Molding Mjolnir Shins

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoviper34

Jr Member
I just wanted to know how you would mold the shins.
I know how to mold but im stuck on the clay part do u make it hallow or sold
i mean a leg then the piece on the leg or just the piece and like being able to see though it from the inside ?
please help :D
and i wont to be able to use a computer well cya

I had a similar question when i first found the forums, i figured it out from Adams video of casting his ODST helmet.
Here is the link to the video
Basically use a similar method for all your parts, I'm sure you can figure it out from the video.

TheSpartanMjolnir said:
make as a solid. mold and cast. drill the big hole to put on yor foot. boom, you got. it may seem hard at first but you'll get the hang of it
alright but what would i use to drill the big hole ?

Last edited by a moderator:
geoviper34 said:
alright but what would i use to drill the big hole ?

A power drill or something that is powered ( because it is hard to cut plastic ) that can cut through things. plus do you even know how to mold cause if you know how to mold the chest and everything else wouldn't you know how to mold a shin.

abandonship said:
i don't think drilling a hole would be that cost effective.

What do you mean. drilling the hole is for putting your leg through the plastic unless you want the plastic to have no hole to put on your leg

yeah, u don't need to hollow it out, your not making a completely solid cast, think about the video i linked... think and you will figure it out.

drilling through all that plastic is a waste. And if I'm not mistaken the stuff you use to make molds is expensive.

abandonship said:
drilling through all that plastic is a waste. And if I'm not mistaken the stuff you use to make molds is expensive.

Are you even listening to what we are saying? you make a hollow cast and then you drill a hole not a solid cast. we were saying to make the clay solid because mold holes would not work. we know are molds are expensive but ou can use it over and over again. i'm not trieing to be mean or anything. just saying

LastSpartan said:
Slushcasting people...

Driling in plastic is like loosing 1/2 of the plastic you use to cast the piece.
As last spartan said, you use the slush casting (also known as roto-casting) method. roto-casting by hand is demonstrated in the video i linked above.
TheSpartanMjolnir: no offense meant, but that sentence did not make sense...

TheSpartanMjolnir said:
Are you even listening to what we are saying? you make a hollow cast and then you drill a hole not a solid cast. we were saying to make the clay solid because mold holes would not work. we know are molds are expensive but ou can use it over and over again. i'm not trieing to be mean or anything. just saying
if the cast is already hollow why would you drill a hole?

Anyway, watch the video Portalman linked.

abandonship said:

ding ding ding, we have a winner!^^^

abandonship said:

It's hollow put one side has a part covering where you put your leg in. and portalman waht i meant was it's hollow but you have to drill the hole to one side of where you put your lege in unless you made completely hollow

there is actully two ways to do it i just thought of one lol
1. drill a hole threw it.
2. make it a two part piece then just buckle it together.
YAY!!!!! 100 posts

No... you don't make a 2 part piece.... (well you can, but its a lot easier to make one single cast)
Its hard to explain... just Google roto-casting or watch the video i linked. Its all in the video, just think of the helmet as the shin piece, after you finish casting it, it will be pretty much hollow right... so clean up the flack at the other end, were your leg goes and there you go!
the only part you will need to "drill" out (even then, you would use an engraver, not a drill) is the flack left behind by the casting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back