MK VI Foam Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I only know that because I had a borrowed Boba/Jango Fett costume (not entirely movie accurate but who cares) this february for the company party and yes, there were some complications involved :)

So when I decided to make my own suit, I also knew I have to plan for those emergencies, and also to include some pockets for all kinds of stuff (keys, wallet, phone etc)

wow that looks epic as
mastercheif would be proud
thanks for the file just trying to figure out how to put the peices in chunks

Strapping finished now!

IMG_0887-1.jpg

The biceps are connected to the chest harness so they stay in place better. I was having issues with them riding around. All the straps are connected with space for the under suit to tuck in behind the armour. I will be attaching velcro to the straps and then the under suit will attach to them.

List of things left to do.

1. The Boots
2. Painting
3. Lighting
4. Undersuit (learn to sew)
5. Fan Installation
6. Make a voice changer for the helmet and work out where the speaker is going to go!
7. Tidy Office :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I am in awe. I will be using your thread to reference while I build my suit. Fantastic job sir! I can't even decide what I like best!

DANGGGGG!!! I wish I had this thread as a reference when I started my build... Guess that's what happens when you go AWOL for a year and a half, huh?

AWESOME work and incredible skill by FAR. Looking forward to seeing more. :)

What did u use to cut the foam? the cut looks really nice

Well you guys call them exacto knives but the technical term for the knife I have is a surgical scalpel knife but from looking at the blades they are exactly to same. My huge huge piece of advice when cutting is USE FRESH BLADES! For my helmet I think I went through 30 blades to make sure all cuts where done in one continuous line, no sawing for smoother lines. As I have progressed on the suit I got my technique down where if the cut was fairly straight a slightly blunt blade was fine but fresh blades is the key. So far I have bought 200 blades for the suit.

Would like to add a really big thank you to all that follow or drop by my thread and for all the support you guys give. There is such a good community spirit here and I don't say thank you enough for it. Keep building guys and have fun with it! :)

wow! im working on the shin right know an the cut was bad. i use an exacto knife but i didn't cut it in one continuous line. what do u mean by sawing?

A sawing motion. It leaves ridges in a cut which shows when joining pieces together. If my camera was back from being repaired I could get on with my tutorials, bit frustrating not being able to show people how to improve their skills. It's hard to put into words what I want to say really. Main thing is to keep your blades fresh. DBMike was having issues with his cuts so I gave him about 20 new blades from my stash and it improved his cuts 100%.

Oh that was i did and it look horrible

i push the blade are the way down and cut but when i finished cutting the piece looks tilted to the side

do u know any tutorials that show how to cut?

Ouch, 200 blades sound a lot. I thought I was prepared with a 100 pack :) and I also plan to use the angled foam board cutter for the 45 degree cuts and only have about 50 replacement blades for that (well 25 but they have two ends).

I know it's not fully representative because of the varied edge lengths, but how many blades per 60x60 board does that come down to? About 15-20 at least, right? That would mean a new blade for every new piece...?

No sorry there aren't many out there that I could find on technique. If you can hold out mine will be up after next week once my camera is returned.

Ouch, 200 blades sound a lot. I thought I was prepared with a 100 pack :) and I also plan to use the angled foam board cutter for the 45 degree cuts and only have about 50 replacement blades for that (well 25 but they have two ends).

I know it's not fully representative because of the varied edge lengths, but how many blades per 60x60 board does that come down to? About 15-20 at least, right? That would mean a new blade for every new piece...?

Not really sure never thought about it that much. I must add I have also used some of those blades on the ironman suit and got some left but irrespective of exact numbers if you feel a blade not performing use a fresh one. You can feel the difference between a fresh and a worn blade. I love that feeling of a fresh blade cut because even after the first line you cut it doesn't feel as smooth. I am so tempted to get a wood burning tool with blade attachment but not sure if it will give that crisp cut a new blade can. I assume the heat will slightly pull the foams edge ack a bit.

I use a box cutter, the kind you break off the blade when it gets dull to use the next one in line. I use the sawing technique as well, but what I found helps, is multiple passes, going down just a bit more each time. It lets you cut faster, and prevents the foam from bunching and folding/stretching under the blade, and usually leave a perfectly smooth edge (until the blade starts to dull).

I've tried using a wood-burning blade, but I just melt huge holes instead... :(

Lol Lordzoabar! I saw that guy on the instructables tutorial using one and it did look good but yeah the fact that any slow moves and it's melt down time.

That, and unless you keep your hand PERFECTLY still and straight, the cuts go all wonkey regardless of how fast you cut. It's good for final detailing, but not precision cuts.

Never thought about that good point. Slightest misdirection and it's all over!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back