moded dft odst smg wip/holo sight housing material help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been working on making andrew dft's smg which I have modded to have a collapsible stock, foldable foregrip, removable magazine, removable suppressor and other added details to make it more in game accurate and I am currently stuck on the holo sight housing as I have tried using eva foam but its too soft and hard to add the bevels to create the complex sight. Any ideas on what to make the housing out of as it needs to be strong?

IMG_20210222_173957.jpg
IMG_20210127_122436.jpg

That is a super cool mod, and it looks awesome. I would be interested in reading about your methods if you feel like making a build thread for this project.
With regards to the sight, I would say you could try doing a fiberglassed cardstock piece. Even just the cardstock coated in resin would probably be strong enough for what you are doing, and if the model is good you wouldn't need to bondo it and risk loosing out on details. I dont know if it would be easier, but you could use thin wood (maybe like balsa wood) layered similar to how you would do foam and then use a saw to cut the bevels and whatnot. It would at least be tougher and you could theoretically use the same patterns from DFT. Another somewhat obvious option would be to 3D print the piece, but that requires you to have access to a printer and the model.

I have been working on making andrew dft's smg which I have modded to have a collapsible stock, foldable foregrip, removable magazine, removable suppressor and other added details to make it more in game accurate and I am currently stuck on the holo sight housing as I have tried using eva foam but its too soft and hard to add the bevels to create the complex sight. Any ideas on what to make the housing out of as it needs to be strong?

View attachment 303198View attachment 303199
Like FalseShepherd was sayin, cardstock and resin could work, pep method. Maybe even cardboard and resin? BUT if we have a 3d model of it or if i can find one, then I'd totally be down to print it for you if you don't have a printer. Just let me know

That is a super cool mod, and it looks awesome. I would be interested in reading about your methods if you feel like making a build thread for this project.
With regards to the sight, I would say you could try doing a fiberglassed cardstock piece. Even just the cardstock coated in resin would probably be strong enough for what you are doing, and if the model is good you wouldn't need to bondo it and risk loosing out on details. I dont know if it would be easier, but you could use thin wood (maybe like balsa wood) layered similar to how you would do foam and then use a saw to cut the bevels and whatnot. It would at least be tougher and you could theoretically use the same patterns from DFT. Another somewhat obvious option would be to 3D print the piece, but that requires you to have access to a printer and the model.
thanks i am really happy with how its turned out so far even more than my odst pistol. I have thought about making a build thread, so I have been taking photos of my smg and pistol builds along the way just in case i ever decide to do a thread which would probably turn into a huge essay but for now i will focus on getting them finished.

I don't really want to use fibreglass or bondo ever again after the massive faff that was my helmet. wood could work but could be fiddley as i am not going to use DFT's design for the sight as its just too blocky and i plan to recrate the in game one which is more complex. I have recently had one idea which is strong cardboard with glue pored into the gaps and then papermached which could be a quicker/cheaper method but would sacrifice a lot of strength possibly.

thanks for the suggestion :D

Like FalseShepherd was sayin, cardstock and resin could work, pep method. Maybe even cardboard and resin? BUT if we have a 3d model of it or if i can find one, then I'd totally be down to print it for you if you don't have a printer. Just let me know
I am not really a fan of fibreglass resin after using it for my helmet but I was thinking of pouring glue into the gaps in some thick cardboard and using papermache to give it more strength, won't be as strong but could be quicker and easier.

I sadly don't have a 3d printer but as cool as having the part 3d printed I would prefer making it by hand like I have done with the rest of the build but thanks for the kind offer anyway :D

I am not really a fan of fibreglass resin after using it for my helmet but I was thinking of pouring glue into the gaps in some thick cardboard and using papermache to give it more strength, won't be as strong but could be quicker and easier.

I sadly don't have a 3d printer but as cool as having the part 3d printed I would prefer making it by hand like I have done with the rest of the build but thanks for the kind offer anyway :D
10-4 my dude! Keep up the awesome work, happy building!

You could use styrene sheet plastic for most of the sight depending on the shape. You can heat and bend it to shape and it glues up with model glue or CYA glue. Most all the hobby stores carry a wide assortment of sizes and shapes, and fairly inexpensive too. You can also get clear for the lense
could work but it would need to be fairly thick and I would have to cut it to fit together as bending it into shape might not turn out as well as I would like especially after my attempts of bending plastic for the visor but would be better than using wood for the sight housing though no hobby stores are open and probably won't be open for a while in the uk.

I have got some thin clear plastic left over from my visor which I have used for the lens which i plan to add the reticle from the game onto it with red tinted plastic and if my current tests have proven that is going to be a pain in the ass.

thanks for the suggestion :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back