MrJamin's 3D Printed MK VI Master Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet still a long way to go.
Screenshot_20211227-162409_Instagram.jpg

Took a stab at doing some work with the fiberglass tonight! I decided to do the butt plate first since it wouldn't be too hard to redo it if I totally screwed it up.

Before:
IMG_2818.jpg

After
IMG_2819.jpg

Also - massive shoutout to Off Earth - I saw his post on Instagram about using a roller cutter to cut the fiberglass cloth
1641440914607.png

This works amazingly and is 100% worth the 9$ for anyone that plans on working with fiberglass

Took a stab at doing some work with the fiberglass tonight! I decided to do the butt plate first since it wouldn't be too hard to redo it if I totally screwed it up.

Before:
View attachment 312757
After
View attachment 312758

Also - massive shoutout to Off Earth - I saw his post on Instagram about using a roller cutter to cut the fiberglass cloth
View attachment 312759
This works amazingly and is 100% worth the 9$ for anyone that plans on working with fiberglass
Oh yeah man this thing beats destroying scissors. It can cut thick layers like butter.

Why didn't I know/think of this before!? Will keep this in mind next time I need to fiberglass something.

OK - Getting back to this now that some time has passed and Traxus has been completed (yes pictures will eventually come for that)

It was awesome to be able to go out to the LA event and I learned so much from being able to see others armors in person! Now that we are past that I wanted to really get down to wrapping this suit up (ride the wave of motivation!)

I've tried to make a list of everything that needs to get done for this project to (finally) be wrapped up.

MKVI To Do List: (not necessarily in order)
- Fiberglass:
- Thighs
- Biceps
- Forearms
- Shins
- Reprint Hand plates (current ones too small)
- Figure out Size / Print Boot pieces
- Make Duct Tape Dummy + Take Measurements for under suit
- Sanding all remaining pieces
- More Sanding
- Prime
- Even More Sanding
- More Priming
- Final Sanding
- Base coat (black)
- Color coat
- Weathering
- Install Lights in Thighs
- Install Lights in Shoulders
- Strapping + Padding

I am 100% sure that I've forgotten some details, but this list is a good starting point and allowed me to make this:

MKVI To Do.png

I know that these dates will likely slip, but I feel the need to try to get this somewhat "scheduled" so that I actually make progress on it and don't try to cram it in the last few weeks before C2E2.

That is quite the schedule there... and the color coding. You'll get it done. Curious, what are the "Bonus" scheduled items for?

MrJamin
You never say what kind of filament you used or are ordering.
Let me suggest you not use PLA. Its common for people starting in 3d printing but not a good choice for cosplay & armor. It has a lower transition point meaning its going to get soft and warp at lower temps. You don't want your armor deforming while in the trunk of your car, or in luggage on the tarmac of a flight to a convention, etc.

PETG or ASA both have a higher temp range and more resilance to impact and stress before shattering.

MrJamin
You never say what kind of filament you used or are ordering.
Let me suggest you not use PLA. Its common for people starting in 3d printing but not a good choice for cosplay & armor. It has a lower transition point meaning its going to get soft and warp at lower temps. You don't want your armor deforming while in the trunk of your car, or in luggage on the tarmac of a flight to a convention, etc.

PETG or ASA both have a higher temp range and more resilance to impact and stress before shattering.

I've already printed the entire suit using PLA (and learned the hard way about leaving it out in the sun. That is part of the reason I am going back and reinforcing pieces with fiberglass now.

Well I should be a week into my project plan, and I currently have made no progress. :(

However, it isn't without reason. We are currently in the process of finishing our basement and for about 14-ish hours at night last week I was running low voltage cables all around.

In the end I ran:
- 125 FT of Coaxial
- 25 FT of HDMI
- ~300 Feet of Speaker Wire
- ~500 Feet of CAT 6

Future IT Space + Printer Space Under the Stairs
Wires.pngWires 2.pngStairs.png

Home Theater Space
Speakers.pngMovie Space.png

Main Room Music Speakers
Music Speakers.png

Well I should be a week into my project plan, and I currently have made no progress. :(

However, it isn't without reason. We are currently in the process of finishing our basement and for about 14-ish hours at night last week I was running low voltage cables all around.

In the end I ran:
- 125 FT of Coaxial
- 25 FT of HDMI
- ~300 Feet of Speaker Wire
- ~500 Feet of CAT 6

Future IT Space + Printer Space Under the Stairs
View attachment 316869View attachment 316867View attachment 316872

Home Theater Space
View attachment 316871View attachment 316870

Main Room Music Speakers
View attachment 316868
Man that's a lot of cable! Once did a networking job with my dad and we only ran like 150 feet and I thought that was a lot of work. I can't imagine how long it would take to lay all that cable! Your basement looks like it's going to be sweet though!

Man that's a lot of cable! Once did a networking job with my dad and we only ran like 150 feet and I thought that was a lot of work. I can't imagine how long it would take to lay all that cable! Your basement looks like it's going to be sweet though!
I bought a 1000' box when I moved into my house and after doing the basement I have ~60 feel left of that whole box :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back