MrJamin's 3D Printed MK VI Master Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.
No difference. When I first started uploading, I didn't know if people would figure out that it's the same file just labeled differently. I had a lot of messages asking for the other piece. Now I just started putting in the file name - "Print 2 of these" hoping that they get it.

So are you printing a bicep/shoulder piece now?
Started with one part of the right forearm

Weekend Update:

The forearm finished printing successfully! I also got some time to work on assembling the helmet.
IMG_20191110_113314.JPG

I super glued it together and then reinforced with hot glue on the inside.

IMG_20191110_231438.JPG

Any great tips for getting it ready for paint?

I don't know how well hot glue is for reinforcing, but a few of us swear by Shoe Goo for reinforcing seams on the inside. however that you will want to do outside and let the helmet sit somewhere like a basement or garage for a day because of the fumes that stuff puts off.

Also regarding getting ready for paint, are you referring to how to reduce print lines? If not I'd suggest going over it first with some rustoleum 2 in 1 filler primer.
Looking great btw.

Update since it has been a bit.

I have been working on printing and am making some progress
IMG_20191118_220142.JPG

Right arm is done and currently working on left. I've also been working on cleaning up the helmet. I'd love to get a coat of filler primer on it but it is currently too cold to do it in my garage and the basement is out of the question. (might have to wait until spring to do a lot of pieces together.

Edit: Also - Sadly I was unable to get tickets for Comic Con. I will need to come up with a new end goal to have the suit ready for.

Update since it has been a bit.

I have been working on printing and am making some progress
View attachment 280701

Right arm is done and currently working on left. I've also been working on cleaning up the helmet. I'd love to get a coat of filler primer on it but it is currently too cold to do it in my garage and the basement is out of the question. (might have to wait until spring to do a lot of pieces together.

Edit: Also - Sadly I was unable to get tickets for Comic Con. I will need to come up with a new end goal to have the suit ready for.
Madison Freak Fest..? Thats even further away though haha. I was gonna wear my suit to it this year but it rained out.

I am a bit of a nerd (who would have guessed) and wanted to track my progress on getting the suit fully printed. I saw the fancy Excel file that MoeSizzlac used for his build and decided to work on my own.

Here is my breakdown of all the parts / time to print / filament used / etc.

Excel.JPG

The grand total for print time ends up being ~37.5 days. (I have around 7 days of it completed already)

Progress Update:

The amount of green plastic keeps growing. Currently working on the right shin piece.

IMG_20191201_215328.JPG

I also made an error which I will have to circle back to.

IMG_20191201_215350.JPG

(I've hear the expression of two left feet, but I managed to print two right ones)

Current remaining print time (not including fixing my mistake and any potential others) - ~22.5 Days

At my current print rate I should hopefully have everything printed (with some buffer) by the middle of January. (I need to print a few things for others for Christmas which will take some printer time)

Double check your supports. I just had the exact thing happen to me. On my print i had a very tall and very thin support which toppled over mid print. Of course the printer thinks the support is still there and causes the madness you see. I think its better to have large supports and waste pla on the supports then have to restart a print.

Also every thing is looking amazing.

What glue did you use to assemble all the helmet pieces?

Double check your supports. I just had the exact thing happen to me. On my print i had a very tall and very thin support which toppled over mid print. Of course the printer thinks the support is still there and causes the madness you see. I think its better to have large supports and waste pla on the supports then have to restart a print.

Also every thing is looking amazing.

What glue did you use to assemble all the helmet pieces?

I ran the print again without any modifications to the sliced file. I raised the bed temperature 5 degrees and slowed the print down to 80% and it worked just fine.

Here are my other recently assembled prints (the failed one was part of the right thigh which is partially finished up at the top)
IMG_20191211_153428.JPG

For the helmet I used a some super glue and some plastic cement. (weld-on 16). I reinforced all of the joints from the inside with hot glue too.
IMG_20191211_153334.JPG

I plan to glue padding to the inside too and this should additionally help hold it together. (it feels super sturdy as it is)

Hey JGPenland MoeSizzlac - Question for you guys.

I recently finished assembling the shin pieces. I scaled them to fit correctly but I am having an issue getting my foot through them. Did either of you encounter this and if so how did you fix it? I'd like to try to avoid printing them bigger just to be able to get my feet through.

Hey JGPenland MoeSizzlac - Question for you guys.

I recently finished assembling the shin pieces. I scaled them to fit correctly but I am having an issue getting my foot through them. Did either of you encounter this and if so how did you fix it? I'd like to try to avoid printing them bigger just to be able to get my feet through.

You can do what I did...or something similar.

Take the forearms for example: I cut out a piece (very finely) off of the forearm and reattached it using Stretchrite and hot glue. This will allow the armor to flex for you.

20190208_074158.jpg
20190208_074213.jpg
20190208_074223.jpg

Now use this same technique with the Shin only take out the lower back portion:

Untitled.jpg

Wow - I realized that it has been a while since I posted an update. Still working through printing everything. (making Christmas gifts took quite some time this year)

I have finished the right thigh and am currently printing the left one (1/4 prints).

I had a fun one when printing the final piece of the right thigh
IMG_20200105_201907.JPG

The supports failed and then managed to come back. In the end the print finished without issues.

Sadly my 3D printer is currently out of commission. (waiting on a part before I can fix it). Progress has slowed and I don't think I'll finish printing in January.

Checking back in (so you don't think I've abandoned) The new part for my printer just arrived today and I should be able to get it installed one night yet this week. Once that is in I will get back rolling on this project!

Ugh finally. After replacing the thermistor on my printer one of the fans failed. I had to wait for the new part to ship before I could finally get it installed. (again)

Good news though - I came home from work today to this waiting for me!

IMG_20200219_173647.JPG

This means that the only parts I have left to print are for the torso. (12 prints) I can finally see the light at the end of this projects tunnel

The final prints will be rolling off of my printer this weekend! Onto the next steps of getting them as far prepped as I can while I wait for the lovely Wisconsin weather to warm up for primer / paint.

This is my list of tasks going forward: (some of which I need to figure out how to do and only somewhat in order)
  • Prep Armor
    • Glue together
    • fill any large gaps
    • strengthen pieces where necessary
    • address any rough spots
  • Priming
    • get surfaces ready for final paint using filler primer / XTC-3D (anyone have experience with this?)
    • sanding / repeating as necessary to get the surface nice
  • Final Painting
    • Paint large areas
    • Detail painting
    • Weathering / make it look lived in
  • Decals
    • *Thankfully my wife has a vinyl cutter so this part should be easy
      • Thinking a 117 for the chest + some UNSC logos (appreciate any thoughts / suggestions)
  • Undersuit
    • want to make a suit like JGPenland (I just need to learn how to do it)
  • Wear
    • Need to determine how to wear / attach everything to me
      • Oddly this is the part that I feel the most lost about.
  • Details
    • Need to determine a neck seal and torso wrap
  • Weapons
    • Need to make at lease one weapon to go with this
  • ...?
  • Profit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back