MrJamin's 3D Printed MK VI Master Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated Progress Pictures:

I got the "chipping: done on all of these pieces. Now on to hitting them with the airbrush.
IMG_3611.jpg

The forearms still need their chipping, but I was able to get a little detail color added last night.
IMG_3612.jpg

Updates coming in hot!

Last night I got the chipping done on the forearms and then moved on to weathering. I managed to get both forearms finished and also wrapped up the other shin.

294103583_1654652918238374_8550269593732067205_n.jpg
294448168_738447307430872_5245619046990886484_n.jpg

I didn't take as many pictures so only have these two. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but I am still blown away by how much even a quick weathering pass adds to the pieces.

Finished up all the weathering last night and brought the armor into the house to clean some of the dust off.

IMG_3622.jpg

(Wife is out of town on work so I could take over the counter without getting too in the way)

Tonight I made some more good progress:

Got all the pieces covered with a matte clear coat
IMG_3623.jpg

Got the acrylic installed in the thighs for the emitters:
IMG_3624.jpg

And got the boots muddied up a bit:
IMG_3626.jpg
IMG_3625.jpg

Warning - Picture heavy post.

The Deadline for C2E2 is rapidly approaching. I've been plugging away on prep and I think I'll be in a good spot for Friday.

(Man it is weird to see the end of the project that I started so long ago)

Also - wanted to give a massive shoutout to Ashuraa + Rock Lobbster for the details they have in the strapping post. Without that guidance I would have been so lost.

NobleofDeath16 TurboCharizard and many others also get props for answering questions + giving feedback as I have been bombarding different chats with these pictures.

First up was getting the leg strapping and then Cod + Butt done

Legs.jpg
Cod.jpg
Butt.jpg

The Ab wrap from EVAkura is simply amazing and actually helps hold some of the armor on better.
(and yes I realize the ab wrap is on backwards in these pictures)

After the legs and such were done my next focus was the chest + back. This took a bit more work and amazing assistance from my wife. There was no way I could have done this without her.
Chest.jpg
Back.jpg
Partial Suit Up 2.jpg
Partial Suit Up.jpg

(I couldn't resist doing a mini suit-up here :-D )

After the chest it was on to the arms.
Shoulder.jpg

The forearms will be a friction fit, but the biceps have a triangular shaped strap that sits in front and in back of my should to help keep them in place.

Arm 2.jpg
Arm 3.jpg
Arm.jpg

Once I had the arms figured out I was time to put them on with the chest to make sure alignment looked correct.

Chest and Arms.jpg

I am absolutely in love with this picture and how the chest and bicep fit together. When you put this armor on it is hard not to feel like an absolute tank (and I love it)

I need to do a little adjustment for the right shoulder and also to hide the little gap in the back between the ab wrap and the back piece (small piece of EVA foam stuck in for this picture.
Arms and Back.jpg

P.S - Also wanted to thank JGPenland for sharing some pictures of his strapping through messages too. It really gave me some ideas for how to do it.

Final Update for a while! (There are still a few things I want to do before I actually call this suit done)

I will say that this journey has basically reached the end. Last week Thursday night I finally did a full suit-up and got to see a dream of mine come into reality.

Suit 1.jpg
Suit 3.jpg
Suit 4.jpg
Suit 6.jpg

Even though I spent countless hours making this - I am still blown away by how it looked when it all came together.

My wife even took a video of me doing a full spin to see it from all angles:

(You can also see some of these images and the video up on Instagram - Login • Instagram)

After I did the suit-up on Thursday I packed it into a crate to drive down to Chicago on Friday for C2E2. This was my first time attending a convention and I wore the suit for ~6 Hours on Saturday. (Wore my Traxus on Friday with other folks)

Suit 7.jpg
DSC00152_v2.jpg

(photos credit of Benton188 and Fallen)

I honestly can't wait to see even more pictures from the weekend as they become available.

I wanted to add a second post so as to not have it get lost in the previous update.

I simply wanted to say thank you to all of the 405th. I started this journey back in 2019 not fully realizing what I was getting myself into, and I know that without everyone here there is no way I would have ever completed this suit. All of the encouragement, tips, tricks, and guidance are invaluable.

I also wanted to say a few specific thanks - This by no means is an exhaustive list, just what came to mind off the top of my head:

MoeSizzlac - Major credit for this suit goes to you. It is printed using your files and you even helped update / recreate some of the files for me along they way. To top it off - these files are 100% free and I am still in awe.

JGPenland - You were a major motivating factor behind me taking this project on. I saw your Reddit post when you made your suit and you even were the first person to point me to the 405th. You also helped me towards the very end by sharing pictures of how you did some of your strapping.
1660060346735.png

TurboCharizard - I feel like I have asked you 1000's of questions through the process. You have always been helpful and even gone out of your way to help and teach me new things. I've learned so many new things and been pushed out of my comfort zone (in a good way) thanks to you.

Angus314 and Rock Lobbster - The number of 3D printing questions that I have asked you both is too high to count. For someone that was very new to 3D printing when starting this project you were amazing resources.

NobleofDeath16 and Fallen - You both are amazing artists. The weathering + painting on this suit was directly impacted by observing + chatting with both of you.

Ashuraa and Rock Lobbster - Your thread on strapping was so helpful. This is the first time I've tried making a costume anywhere near this. I will post some updates on my strapping as it was directly influenced by your methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back