slide an x-acto knife underneath and sort of cut them off. I'm not certain it will work, but it's worth a shot!

Looking at the logos in the picture, you might be able to slide an x-acto knife underneath and sort of cut them off. I'm not certain it will work, but it's worth a shot!

Already tried that. Unfortunately that ended with a little hole in the fabric. I'll try to paint over it. We'll see...

Please Help Me:

How do I turn pfd into pdo files, Because whenever I print out the sheets is shows the numbers on the sheet but no lines?

Please Help Me: How do I turn pfd into pdo files, Because whenever I print out the sheets is shows the numbers on the sheet but no lines?

Sorry, I'm the wrong guy to ask. I've drawn my glove-templates by myself / by hand / with PhotoShop. No pdo and / or pfd files involved. (And no other (edit: at least file-based) armor pieces in the work, at the moment...)
My only experience with pepakura models looks like this: Load pep file into pep software, make screenshot, paste it into PhotoShop and use it for reference. And even this I haven't done since I discovered Blender to get better reference material.

Hmm... are they loose enough to pull them off with a tweezers do you think?

super-durable stuff, with super-durable logos on it... normally, it's ment to be workwear...

meanwhile i started to "block out" my forearm piece to get some ideas how to build it...
for any reason, i got stuck with the idea to make this a from-scratch-build, since i made the first parts for the glove...

forearm_armor_01.jpg

(edit: except for the helmet... this really heavy to do part, i just got from etsy)

[MENTION] wolverine[/MENTION]

This guy here, gotta be all artsy fartsy with everything. Lol, keep the updates coming!

super-durable stuff, with super-durable logos on it... normally, it's ment to be workwear...

meanwhile i started to "block out" my forearm piece to get some ideas how to build it...
for any reason, i got stuck with the idea to make this a from-scratch-build, since i made the first parts for the glove...

View attachment 33999

(edit: except for the helmet... this really heavy to do part, i just got from etsy)

Good luck man, a scratch build is gonna be tough as a first armor build, you make good blueprints though, and blueprints help with everything.

Holy cow, I was busy over the last few months... Can't believe my last post is 4 months old! But: Found some time to work on my suit over the last weekend... First glove finally finished (will take / upload some photos tonight), upper half of the forearm armor and the to side pieces are built, assembled and got their plasti-dip coating and the first layer of primer... second layer this evening, after work, some sanding tomorrow and hopefully the paintjob before the next weekend... Than I will see, if everything will work out, like planned... A little teaser, for now:

this...

forearm_armor_01-jpg.26177

turned into this...

17884665_252781665193989_4764551728182479113_n.jpg

(Still a little glue-mess visible, which has been removed meanwhile)

The promised pictures of the (basically) finished glove, that clearly has seen some heavy duty:

17861946_253292551809567_6773759999642369518_n.jpg

17759923_253292548476234_2581526200266790174_n.jpg

When the forearm is ready and painted (and I've finally decided which color-scheme-way I wanna go - still somewhat unsure on the details), I'll potentially brush on some blue and white / light gray paint traces, left over from the better days the armor has seen, when it was new...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back