Motorized Iron Man Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Man9312

Does anyone have any blue prints or has a tutorial on how to do it?? By Motorized I mean to have the face plate be able to go up and down by pressing a button. Please let me know!!

Yeah, unfortunately MasterLe doesn't want to share his secrets on how he motorized his helmet.

I think the best way would probably be with either a really small actuator or some kind rig set up around micro servos.

Dancin_Fool said:
Yeah, unfortunately MasterLe doesn't want to share his secrets on how he motorized his helmet.

I think the best way would probably be with either a really small actuator or some kind rig set up around micro servos.

you know I was actually thinking of using some servos. that could possibly work have you tried this method??

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen a tutorial, but here are a couple ideas:

Linear actuator: Expensive, and it might be hard to find one small enough. The benefit would be that they are electric, and you could hide the batteries somewhere convenient and remote.

Pneumatic piston: Size is probably good, since you can probably find a small piston. You could probably power it with a CO2 cartridge, or something, if you are clever. It might move faster than you want it to though.

Gear drive: I've seen CD players, and similar things, that when you open the lid it opens very slowly and controlled. I can't remember if they all dropped down, via gravity (which won't help you much), or if some opened upward. If you could find something like this, you might be able to replicate it or even just take the parts from it and adapt them. You also might be able to power it with a small motor and gear drive, but the motor may be hard to fit in there since it would have to be oriented in an inconvenient way.

Servo motor: A servo motor (from an R/C model) could do this very easily, and you could probably create a clever pushrod linkage that would allow you to stick the servo somewhere convenient. The downside of servos is that the signals that control them are complicated, and you would probably need to use a controller board, like an Arduino, to drive it. The upside would be that you could make it do very cool things, like raise and lower at different speeds, control multiple servos and other electronic things (like lights) at the same time, etc. It might be possible to not use a controller, and just design a circuit that generates the proper "pulse width modulation" signal to move the servo between two predetermined positions.

Awesomeness said:
I haven't seen a tutorial, but here are a couple ideas:

Linear actuator: Expensive, and it might be hard to find one small enough. The benefit would be that they are electric, and you could hide the batteries somewhere convenient and remote.

Pneumatic piston: Size is probably good, since you can probably find a small piston. You could probably power it with a CO2 cartridge, or something, if you are clever. It might move faster than you want it to though.

Gear drive: I've seen CD players, and similar things, that when you open the lid it opens very slowly and controlled. I can't remember if they all dropped down, via gravity (which won't help you much), or if some opened upward. If you could find something like this, you might be able to replicate it or even just take the parts from it and adapt them. You also might be able to power it with a small motor and gear drive, but the motor may be hard to fit in there since it would have to be oriented in an inconvenient way.

Servo motor: A servo motor (from an R/C model) could do this very easily, and you could probably create a clever pushrod linkage that would allow you to stick the servo somewhere convenient. The downside of servos is that the signals that control them are complicated, and you would probably need to use a controller board, like an Arduino, to drive it. The upside would be that you could make it do very cool things, like raise and lower at different speeds, control multiple servos and other electronic things (like lights) at the same time, etc. It might be possible to not use a controller, and just design a circuit that generates the proper "pulse width modulation" signal to move the servo between two predetermined positions.

haha I actually do have some r/c servos lying around since I do race nitro and electric r/c cars I just needed a few opinions on this!! i just need to finish up the suit before I start adding all of this. By the way does anyone know if camillos Iron man files need to be adjusted? I am about 6ft and about 190lbs athletic! Can anyone give me some feedback on as far as sizing? I am extremeley horrible!!

Iron Man9312 said:
haha I actually do have some r/c servos lying around since I do race nitro and electric r/c cars I just needed a few opinions on this!! i just need to finish up the suit before I start adding all of this. By the way does anyone know if camillos Iron man files need to be adjusted? I am about 6ft and about 190lbs athletic! Can anyone give me some feedback on as far as sizing? I am extremeley horrible!!

Hey check out Xtreme's scaling guide

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20044

well once you have the face plate cut off, you will need to attach 2 identical metal joints, these joint can be connected to the circular ear pieces on the inside. Before connecting it though you have to make it so the circular ear pieces can rotate while still being held in position. Then after the metal joins are connected you will have to dremel slits into the top of the helmet for the joints to slid into, then all you have to do is get 2 small motors to rotate the ear pieces and add a switch and you got yourself a motorized face plate. :)

if youre not wanting to home brew some of the electronics, i know that TMP over on therpf.com is getting ready to offer the motorized faceplate and lighted eyes as a kit. i dont know if you can get the kit separate, or if he will put it in a helm that isnt his, but its something to go with just in case. if youve never seen any of TMP's work, its phenomenal. as far as i know hes at the top of the ladder for iron man projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back