(Mostly) Recycled Halo Flood Infection Form

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty, some shots of the flood form after texturing - I'll get some better pictures once I've spray painted it.

DSC07146.JPG
DSC07147.JPG
DSC07149.JPG

Burning those lines in was horrible. You thought roasted EVA foam smelt bad, don't even try cooked foam clay. Had to do it in two goes because it is SERIOUSLY nasty.
I've also got a couple of tips I learnt about the Mod Podge/cotton wool technique (to reduce clumping) if anyone is gonna try it:
-Do it in small patches, not large areas
-Tear apart the cotton wool well before applying it
-When putting the layer of Mod Podge on top, don't brush it, but dab it on
Here is a video from Modulus Props if you haven't seen the technique before (although he does it a bit differently)

Prime time! The flood infection form is now ready for paint.
DSC07160.JPG

DSC07161.JPG

DSC07162.JPG

It was actually a little scary, I primed it yesterday and within 10 minutes of doing the second side it started pouring. Luckily looks like there's no harm done.

I really hope to see some of you tackle this, if you decide to go full scale and not just use recycled materials you could make it sooooo much better than this one!

This monstrosity is now done!
DSC07183.JPG
DSC07185.JPG

DSC07186.JPG

DSC07175.JPG

And a special bonus for the 405th, courtesy of the discord:
DSC07173.JPG

So this was really meant to be a quick project - I wanted to build something but couldn't order more materials, so I made did with what I had. It spanned out over a much longer time than planned, but eh, I'm pretty happy with it. Time to meme it!

LegacyAlloy227 I can't believe you went on with it, it was actually just a joke but that's hilarious! How big am I?

View attachment 292066View attachment 292067
View attachment 292069
View attachment 292070

View attachment 292071

So this was really meant to be a quick project - I wanted to build something but couldn't order more materials, so I made did with what I had. It spanned out over a much longer time than planned, but eh, I'm pretty happy with it. Time to meme it!

LegacyAlloy227 I can't believe you went on with it, it was actually just a joke but that's hilarious! How big am I?
Thank you for the googly eyes.

View attachment 292069
View attachment 292070

View attachment 292071

You're approximately four square feet.

View attachment 292069
View attachment 292070

View attachment 292071

Looks Awesome. although I prefer to stay as far as I can from it so I don't get infected.

Uh oh, looks like the lil' buddy found a friend (on the left).
DSC06548.jpg

DSC06549.jpg

DSC06551_01.jpg

Finished 817.5 hours into the build stream. I did things a bit differently with it - firstly, I made it so the legs are crawling rather than "standing". The tentacles have wire in them so they don't droop due to gravity. There's two claws on the front, because apparently they have that. Lastly, I tried a different method of painting, which I guess turned out OK but I prefer the first one. I also sealed it in Mod Podge to see how it would look with a shinier finish.

So, exciting stuff has happened since the last update. I got featured by Halo twice!
The first was on the community spotlight, where my babies were presented along with a lot of other awesome Halo artwork. But the biggest shock came yesterday when I saw this:

HaloFloodFeature2.PNG

I was featured on Halo's Instagram page! Truly happy to see my two good lil' popcorns strutting their stuff on Halo's official page.
Why am I making this post? Is it to brag? Heck no! No really, I swear!
It's to thank you guys for your enthusiasm about the project. Without your beautifully kind words and excitement shown, we probably wouldn't have done a build stream, which means flood buddy #2 wouldn't exist and I doubt all this would have ever happened.
Thank you, you beautiful nerds.

PS Another small message. I think the reason it landed on that page isn't because it's better than something else, but because it's different. That's the course I try to take with my work - not aiming to be better, but different and weird, whilst doing my best. Don't be afraid to tread where no one has gone before. Because that, my friends, is how we explore, learn and grow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back