Foam MJOLNIR Mark VI - Halo 3 Foam Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used superglue to affix the visor to the rest of the helmet, but I didn't like how it interacted with the PETG visor. If anyone knows of a better glue or way to put in a visor, please let me know!

Here is a glamor shot when it was all complete. I also added LEDs and padding, but I'll go into that a little later, Additionally I vacuformed some white styrene as the light covers.

DSC_0847.jpg

Last edited:
I used superglue to affix the visor to the rest of the helmet, but I didn't like how it interacted with the PETG visor. If anyone knows of a better glue or way to put in a visor, please let me know!

Here is a glamor shot when it was all complete. I also added LEDs and padding, but I'll go into that a little later. Additionally I vacuformed some white styrene as the light covers.

View attachment 309427

Very impressive! I've been considering a vacuum formed visor after a few attempts at a resin one. You make it look easy.

Very impressive! I've been considering a vacuum formed visor after a few attempts at a resin one. You make it look easy.
Thanks! I wish it was that easy. I probably had about 10 attempts before I got a few pulls that I liked. Thankfully I found a place that sell huge rolls of PETG!

Thanks! I wish it was that easy. I probably had about 10 attempts before I got a few pulls that I liked. Thankfully I found a place that sell huge rolls of PETG!
what place did you find that sold rolls of petg i have ben trying to get plastic for my visors but everyone is back ordered

Here is a glamor shot when it was all complete. I also added LEDs and padding, but I'll go into that a little later, Additionally I vacuformed some white styrene as the light covers.

View attachment 309427
CA really likes to craze and create a mist on thin clear plastics so that's unfortunately just part of life when attaching visors that way. Hot glue or a two sided tape are options that will help limit the smoking of the visor when you try your next one.

CA really likes to craze and create a mist on thin clear plastics so that's unfortunately just part of life when attaching visors that way. Hot glue or a two sided tape are options that will help limit the smoking of the visor when you try your next one.
I also tried hot glue one but I didn't like the hold I got.

I have also seen this product being used, I wonder if anyone here has had good results with it.
https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8267-S-SteelStik-Reinforced/dp/B000786GLM

Wow - this is very very impressive! The helmet and visor look terrific. I never would have thought of doing a gold base, but wow it looks great.

I had some of the same issues with CA glue and the haze/mist. I was able to clean some of it off with a clean cloth and some water. (didn't want to use any chemicals) I've also seen different brands of CA glue do this more than others. (BSI has done it less than others for me)

I have started researching and going to do some experiments on adding the patterns to the midriff. Planning on making some molds, and casting with latex. I'll update this post with the results in the future.

Now for what I'm super super proud of: The MA5C Assault rifle. This was my first time patterning something from scratch. I usually use exiting templates or patterns.

Used Inkscape to trace over a photo of the rifle, printed out the blueprint (several times), and started assembling a prototype to make sure I was on the right track and had the right dimensions.

Capture.PNG

IMG_5864 (1).jpg

I had heard good things about using Alclad II lacquers to paint metallic on foam, so I decided to try it. It didn't disappoint. I didn't do a great job with the shading here, I think it has to do with using lacquers and not actual paint. More for me to learn eventually.

Used Polished Aluminium and Steel. Works best to paint over a base of glossy black, and again it's more for me to learn. The glossy black I used wasn't great on the sealed foam. Next time I'm going to try to use Alclad's primer they have.

DSC_0913.jpg

More future plans: I'm going to make a video showing details of the steps to make the rifle, and maybe even release the plans I have. I need to clean them up a little first.

Update! Video is done:

If you want the blueprints, DM here (Not on YouTube). Anyone messaging me here on the forums I'll be happy to send it to.

Update 2: Another video showing the paint job:

Last edited:
Instead of writing about the strapping, I'll post this video of me talking about the different ways the armor is strapped to my body. Strapping is always something that I initially overlook, so I was glad to be able to take some time this time to go through a few iterations on how it might work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back