Mroreo123's Armor Scaling And Measurement Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

mroreo123

(The latest versions of my Measuring and Scaling program will always be here in the first post.)

Pepakura Measuring and Scaling Tool by MrOreo123 v1.exe

I liked XtremeTACTICS101's tutorial for scaling armor so much, I was inspired to write a program to minimize all the math and just simply give you the proper measurements you should scale your armor pieces to.

To use it, load up any full body picture of the Chief (or Iron Man, or GoW...you get the picture) where he is standing FULLY UPRIGHT and NOT in an action pose. I took pics of my 12" Master Chief I just got to use for reference:

Make sure you can see him from head to toe without having to scroll the screen up and down. If you want to quickly try out the program, you can even just use the picture above. Just leave your browser open.

Next, load up my program. It will tell you to move your mouse to the very top of the character (usually the top of the helmet). Press the CTRL button. Next move the mouse to the bottom of the character and hit CTRL again (make sure you click where the HEEL would be, not the toe, even if the heel is a little higher than the very bottom. Remember, you're measuring the character's height, not the height of the picture). Congratulations, you just measured the Chief's height in pixels. Now you'll enter YOUR height in either feet/inches, just inches, or centimeters. Follow the on-screen instructions for how to do that:

PepakuraMeasuringandScalingTool-Hei.jpg

PepakuraMeasuringandScalingTool-Uni.jpg

Now that the program knows how many pixels tall YOU are, we can move on to the fun part: measuring all the different armor parts. Using the same method of moving the mouse and pressing CTRL at opposite ends of the armor pieces (remember, you're not CTRL-clicking, just hit CTRL by itself), we can record all the measurements you need for all the armor pieces, one piece at a time. After you make each measurement, it will ask you to name it:

PepakuraMeasuringandScalingTool-Mea.jpg

Then it will ask if you're done after each measurement:

PepakuraMeasuringandScalingTool-Don.jpg

When you're finally done measuring (I recommend measuring both height and width, just to have them to compare), it will load up notepad and paste all your measurements for you. From there, you can save it or email them to yourself or whatever.

Let me know if you run into any bugs, and happy armor making!

P.S.

Keep in mind that these measurements are for Master Chief proportioned armor. You might've scaled him to your height, but if you don't have the body of an Olympian like me (yeah right! :rolleyes ), then you'll have to take that into account when you enter the measurements for your own armor.

Neat tool.

I'll try and find some time to compare it to some of the measurements I took with a good 'ol ruler, reference pictures, and calculator and see how they compare. But first I need to find my calculator...which I swore was in front of me an hour ago.

Right now it seems to give me a little larger measurements, but I also padded my height a little bit like it suggested.

Okay I just tested it out again with the ODST legs using the picture of Romeo fiddling with his goggles. The height was input at 5'11. I measured both legs and got around 40cm on one click, 37 on another, and 43. So the three measurements average around 40 cm. The WETA legs (by default scaled for 5'11") are listed as being 410 cm in pepakura, but they also have a boot piece sticking out of the pep file, so I think that measurement's pretty darn close.

Hi All

I know this thread is old but thought I would Bump it as the measuring tool is great. Worked very well for me so far.

Cheers

Allan

Why the hell does this not have more replies? This is an astounding tool for figuring out a rough basic starter point for measurments. Infact, it deserves a stickie position in the pepakura section. User reults may vary, but I guarantee you it will save a lot more cardstock.

Mr Oreo's pic of his 12" Master Chief seems to have been lost in the forum change.

Here is a pic that can likely be used instead:

12masterchief.jpg

Does this work with ODST/NOBLE6-REACH or only Master Chief? If it works for things other than MC, im sure this will be great.

Does this work with ODST/NOBLE6-REACH or only Master Chief? If it works for things other than MC, im sure this will be great.
It works for any character. The key is to get a properly-posed reference pic, like the ones a few posts above.

Hi guys,
Newbie to 405th, love the work and community :) this program is excellent, i HIGHLY recommend it to anyone and everyone wanting to get sizes for their armor. I'm not sure if it is but I hope this gets bumped to or made Sticky (I actually found the thread using google)

just wondering why this is not working for me. I start the program, it promptly asks to move my mouse to the top of the character and to press CTRL. I did that, then it immediately went to asking what my height is.

I thought it was supposed to:

1) Ctrl at top of character
2) ctrl at bottom of character to get the height
3) ask for my height

It seems to be skipping #2

ETA: and I'm getting these types of results:

helmet = cm
chest = cm

Nothing being recorded

just wondering why this is not working for me. I start the program, it promptly asks to move my mouse to the top of the character and to press CTRL. I did that, then it immediately went to asking what my height is.

I thought it was supposed to:

1) Ctrl at top of character
2) ctrl at bottom of character to get the height
3) ask for my height

It seems to be skipping #2

ETA: and I'm getting these types of results:

helmet = cm
chest = cm

Nothing being recorded

Hey there, I had a similar problem. You have to do his program in your internet browser. Also, can someone give me a good pic of noble six standing up straight? I'm having trouble finding one.

Sorry for the slight necro here but I haven't seen anyone else post this for MK VI reference. This is great for all angles. The only difficult piece is the hand plate but you can still get a good height measurement.

Mk6MjolnirPoweredBattleArmor.jpg

So far all the scaling I've done using this with Mroreo123's tool has been near perfect. I use two measurements and scale Pepakura view to get as close to both as possible.

Is there any way to change the height, width, or depth independently of the other values? I've got an arm piece that fits great on my wrist, but is so long the end runs past my elbow so I can't bend my arm. Any advice?

Is there any way to change the height, width, or depth independently of the other values? I've got an arm piece that fits great on my wrist, but is so long the end runs past my elbow so I can't bend my arm. Any advice?

No, because then the proportions of the pieces would be off. The only way to accomplish this is to modify the original 3D file that the Pep file was derived from, and you would need not only the skill to do that, but also the original author's permission.

It sounds like your scaling is simply off. If you can not bend your elbow, than it seems that you've scaled the piece too large. Don't forget that you can always enlarge the wrist opening if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back