My armor, from Slyfo's models. (Update, more pics in last post.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The string was hot glued to the helm, before I applied my resin... you could try taking a piece of sand paper, scuffing a spot on the under side of the brim and on the visor, and super glueing a string in place.... but as for strong, I did it before resin, so it didn't have to be to strong to just pull a bit on the card stock itself........

Spase said:
The string was hot glued to the helm, before I applied my resin... you could try taking a piece of sand paper, scuffing a spot on the under side of the brim and on the visor, and super glueing a string in place.... but as for strong, I did it before resin, so it didn't have to be to strong to just pull a bit on the card stock itself........

Crap. Lol, I guess I'll have to see how tape will hold up against the rigors of resin. I'm on my second coat now, so hopefully I should be able to coat the whole thing at once instead of sections since it should have the support it needs. I can just tape, resin the whole lot and watch it for 15 minutes while it dries.

Quick question while I'm here, hopefully there would be an answer available for when I get home from work in 20 minutes. After the first coat of resin, is it safe to cut out the paper visor? Or should I wait for the 2nd coat, then cut it out when I go to work on the inside?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sikarian said:
Crap. Lol, I guess I'll have to see how tape will hold up against the rigors of resin. I'm on my second coat now, so hopefully I should be able to coat the whole thing at once instead of sections since it should have the support it needs. I can just tape, resin the whole lot and watch it for 15 minutes while it dries.
Quick question while I'm here, hopefully there would be an answer available for when I get home from work in 20 minutes. After the first coat of resin, is it safe to cut out the paper visor? Or should I wait for the 2nd coat, then cut it out when I go to work on the inside?
when i made my helmet, i cut the visor out before the resining, it turned out fine, but if you wanna resin it and then try to cut it out. Go for it.

Sikarian said:

This would, imo, be determined by how "stiff" your hlem is. I am leaving mine in until all sanding and detailing is done to make aboslutly sure there is no cracking or warping... then I will cut out the paper visor, test fit the actual visor, install the padding and elctronics, prime my helmet, test fit the actual visor again, paint and then install the visor... but this is just me doing it...

wow, i was resining my helm and forgot to fix the brim. so i yelled at my brother to bring some tape.. and it was all good.

UPDATES

splinter cell goggles- for the guy who asked for pics. (sorry it's too dark... used plumbing tubes + safety goggles painted flat black,)
n762560127_1468545_8596.jpg

respirator
n762560127_1468544_8328.jpg

torso- back
n762560127_1468479_4221.jpg

torso- front (incomplete)
n762560127_1468480_4561.jpg

Resined pieces (going to resin another layer... damn it cures fast! Helmet, forearms.)
n762560127_1468481_4847.jpg

paint
n762560127_1468543_8033.jpg

btw, this is my first set of armor. first time pepakura, first time resining and glassing, first time dealing with dangerous fumes.

lol about the "I forgot" I was mixing hardener and glaze today then went to go put it on the helm and realized I had forgot to tape off the the section I was working on... I noob it

Glad the Brim came out ok.... looks like you are going from the H3 campaign paint scheme?...

yup.. im using the same stuff (most of them exactly the same stuff) as adam did in his tutorial video. i can't figure out what kinda black he used though... mine dries kinda fast and dries a lot and leaves marks if i try to smudge it. or is it because i tried it on a cereal box?

Its the cereal box that caused it....it probably didn't dry so much as the box material is porous and absorbs the paint very fast.... and old 3 liter soda bottle will do the trick, it has no pores and the paint wont dry as fast if you want something to practice on...

so im guessing bondo putty or glaze will be even better to smudge on?
im guessing glaze will be better cuz it won't have all the pores.

Pores and pin holes are just something I would have to fill later if I wanted it to look good.... I use glaze because the pin holes are minimized and it self levels as you put it on, draw back is that you have to work in smaller sections, you can't just putty away the whole helm and the start carving away like its a sculpture... until you use one or the other its only a matter of opinion which will work better...

so it's not quite like play-doh soft, but even softer so it self levels? does it stick well to resin and paper?

also, do you think a 30 oz bottle would be enough to cover the whole suit?

cys920622 said:
wow, i was resining my helm and forgot to fix the brim. so i yelled at my brother to bring some tape.. and it was all good.

"In the beginning cys920622 made a pepakura helm, and he said it was all good."

resined biceps and hands today. hoping to resin torso later.

the actual paint brushes (the ones with bristles on them or whatever, hairs, i duno) freeze up after each batch! wasted 2 brushes doing that today.

last time i used one sponge brush and it held through the whole process (helmet, forearms) except in the end, it started slightly falling apart.
but it's way better than using a brush.

Hey bro, do you have a link to the pep files for the chest piece of slyfo's model? Im almost done with my armor, but my chest aand backpack got all warped during the resin stage and i want to redo them with those awesome files. If you could post up a link i would very much appreciate it. Thanx in advance.

Major Pain said:
Hey bro, do you have a link to the pep files for the chest piece of slyfo's model? Im almost done with my armor, but my chest aand backpack got all warped during the resin stage and i want to redo them with those awesome files. If you could post up a link i would very much appreciate it. Thanx in advance.

slyfo's thread

and you're welcome. make sure you make good glue joints and 120lb cardstock if the 60lb warped on you.

Could you possibly take a picture of you wearing the bicep pieces? For some reason i'm having a hard time deciding between those and the ones in the sticky. I just can't picture them for some reason. @_@

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back